Vasco Nunez de Balboa Chloe 2/12/2009 Las Flores Elementary School Research Report
- Vasco Nunez de Balboa was born in the year of 1475. He was born at Estre Maduro, Jerez de los Caballeros, Castile, Spain.
- His first family was rich, but they gave him away to a poor family. So, he was mostly poor his entire life.
- He was the third of four children.
- His father, Don Nuno Arias de Balboa, was the ruler of Darien for three years, (Starting on April 4, 1511)
- His mother was the lady of Badajoz.
- He was a gentleman by birth, an adventurer by inclination. He actually never had a “job” other than being an explorer.
- Balboa was sent to a school where he was the very best student out of all the young students who were also sent there.
- Vasco Nunez de Balboa tried four voyages.
- His fourth voyage lead him to set eyes on the Pacific Ocean.
- He discovered the Pacific Ocean on September 25, 1513.
- Though, the Governor said he must be executed because of “rebellion”.
- The Governor also thought he tried to steal the crown. Of course,he didn’t.
- No one thought Balboa was guilty for anything.
- Many explorers after used that route and found new land.
- Captain Samuel S. Dunnells founded an island and named it after Balboa. [Balboa Island AKA Balboa]
- Balboa died on January 12, 1519; Almost 6 years after his discovery.
- He was sadly and painfully executed.
- He is remembered as an amazing and [useful] explorer. [Especially in Balboa Island.]
- “ Cz Brats” http://www.Czbrats.com/miNombre/vnbalboa.htm , 2008
- “ Nndb” http://www.nndb.com/people/043/000094758/ , 2008
- “ Free Pages” http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wayer/vasco%de%20balboa.hto , 2008
- “ Balboa-Island” http://www.balboa-island.com/indez.php/weblog/sub/pictures/ , 2008