View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
• Polygamy is a rare practice where one man has multiple wives and usually many
• It is also known as plural marriage because one man will have multiple spouses.
• Some different religions around the world practice polygamy. In the U.S.
polygamy is illegal outside of the Mormon church.
• In the U.S. the Mormon religion is the only religion that practices polygamy
and out of the 6 million Mormons in America only 37,000 (less than 1%) live in
• The practice of polygamy was introduced to the Mormon religion by Joseph
Smith Jr. who also started the Mormon religion.
• Utah along with Texas, Arizona and Colorado are the states where the
majority of America’s polygamists live.
Things to Consider
• In polygamous marriages girls as young as 14 can be matched or sealed to a
middle-aged man. Often times these situations cause sexual or other abuse.
• If you as much as question any aspect of polygamy or the Mormon religion
you will never be welcome or ﬁt into the polygamist society again.
• Women have fewer rights than men in polygamous marriages and their
fathers can beat them or threaten them if their fathers forces them to a
marry and they refuse.
• Lots of underaged pregnancies occur in polygamist marriages. The majority
of which are teen pregnancies, which is against the law.
My position on this issue is to prohibit Mormon polygamy in the
U.S. My reasoning for this is the amount of sexual abuse within
polygamous families where a man has been matched or sealed to
a teenager and she has been impregnated, which is breaking the
law. The prophet of the modern day polygamists is in jail for
these reasons plus the accomplice of rape and the officiation
of a wedding between a minor and an adult. These are just some
of the negative aspects of polygamy.
Counter Argument Rebuttal
• The Mormons who practice •Polygamist children have very
polygamy strongly believe that little exposure to the outside
the environment that they live in world and lack important life
is a healthy and happy skills, like the ability to
environment that does not include function in society. Women lack
television, junk food and social these abilities as well.
pressure of the outside world. •While husbands have many
Polygamists spouses they will often sexually
•Polygamists also believe that by abuse or impregnate younger
obtaining many spouses they are wives that have been sealed to
populating and replenishing the them which is breaking the law.
My essential question was: Should Mormon polygamy be allowed in the U.S.? No, I
think that polygamy should be prohibited in the U.S. Firstly, within polygamist marriages
there is lots of underaged marriage and sexual abuse; secondly, women have fewer rights
such as if men are found unworthy, all of their wives and transferred to another man
without question; thirdly, if you ever question polygamy or Mormonism you will never be
welcome into the society again; lastly, if a father forces his daughter into a marriage and she
questions him she could be threatened or even beaten. These are the reasons that I think
Mormon polygamy should be prohibited in the U.S.