1. Why I like Tennis
2. History of Tennis
4. Court Surfaces
8. Games & Tournaments
Why I like Tennis
• I like it because:-
– It’s fun!
– I like hitting the ball.
– You can play with it with your friends
History of Tennis
• They played tennis back in 500 BC.
• In the fifteenth century Real (French for Royal)
tennis was played indoors. It is still played at
• In Victorian times tennis became popular on the
lawns of stately homes.
• The equipment that you
will need is :-
– Tennis racket
– Tennis ball
– Tennis shoes
• These have very small ridges on
the soles but you can still grip
• So they don’t damage the
tennis court surface
• Tennis can be played all
over the world.
• It is played on different
types of surfaces and they
– Grass is a fast court because
it makes the ball skid when it
– Clay is slow because it is
– Tarmac that is used on most
• If you have 1 person on either
side of the net it’s called ‘singles’
• In tennis you don’t just play with
2 people you can play with 4
people. If you do, it’s called
• Also you can play with a man
and a woman on both sides of
the net. This is called ‘mixed
• You start at 0, called ‘love’.
• Then every time you win a point, your score goes up
like this 15, 30, 40 and then ‘game’.
• If the score is 40:40 it is called ‘deuce’. You then
need 2 points without the other person scoring to
win the game.
Games & Tournaments
• There are 4 major tournaments called ‘Grand
– Wimbledon which is played on grass.
– The French Open which is played on clay.
– The US Open which is played on tarmac.
– The Australian Open which is also played on tarmac.
• My heroes are :-
– Roger Federer because
• Has a good swing with his racket
• He has won Wimbledon 5 years
– Elaine because
• she is a good teacher and a good
• She has even played at