What is this?
More than information and
technology, the Internet is about…
• connectivity, and
Networked Life & Learning
The "Calling" of the Online Learner
• The balance of different callings.
• Achieving personal goals.
• Helping to cultivating a learning community.
• Building a learning network.
The Personal Learning Network
(and why it matters for your students)
“A personal learning network is an informal learning network that consists of
people a learner interacts with and derives knowledge from in a personal
– from the learning network known as Wikipedia
The Personal Teaching Network
(and why it matters for you and your students)
How to Build a Personal Teaching Network - http://wp.me/p2WRHF-q5
Infographic on the Personal Teaching Network - http://wp.me/p2WRHF-se
This is an excellent and simple video tutorial to get started - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdP2IF7g03E
3. Google Hangouts (and On Air)
10 Features and 100+ Uses for Google Hangouts - http://etale.org/main/2013/03/14/10-features-links-to-100-uses-for-google-hangouts/
4. Social Bookmarking – Diigo
How to Create a Diigo Account - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At_tWCcGF8s
7 Reasons Why I Blog - http://wp.me/p2WRHF-IO
7 Uses for Blogs in Higher Education - http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/help/2011/02/22/7-uses-for-blogs-in-higher-education/
6. The Collective Essay – Google Docs
The Collective Essay - http://etale.org/main/2013/01/07/the-online-collective-essay-reflections-on-day-2-of-moocmooc/
Get started with this Google Docs Tutorial :http://ansonalex.com/tutorials/google-docs-and-google-drive-video-tutorial-2013/
Cooperative Learning vs Digital Age Collaboration - http://wp.me/p2WRHF-aY
7. Encourage Students to Think and Be
a Digital Learning Community
• Communicate early and often.
• Be really curious.
• Look for and reach out to specific individuals.
• Self-organize student activities (self-blended
• Encourage and affirm.
• Challenge and question.
• Build upon the ideas of others.
7 Ways for Online Learners to Cultivate a Learning Community
Online Learning Through
Community, Connectivity and
Dr. Bernard Bull