Mandatory Web Accessibility Training for Online Faculty
Mandatory Web Accessibility Training
for Online Faculty
Why: The Case for Web Accessibility
• It is essential that the Web be accessible
in order to provide equal access and equal
opportunity to people with diverse abilities.
Indeed, the UN Convention on the Rights
of Persons with Disabilities recognizes
access to information and communications
technologies, including the Web, as a
basic human right.
Who: The Case for Web Accessibility
social inclusion for
people with disabilities as
well as others, such
as older people, people
in rural areas, and people
in developing countries.
What: Examples of Web Accessibility
• Some basic examples:
– Alternative text for images
– Full navigation via keyboard
– Transcripts for podcasts
– Captions for videos
– Color choices that help not hinder
Example of alt-text in Desire2Learm
How: Making Online Ed Accessible
• None of this will happen in a vacuum.
• Professional development
opportunities are key to improving
accessibility in online education.
• Knowledge training in this field needs
to be MANDATORY!
Assessment of Training
• Create Desire2Learn course shell
• Enroll all online faculty and related staff
• Create one or more assessments
• Provide badges or certificates of
• Monitor non-completors and send
• email: Barry.Dahl@Desire2Learn.com
• Twitter: @D2LBarry