"The computer in my cell phone today is amillion times cheaper and a thousand timesmore powerful than the computer that weused at MIT when I was an undergraduate," he says. "Thats a billion-foldincrease. And well do that again in the next25 years.Ray Kurzweil Source: http://www.newsweek.com/id/197812/page/3
Who are these guys and what do they have in common?Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Brin, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_page,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Dorsey, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_berners-lee
Technologists (programmers) are driving cultural, social,and economic change. Mark Sergey Larry Jack TimZuckerberg Brin Page Dorsey Berners-LeeSource: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Brin, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_page,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Dorsey, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_berners-lee, www.facebook.com, www.google.com, www.twitter.com, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web_Consortium
Rapid advancements in technology arebringing about tremendous disruption to ourbusiness.
Back to titles. The industry has rallied around the title “Creative Technologist”Source: http://markavnet.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/what-the-heck-is-a-creative-technologist/, http://www.thefwa.com/job/creative-technologist-1oe,http://www.impactful-conversations.com/2010/07/creative-technologist-new-role-in.html
Number of Posts 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 700 Jan Feb Mar Apr May is growing. Jun 2009 Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr 1.1.09 ‐ 7.13.11 May Jun 2010 Jul Crea/ve Technologist(s) Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb And conversation and buzz on the topic Mar Apr 2011 May Jun Jul
2) The creative technologist leadsstrategic and creative thinking for brandutilities and platforms.
This isn’t throw away brochure-ware. These are major brand investments that need to be architected to live over the long term. Source: nikeplus.com, ﬁat.com/ecodrive,www.dominos.com/pages/tracker.jsp, www.openforum.com
Brand utility can become the driver for broader brand messaging.Source: http://more.dominos.com/wp/2011/07/times-square/, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Q2Y2ZQ-4Y
3) The creative technologist bringsemerging technology thinking into thecreative concepting process.
A couple of years ago our toolkit wassomewhat limited: - Flash - HTML - Video - Databases
Technologies in our now toolkit include:- Flash - Tablet devices- HTML - Augmented reality- Video - Voice recognition and audio detection- Databases - Physical computing- Mobile - Augmented reality- Facebook - NFC- Twitter - E-readers- Geo-location - Connected TV- Multi-touch interfaces - Automotive technologies- APIs/Mashups - Robotics- Near ﬁeld communications
This year’s Cannes winners show the wide range of possibilities.Source: http://www.canneslions.com/work/cyber/index.cfm?award=1
4) The creative technologist managescomplexity and change.
Rapid advances in technology can beintimidating and overwhelming.
With an in-depth understanding of corecomputer science and IT principles, thisrapid change and complexity ismanageable.
The ecosystem will continue to expand andgrow in complexity.
5) The creative technologist builds earlyprototypes to test ideas, interactions, andfunctionality.This creates momentum and is veryhelpful in selling through ideas.
8) The creative technologist sparkscreative thinking through emergingtechnology research andexperimentation.
Art, science, and play had merged into the magical activity of programming, with every hacker an omnipotent master of the flow of information within the machine. Steven Levy, Hackers: Heroes of the Computer RevolutionSource: http://www.amazon.com/Hackers-Heroes-Computer-Revolution-Anniversary/dp/1449388396/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291568052&sr=8-1
4) Understand that frequent change ispart of the creative process.
5) Be respectful of the creative visionand strive for pixel perfection.
5 points to consider when introducingtechnology into a traditionalenvironment.
1) Hire technologists who cancommunicate and collaborate
2) Include technologists in the fullproject lifecycle – from initial researchand brieﬁng, to concepting, through ﬁnalproject delivery.
3) Understand that making software is asigniﬁcantly different process thanmaking TV, print, or radio. Be respectfulof the complexity and timerequirements.
4) Train technologists on traditionalmarketing and branding principles.
5) Position technologists to educateclients on emerging technology trends.
Good resources on technology Blogs - Creative technologist group on LinkedIn www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2830357 - radar.oreilly.com" - www.digitalbuzzblog.com Books - HTML and XHTML: The Deﬁnitive Guide, Chuck Musciano and Bill Kennedy - Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution, Steven Levy Industry Organizations - 4A’s Creative Technologies Committee"