THE SYSTEM OF EDUCATIONIN LITHUANIACOMENIUS MULTILATERAL PARTNERSHIP PROJECTLET ME KNOW YOU: UNITED IN DIVERSITYMade by Linas Rudminas
Eductional principles• Educational institutions arestate, municipality orprivate;• Education is free of charge(except private institutions);• Education is compulsory forchildren from 7 to 16 years;• The official language atschools is Lithuanian.
1) General principles• 1st of September is thebeginning of a school year;• The end of May – the end ofa school year for the 1stto5thformers and the 12thformers;• The middle of June – theend of a school year for allthe rest of the students;• There are two semesters orthree terms per year.
2) General principles• A lesson lasts for 45minutes; but for 30 – 35minutes for pre-schoolpupils and the first formers;• Students have 22 – 31lessons per week (fromMonday – to Friday);• There are 24 – 30 studentsin a class, as a rule.
Structure of the educationalsystem in Lithuania• Pre-primary education (1 – 6years old) ;• Pre-school (6 – 7 years old);• Primary ( 7 – 11 years old);• Basic (11 – 16 years old);• Secondary ( 16 – 18/ 19 yearsold);• Vocational education andtraining ( 14 – 21);• Higher education ( 18/19 – 26).
Pre- primary education• It is considered a part ofnon-formal education;• It caters for children from 1year to 6/7 years of age;• Attendance is optional.
Primary education• Provided for childrenbetween 7 – 11 years ofage;• Duration is 4 years (fromthe 1stto the 4thforms);• Early foreign languageteaching is offered from the2ndform;• Subjects taught at a primaryschool are compulsory;• Primary education isgained.
1) Basic education• Provided for childrenbetween 11 – 16 years ofage;• Students learn at aprogymnasium (from the 5thto the 8thform), at agymnasium (from the 9thtothe 10thforms), basic,vocational or other types ofschools;
2) Basic education• Duration of the curriculumis 6 years (from 5thto 10thforms);• Around 17 subjects aretaught.• All subjects are compulsory;• At the end of the 10thformstudents have to take twoexams (verification of theachievement) in Lithuanianand Mathematics;• Basic education is gained.
1) Secondary education• Provided for childrenbetween 16 – 18/19 yearsof age;• Curriculum consists ofcompulsory and optionalmodules of generaleducation;• Students learn at agymnasium, secondary,vocational or other types ofschools;
2) Secondary education• Duration of the curriculumis 2 years (from the 11thtothe 12thforms / or from the3rdto the 4thgymnasiumclasses).• At the end students take Aor B level school – leaving(or maturity) examinations(they must choose at least 2exams, but some choose upto 6) so as to get acertificate.• Secondary education iscomleted.
Vocational education• It is provided to studentswho have basic educationstarting from the age of 14(the 8thform) or 16 (the 10thform);• Students learn at avocational school;• Upon completion of studiesa student gets primaryprofessional qualificationand / or copletes secondaryeducation.
1) Higher education• For those who are at least18 years – old and havecompleted secondaryeducation;• Learn at:1) a college, where studyprogrammes are basedonpractice;2)a university, whereuniversity studyprogrammesprevail;
2) Higher education• for Bachelor`s degreestudents study 3 – 5 years;• for Master`s degree theyhave to study 1,5 to 2years more.
Grading / evaluation system inLithuania• Pre-school children are notevaluated (do not get anymarks);• The 1st– 4thformers arerated by levels;• At Secondary School Level itis a ten-point scale.
Result Short descriptionGrade in English• Pass 10• Pass 9• Pass 8• Pass 7• Pass 6• Pass 5• Pass 4• Fail 3• Fail 2• Fail 1• excellent• very good• good• good enough• satisfactory• satisfactory enough• weak• bad• very bad• nothing answered, taskwas not completed