1. Simple Past Tense
-Meaning and Use
2. How do we form the simple past tense?
English has two types of
verbs in the past:
3. Let’s read the following list of past tense
verbs….. Which are regular and which are
4. Regular verbs are verbs that end with -ed
Simple form verbs:
Past tense verbs:
5. Rules for adding –ed:
–ed to most verbs
Drop the “e” and add “ed” to verbs that end with
“e” (smile= smiled).
Change the “y” to “i” and add –ed to verbs that
end with a consonant and “y” (carry= carried,
Double the consonant and add –ed to verbs that
end with one vowel and one consonant ( drag=
dragged, stop= stopped).
6. Irregular verbs are verbs that don’t end in
Sometimes with irregular
past tense verbs you
have to change the vowel
to make the verb past
7. Other irregular verbs have a different kind
of change…..you need to memorize
8. Why do we use past tense verbs?
TO TELL THAT AN ACTION IS
COMPLETED!!!!!! FINISHED!!! OVER!!!
9. PRONOUNCIATION OF REGULAR
The –ed ending in English has three
t: walked, talked, jumped
d: played, loved, answered
id: invited, waited
*With –id sounding words,
there is another syllable!
10. How can you practice past tense verbs?
Direct instruction + muiltiple opportunities to
practice = Skill mastery!!!!!