Mobile Learning PresentationPresentation Transcript
Mobile Learning: Is technology always better? Group 3: Trish Carlson, Julie Howe, Heather Mayernik, Craig McMichael, John Phillips CEP 810-733
A cell phone is a telecommunication device that emits a signal through…
An audible signal
A visual display of a message (Aldine 2007)
What is a Cell Phone?
According to recent survey by US News and World Report, a whopping one-third of teens use a cell phone to cheat in school (2009). So, how are students able to use a cell phone to cheat? By taking/sending pictures of exam questions or answers By sending and accessing text and SMS messaging By accessing websites and URL’s Cell Phones: A Tool for Cheating
Sending sexually explicit photos is distribution of child pornography and it is a felony.
Cyber Bullying with Texting
Cyber bullying via the cell phone.
A tech savvy teen could send a flaming text message to someone across the room or building in a matter of seconds and the teacher would never know what happened.
im not lol r u “The text message writing style aims at getting as much said with as few words as possible… The shorthand style is not suitable in formal or classroom writing, and the fact that it is becoming students' primary form of writing is a serious problem.” Text Speak
Not all students own a cell phone A study by Pew Research showed that 85% of married households have multiple cell phones, though only 57% of children in these families owned a cell phone. Socio-economic factors also contribute to students not having cell phones. Cell Phone Accessibility
Another study suggests that 75% of teenagers have a cell phone, but what about the other 25%? Lack of cell phones can lead to jealousy, and an increased theft rate. Cell Phone Accessibility (cont.)
All cell phones are not created equally. Many bloggers who have posted on the topic of cell phone use have suggested applications that require students to have a more advanced phone. Cell Phone Accessibility (cont.)
Cell Phones: A Distraction in the Classroom Types of Distractions The “rude” distraction The “covert” distraction Student Appeal One Student’s Advice
Solution 2) The “real world” solution 1) The “perfect world” solution
What About the Teachers Do they know enough?
“Tech savvy teachers are asking students to use their phones to record foreign language assignments, take photographs for projects and do mini-Internet searches if they have a Web browser.” What is wrong with this?
Most Teachers Today Grew Up Using This Phone. Ring Ring
Every phone is different. Where will teachers learn about the many different kinds of cell phones? Technology will always be advancing. Teachers are not ready for this. Cell Phone Lesson Plans!
There is too much of a divide between what a student wants to do and what the teacher needs to teach. "My smmrholswr CWOT. B4, we used 2go2 NY 2C my bro, his GF & thr 3 :- kids FTF. ILNY, it's a gr8 plc."
Do teachers really have to learn this foreign texting language to teach with cell phones. Cell Phones are not worth it.
Cell phones are not a useful technology to use in the classroom. Too many issues still arise such as: Cheating Cyber Bullying Sexting Accessibility The Distraction of a phone Text Speak Lack of teacher resources Keep the cell phones at home! Conclusion