ECD Fundamentals: supporting
teachers to teach and learn
Presentation to BRIDGE ECD CoP
27 August 2013
• ECD fundamentals a long standing issue.
• Varying levels of capacity and quality of materials.
• Collaborative initiative by Ilifa / DG Murray / Saide :
research reference group included a networking
group and curriculum group.
• Still some issues to resolve, but developed a concept.
• Integral to ECD qualifications
pathways, professionalisation of ECD, articulation of
qualifications, bridging the occupational /
• Access to high standard of ECD qualification and
quality ECD teachers.
• Capacity of ECD trainers to offer fundamentals.
• Cross-sector and inter-departmental:
DBE, DSD, DHET, occupational (QCTO) , professional
• ECD to fall under QCTO;
• New occupational qualifications and QCTO
• FLC will be one component.
A possible solution
• Communications and
• Use generic FLC
• Integrated or parallel, or
• Verbal and
• Academic skills.
• Identify existing high
• Collaborative shared
• Core development team;
• Parallel and aligned to
scoping of occupational
• Interested RTOs /
institutions register with
• Offer FLC to own and
• Subject specialists
• Training of FLC trainers
• Additional support and
mentoring from core
• Assessment centres for
FLC – external
• FLC bank of multiple choice
• ECD preparation – adapt
beginning and middle;
• Final external through
• Participate in QCTO scoping of ECD qualifications;
• Get special dispensation for FLC to apply to current
• Begin developing ECD FLC concurrently with scoping.
• Broaden reference group – email@example.com