1. International Linkbuilding The International Seach Summit, Munich March 2012 Bastian Grimm, CEO & Founder, Grimm Digital
2. About me Background: PHP & Java – Developing CMS, Shops & Forums – Wazap! Game Search Engine Online Marketing since 2004 – We do: SEO strategy consulting, in- house trainings, WordPress SEO and intl. link-building campaigns Links, Links, Links…need some? As well as… 2
3. Get the slide deck… http://gdig.de/iss12 3
4. Local? Global!
5. Let’s talk about:Link Characteristics
6. #1 Domainname Domainname: Country specific top-level domain (ccTLD) Example: de, fr, dk Geo-targeted by default Geo-Targeting Google-style: http://gdig.de/iss03 9
7. #1 Domainname Domainname: Generic top-level domain (gTLD) Example: com, net, info Non geo-targeted (no pre-selection made) Worth reading: http://gdig.de/iss02 10
8. #2 Webmaster Tools GWT Settings: Hand-set a custom geo-target per (sub-) domain / path. What you need to know: Invisible from outside of GWT! https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/siteoverview 11
9. #3 Location IP address: By “tracing” back, it resolves to approx. geographical target In addition: Reverse DNS & DNS Geo-Extension 12
10. Get it now: WorldIP Firefox Plug-In providing all geo- related details at-a-glance: – Hostnames & IP-addresses – Cities & countries – Reverse DNS, hosting providers, datacenters, etc. Get it here: http://gdig.de/iss01 13
11. #4 Language Language parameters: 1. Language of anchor text 2. Language of surrounding content 14
12. #5 Language Meta Tag The Meta Language Tag: – <meta name="language" content="fr" /> Country & language combined: – <meta name="language" scheme="rfc1766" content="fr-BE" /> RFC 1766 – Allows setting-up advanced language targeting parameters like: „language-REGION“ – Main goal: Targeting country & language with proper accent settings. 15
13. OMCap 2011 - Online Marketing Konferenz Berlin13.10.2011 Bastian Grimm, Grimm Digital – International Linkbuilding 16
14. #5 Language Meta Tag Taken from: http://gdig.de/iss04 17
15. #5 Language Meta Tag “We generally do not use the language and country meta tags.” John Mueller, Webmaster Trends Analyst, Google 18
16. But there are some others… China / Baidu (~65%) South Korea / Naver (~62%) Russia / Yandex (~60%) Czech Republic / Seznam (~50%) USA / Bing & Yahoo! (~30%) Middle-East / Ayna 19
17. #6 Inbound Link Profile 20
18. your search query Just Google it! Check if „link-giving“ domain & page does rank in within target country!
19. Let’s have a look at some data:Top-10 Rankings for “Poker”
20. #1 Anchortext Distribution: US
21. #1 Anchortext Distribution: IT
22. #1 Anchortext Distribution: ?
23. #1 Anchortext Distribution: DE
24. #1 Anchortext Distribution: DK
25. #1 Anchortext Distribution: GR
26. #1 Anchortext Distribution: ES
27. #2 Anchortext Distribution Comparison> percentage of gambling related anchor-texts vs. brand vs. untargeted ones US: 30% IT: 23% DE: 76% DK: 33% GR: 22% ES: 45%
28. So, what % ofkeyword linksdo we need?
29. The most-popular answer in SEO: „It depends…!“
30. Why not looking at your competitors…? Performance benchmark vs. top-3/5/10Because: If those sites do rank where they rank, they‘re probably doing something right… don‘t they?
31. Don‘t get greedy:Anchortext links are great, but too many of those will get you hurt! Bastian Grimm, Grimm Digital – International Linkbuilding
32. #3 Topical Distribution Comparison> percentage of links from gambling related websites vs. off-topic links US: 57% IT: 18% DE: 68% DK: 36% GR: 32% ES: 53%
33. #4 Link-Type Distribution Comparison> comparing different website types: Links from blogs, forums, directories, etc.
34. Markets & methods differ…You need to understand each of them, individually!
35. Markets & methods differ #1Social platforms… …are still HUGE in the United States and provide good link opportunities. …don’t provide any value in Germany – only few exist & have very, very little traffic. 38
36. Markets & methods differ #2Article directories… …are just STONE-DEAD in Germany …do work well in France …don’t really exist in Poland 39
37. Markets & methods differ #3Pricing Links are – depending on quality – very cheap in Russia or Poland But REALLY expensive in the Netherlands And: It’s completely different values for same money (crappy footer links vs. pre-sell pages) 41
38. What you need to do:I. Think local (but don’t forget the big picture!)II. Built up per-market specific knowledgeIII. Hire locals to do market specific tasksIV. Consider, that I. budgets & prices will differ II. values & quality being delivered will differ III. impact of methods & results will differV. Learn and repeat…! 42
39. OMCap 2011 - Online Marketing Konferenz Berlin That’s it! …13.10.2011 Wait, still not enough? Bastian Grimm, Grimm Digital – International Linkbuilding 43
40. Thank you! Questions? email@example.com twitter.com/basgr linkedin.com/in/bastiangrimm facebook.com/grimm.digital Bastian Grimm, CEO & Founder, Grimm Digital