the Center for Creative Leadership for 15 years and
over saw the most exhaustive research ever
conducted on leadership success.
Eichinger served as head of O.D. for Pepsi and
was a successful international consultant.
Turn the extensive research conducted at
CCL into a suite of HR tools that would help
HR professionals become business partners.
Overtime the tool set was expanded to include
1. Total Suite of integrated Business/HR Tools including instruments for selection, Performance Management, Personal Development, Team Performance, Change Management and Succession Planning.
2. Competency Model involved over 15 years of research conducted at the Center for Creative Leadership.
3. Process allows organizations to select a set of Competencies (success profiles) that can be directly linked to improved Organizational Capability and Results.
4. Competencies have been correlated and validated to Performance, Potential, Relationship Skills, Emotional Intelligence and Myers Briggs.
Lominger Advantages - Continued
5. Competencies are weighed by difficulty to learn which has implications for both selection and the effort required to develop individuals.
6. Each competency has a set of practical remedies and assignments that can be included in a Personal Development Plan.
7. Certification is required on 50% of the instruments, but no recertification is needed.
8. Most instruments available in paper, electronic and web based applications.
Lominger Advantages - Continued
9. Multi-Rater feedback tool asks both importance and skill
level helping individuals target the biggest gaps between
Importance and Skill.
10. Software allows you to run a Team Profile Report.
11. The instruments can be translated backwards and forwards
through Lomingers’ Translator software.
12. Tools can stand alone or work as an integrated tool set.
Summary of Lominger Competency Research
Lominger Competency Research - Continued
Lagging, Leveraging and Leading competencies
Competencies that differentiate high performance from average performance
Selecting Competencies - Common Mistakes
Select lagging indicators - threshold competencies that everyone needs, but almost everyone has. Example: Integrity
Fail to select leveraging indicators - competencies that make a difference in performance, but most do not have. Example: Conflict Management
Fail to select leading indicators - competencies that will be required in the future, but not required today and very few either have them or are working on them. Example: Developing Direct Reports or Creativity
Using Competencies for HR Alignment
Firms average 27% higher gains when HR system elements are aligned (As opposed to chasing best practices in each people initiative).
Overall HR/OD agendas and activities impact business performance by approximately 10%.
Using Competencies for Alignment
Assessment Selection Promotion Performance
(30-67) (6-10) (10-15) (4-6)
Leveraging Leveraging Leveraging Leveraging
Which Competencies Differentiate High Performance Vs. Average (See Handout)
High Performance and the Bottom Line
What is One Standard Deviation Worth in Contribution/Results for Specific Jobs .
Non - sales Jobs 19 - 48%
Sales Jobs 48 - 120%
Computer Programmers 320%
Use “Success” Profiles to Select the Competencies that:
Support improved performance.
Help develop important organization capabilities needed for the business to succeed.
Go beyond the typical price of entry skills to those that predict success.
Help select the “right” person for the position.
Level specific competencies
Job specific competencies
Using Success Profiles (Alignment)
The Lominger Tool Set
Tools - Creating Competency Based Success Profiles
Competency sort cards
• Expert panels conduct relative card sorts to determine which of the competencies are most predictive of future success in a specific job or organizational level.
Note: Job descriptions focus on the price of entry skills but are not very predictive of future success.
Tools - Competency Sort Cards Continued
• 67 Behavioral Skills
• Each sort card describes skilled, unskilled
• 19 Career Stallers
Tools - Creating Success Profiles
Tool - Success Profile Architect
(SPA) - Annual Subscription
Merge existing expert profiles and research in Lominger data base.
Can select from a variety of criteria including industry, job culture, etc.