The Power Of Resistance In Your Career And Life
The Ability To Resist Is One Of The Most Powerful Abilities You Can Possess Knowing how to resist things that bring instant gratification will help you to obtain longer lasting success, happiness and fulfillment. The power of resistance is one that can literally transform your life.
I Remember, While On The Student Council At My High School In Bangkok, Thailand… The school had called over a leadership coach from the United States to give us a course in what characteristics make a leader. More specifically, the coach focused on what qualities leaders possess that most other people do not?
A Key To Being A Leader Is Having The Ability To Resist. <ul><li>The leader will resist speaking badly about others. </li></ul><ul><li>The leader will resist getting drunk with the other kids whenever everyone goes out. </li></ul><ul><li>The leader will resist being a bully, and resist going along with a bully. </li></ul><ul><li>The leader will resist falling asleep in class. </li></ul><ul><li>The leader will resist skipping class, and resist skipping sports practice. </li></ul>
This Lesson Transformed Me In Many Ways Because It Helped Me Understand How Powerful Resistance Is. The better you become at resisting, the more powerful you will become in your career and life. Resistance is surely one of the greatest secrets to success that there is.
Allow me to share with you a list of ten behaviors and situations. Learning to resist these will prove invaluable to you.
1. Resist Speaking Negatively About Others Resisting the temptation to speak badly about others is extremely difficult. I hear people speaking badly about others daily. There is no quicker way to lose your job, or even a friend, then to have those words get back to the person being spoken about. I even lost a job this way once.
2. Resist Taking Credit For Things It can be very tempting, however, one must resist the need to take credit for things. Always taking credit for things will make you appear like a smart mouth. Also, it will prevent others from feeling good about their contributions, and potentially make people resent you.
3. Resist Your Own Negative Sense Of Self Whatever you’re trying to achieve, you need to resist the voice in your head that tells you that you can’t do it. Every time you tell yourself you can’t accomplish something, you limit yourself.
4. Resist The Need To Talk About Yourself Most people find themselves to be the most interesting and important person in any given situation. However, people will feel more comfortable around you if you allow them to talk about themselves. People around you will be much happier, and that happiness will wear off on you.
5. Resist Being Lazy A majority of people spend day after day starting things and never finishing them. You must resist the temptation to be lazy, and you must do whatever you can to accomplish your goals. A big part of this simply means following through with what you start.
The Temptation To Be Lazy Surrounds Us On A Daily Basis <ul><li>Noticing a full trash in the kitchen and not taking it outside is an example of laziness. </li></ul><ul><li>Leaving a dirty dish out is an example of laziness </li></ul><ul><li>Sleeping late and skipping work are examples of laziness. </li></ul><ul><li>Neglecting to double check your work is an example of laziness. </li></ul><ul><li>Consider it a universal law that lazy people do not get ahead. </li></ul>
6. Resist Being Selfish Always putting yourself before others puts energy in the wrong place. Resist focusing on yourself, and you will offer a greater benefit to the world. True fulfillment involves giving of yourself. The more selfish you are, the more distance you put between you and what will fulfill you.
7. Resist Feeling Regret We all do things from time to time that we will regret. You must resist feeling guilty about things you have done which you regret. If you do not let go of this guilt, it will eat away you and do you a great deal of harm.
8. Resist Passing Judgment Almost all of us spend a good deal of our lives passing judgments. When you judge someone, you can be sure they are judging you in return. A mind that is filled with judgment is constantly focusing on what it does not like, as opposed to all of the positive things in the world.
9. Resist Expectations <ul><li>A good deal of people have expectations that are too high or unreasonable. </li></ul><ul><li>You expect that someone will call you </li></ul><ul><li>You expect to get a certain job </li></ul><ul><li>You expect that you will get a raise </li></ul><ul><li>Often times, these things do not happen. When we expect things to happen and they do not, it can gnaw at us like crazy. </li></ul>
10. Resist The Need To Control It is impossible to control everybody and in the end, people will do what they want to do. The more you try and control everything around you, the more you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
Resistance is a very powerful force that you must learn to use in your life. The harder you work at resisting, the stronger and more successful you will become. The better you become at resistance, the more successful and fulfilled you will become.