WUDC 2010 Turkey
Round 1: This house would require those with plastic surgery to disclose it before having
Round 2: This house believes robots are winning.
Round 1 That this house would ban labour unions.
Round 2 That this house believes developing nations should pay for the full tuition of female
Round 3 That this house would financially incentivize both inter-faith and
Round 4 This house would prohibit high ranking members of the Sri Lankan military & the
Tamil Tigers from participating in elections.
Round 5 This House would abolish the taxes on alcohol and cigarettes that go beyond normal
Round 6 That this house would prosecute communities for complicity in honour killings.
Round 7 This house would grant those diagnosed with terminal illnesses the right to access
treatments that have not completed clinical testing.
Round 8 This house would partition Sudan.
Round 9 This house would ban all pornography.
Octo Final This house believes the West should recognise the Dali Lama
Quarter Final This house would ban all procedures to alter one's racial appearance.
Semi Final Motion: THB that the United States government should subsidize Twitter to
liberalize oppressed societies
Final THB that the media should show the full horror of war
ESL QF motion: This House would ban any scheme intended to cure homosexuality
ESL Semi Final Motion: This house would allow prisoners to raise their babies behind bars.
ESL Final Motion: this house would prohibit expression that portrays convicted war criminals in
a positive light.
Round 1 This house would ban all forms of gambling
Round 2 This house would fire the senior managements of all corporations which receive
Round 3 This house would allow soldiers to sue their government for negligence.
Round 4 This house would force the religious desegregation of Northern Irish schools.
Round 5 This house believes that China and India should bear the same obligations as the West
in fighting climate change.
Round 6 This house would criminalise adultery.
Round 7 This house believes that the west should recognise the independence of Abkhazia.
Round 8 This house would apply a lower rate of income tax to women.
Round 9 This house would ban the publication of political opinion polls.
This house would arm local militia to fight the taliban in Afghanistan.
Quarter and ESL Semi
This house believes that the international criminal court should prosecute crimes against the
This house believes governments should subsidise private home ownership.
The EFL final is
This house would prohibit all private health care.
This house would ban abortion at all stages of pregnancy.
Round 1 This House would allow the use of torture.
Round 2 This House believes that Taiwan should declare independence now
Round 3 THW not allow local government to pay for the relocation of homeless people
Round 4 This House believes that the European Union should only direct aid to nations that
pursue environmentally sustainable development.
Round 5 This House believes that every criminal defendant should be required to use a
government provided defense lawyer.
Round 6 THW subject foreign political contributions to greater restrictions than domestic
Round 7 This House would assassinate Vladimir Putin.
Round 8 THB that governments should never rescue failing private industry.
Round 9 This House would deny scarce medical resources to terminally ill patients.
Motion: This House would require doctors to report all cases of suspected domestic violence.
The motion:This House believes that the Turkish military should stop enforcing the separation of
church and state.
Motion: This House believes that governments in the developing world should invest in sex
University of British Columbia, Vancouver 2007 WUDC
Final This house believes that economic growth is the solution to climate change
Semi Final This house would ban websites that glorify eating disorders
Qtr Final This house believes that people sentenced to life imprisonment should be allowed
to choose the death penalty instead
Octo Final This house believes that developing nation should nationalize their energy
Round 9 This house would grant citizenship in exchange for military service
Round 8 This house would ban Cosmetic Surgery
Round 7 This house would support regime change in Myanmar/Burma
Round 6 This house would abolish all taxes on inherited wealth
Round 5 This house supports independence for Quebec
Round 4 This house would criminalize the payment of ransom
Round 3 This House supports accelerated land redistribution in South Africa
Round 2 This house believes that the UK should abolish it’s nuclear arsenal
Round 1 This house would ban government funding of religious schools
This house believes that politicians have a right to a private life
ESL Semi This house believes all serious crimes should be trialed by Jury
Masters Final This house supports a 35 hour working week
Masters Round 1 This house would designate one city to permanently host the Olympics
Masters Round 2 This house believes that governments should provide heroin addicts with
safe injection facilities
EFL Final This house would lift sanctions on Iran
World University Debate Championship Dublin 2006
Final: That this house would abolish all laws prohibiting cruelty to animals
Semi: This house would prohibit speeches that incite hatred (wording may be incorrect)
Qtr: This House Would permit legislating by citizen initiated referenda
Octo: This House believes that international law should recognise the right of each state to
unilaterally undertake armed humanitarian intervention
ESL Final: This House Believes that European Governments should payparents to have children.
ESL Semi: This House would abandon the civilian use of nuclear power.
1 This House Would Grant An Amnesty To All Illegal Immigrants Currently In The United
2 That This House Believes That The Catholic Church Should Allow The Use Of Condoms In
The Fight Against HIV/AIDS In Africa
3 That This House Believes The West Should End Military Cooperation With Pakistan Until It
Holds Free Presidential Elections
4 This House Would Prohibit Women Over The Age Of 45 Years From Undergoing Assisted
5 This House Would Give Japan A Permanent Seat On The United Nations Security Council
6 This House Would Not Allow Intelligent Design To Be Included In The School Science
7 This House Would Recognise A Legally Enforceable Right To A Minimum Standard Of
8 This House Supports The Creation Of An Independent State For The Iraqi Kurds
9 This House Supports Indigenous Persons Convicted Of A Crime Being Sentenced By Their
Community And Not The Courts
WUDC Multimedia University Malaysia 2005
Final This House Supports Corporal Punishment in Schools
Semi-Final This House Would Use Gambling To Rejuvenate Depressed Economic Zones
Quarter Final This House Believes That Mentally Handicapped People Are Better Cared For In
The Community Than In Institutions
Octo Final This House Believes It Is Time For an ASEAN Parliament
Round 1 This House would compel HIV infected people to disclose their disease to their sexual
Round 2 This house believes the EU should open its doors to North Africa
Round 3 This House would not teach vocational studies at University
Round 4 This House would positively discriminate women in the armed forces
Round 5 This House believes that outsourcing is good for the developed and developing nations.
Round 6 This house would have harsher sentences for celebrity criminals
Round 7 This House Believes that anti-terrorism is the new McCarthyism
Round 8 This House Would Expand NAFTA Into South America
Round 9 This House Would Prioritise Organ Donations To Those Who Have Lived a Healthy
Final TTH would ban the abortion of fetuses on the grounds of their permanent disability
Semi-Final TTH believes war journalists should be forced to reveal their sources in international
Quarter Final TTH believes parents should cast proxy votes for their children
Octo Final TTH would support regime change in Iran
Round 1 TTHW try Saddam Hussein before an international tribunal
Round 2 TTH supports all forms of child labour
Round 3 TTHB eviormentalists should use terrorism in support of their goals
Round 4 TTHB students all round the world should be taught in English
Round 5 TTHW tie world bank aid to womens' rights
Round 6 TTHW make the release of child sexual abusers conditional on chemical castration
Round 7 TTH believes only African countries should be peacekeepers in African conflicts
Round 8 TTH would use international sporting events for political change
Round 9 TTH would ban religious symbols in state schools
ESL Final TTH believes that Japanese armed forces should fight in foreign lands
ESL Semi TTH prefers regional trade agreements to the WTO
Final This house believes that the world has learned nothing from 9/11
Semi-Final This house believes that globalization is imperialism repackaged
Quarter Final This house believes in the absolute right of the patient
Octo Final This house believes that tobacco companies should have social responsibilities
Round 1 This house fears an expanded Europe.
Round 2 This house would return land to its original owners
Round 3 This house believes that AIDS drugs should be freely available to all
Round 4 This house believes that the media is the West's most effective weapon
Round 5 This house believes that harmony is more important than diversity
Round 6 This house believes that environmentalism in the Third World is the responsibility of
the First World
Round 7 This house believes that the West should accept the democratic decision of the people
Round 8 This house believes that the US should be answerable to TRCs [Truth & Reconciliation
Commissions] in South America.
Round 9 This house believes that Sharon should stand with Milosovic
ESL Final This House would make population control a pre-requisite of aid.
ESL Semi This house supports Compulsory Military Service
1. This house would bail out failing industries.
2. This house believes that making Yassar Arrafat a partner in peace was a mistake
3. This house believes that the west should treat state sponsored sexism as aparthide
4. This house believes that the WTO is the friend of the developing world
5. This house would force feed anorexics
6. This house believes that political assassinations are a legitimate tool of foreign policy.
7. This house supports domestic content quotas in broadcasting
8. This house believes that the sexual history of rape victime should be admissible in court
9. This house believes that US foreign policy is responsible for September 11.
Octo-Finals: This house would extradite accused criminals to face the death penalty
Quater Finals: This house supports surrogacy for profit
Semi-Final: This house believes that civil liberties must be restricted in the interests of security
Final: This house would ban prisoners publishing accounts of their crimes
Semi-Final: THis house believes that prisoners have no right to vote
Final: This house believes that the Nobel Prize proves that the UN has a strong role to play
1. This house would ban criminals from voting (Cancelled due to mis times announcement)
1b. This house would give Europe it's own Army
2. This house would put a speed limit on human Traffic
3. This house would make company directors criminally liable for the wrongs of their company
4. This house believes the US should get out of the middle east
5. This house would make pollution a tradable commodity
6. This house would remove patents on pharmacutical drugs from the 3rd world.
7. This house believed that the WTO should grant exemptions to developing nations
8. This house would ban performance enhancing drugs in sport
9. Round Cancelled.
Octo-Finals: This house would outlaw genetic discrimination
Quater Finals: This house supports a one child policy
Semi-Final: This house would make reparations for slavery
Final: This house would elect it's judges
Round 1: 5 min prep on a film quote (e.g. "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know
what you're going to get next")
Round 2: Prepared motion: "So long as even one hundred of us remain alive, we will never
submit to the rule of the English"
Semi-Final: This house would keep peacekeepers out of civil wars
Final: This house believes that a language which needs proteting isn't worth protecting.
Final: This house would squeeze the rich until the pip squeaks
Semi: This house believes that the rights of the child are paramount
Quarter: This house would censor hate
1. That this house believes that election campaigns should be fully financed by the state.
2. That this house demands work for welfare
3. That this house would alter its genetic code.
4. That this house would put worker's rights before trade rights.
5. That this house would have lots of sex.
6. That this house would ignore the war in Chechnya.
7. That this house believes religious doctrines are more important than women's rights.
8. That this house likes its environmentalists radical.
9. That this house would put corporate profits before individual privacy.
Octo Final: That Asia should take the liberal path.
Qtr Final: That this house would shut down Macdonalds.
Semi Final: This House Believes the IMF is the British Empire of Today
Final: This house believes Marx would have approved of the internet
Final: This house favours Positive discrimination
Semi That women should apply lipstick.
Rd 1 This house would Club Baby Seals
1. This house supports the bombing of Iraq.
2. This house believes globalization marginalises the poor.
3. This house believes the father should be present at conception.
4. This house believes ASEAN should rally behind Anwar.
5. This house believes art should be free from censorship.
6. This house believes democracy is the best way forward for Russia.
7. This house believes religious leaders should listen to opinion polls.
8. This house would rehabilitate criminals.
9. This house believes that federalism will not work for europe
Octo Final: This house believes that old dictators should not have to face the music
Qtr Final: This house believes that Media is more Powerful than the Government
Semi Final: This House would get US bases out of Asia
Final: This house believes Nethanyahu is the biggest obstacle to peace in Israel
Final: This house believes that a celibate priest is an unhappy priest
Semi-Finals: This House believes that Child Labour is necessary in developing countries
First Round: This house would support global nuclear disarmament
This house believes in Economic policy before social policy
This house would look to the East
This house would put an immediate ban on land mines
This house believes he who controls information technology controls the world
This house believes that the glass is half full
This house believes that marriage is an outdated institution
This house believes that environmentalism is mostly hot air
This house believes that liberty should be rationed
This house would protect the rights of smokers
Octo Finals: This house believes we should leave nation states to the scrap yard of history
Qtr Finals: This house believes that the olympic games should come home for good
Semi Final : THis house would give national treasures back to its people
Final: This house believes that humanitarism is a first world affectation
1. This house believes that developing nations need strong dictatorship.
2. This house would legalize prostitution.
3. This house has an unhealthy obsession with sport.
4. This house believes that the U.S. is more sinned against than sinning.
5. This house would let the information superhighway run free.
6. This house believes that fanaticism works.
7. This house would allow same-sex couples to adopt children.
8. This house will regret the trade bloc.
9. This house believes that the Truth and Reconciliation Commission is a weak response.
Octo Final: This house supports privatization
Qtr Final: This house would adopt quotas.
Semi Final: This house believes that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
Final: This house would legalize all drugs.
ESL Final: This House believes that there is no such thing as universal human rights
1.This house would put pragmatism before its principles.
2. This house would test nuclear weapons.
3. This house would rebuild the Berlin Wall.
4. This house would sacrifice economic growth for the good of the environment.
5. This house would give racists a platform.
6. This house would make the blood of the patriarchy run in the streets. (enforced humour round)
7. This house would heed its priests.
8. This house believes that developing nations should adopt Western feminism.
9. This house would in trial by jury.
Octo Final: This house would reject big government.
Qtr Final: This house believes that the melting pot has failed.
Semi Final: This house would let the language die.
Final: This house believes that strong dictatorship is better than weak democracy.
1. This House would plan for peace by preparing for war.
2. This House has more to fear than to hope from genetic engineering.
3. This House would open its doors to the world.
4. This House believes that the separation of church and state has gone too far.
5. This House believes that the United Nations belongs on the ash-heap of history.
6. This House believes that American culture is an oxymoron. (enforced humour round)
7. This House believes that capitalism is a dead end.
8. This House believes economic sanctions should not be used to influence domestic policy.
9. This House believes that the government that governs least, governs best.
Octo Final: This House supports the statement, "Yankee Go Home!"
1. This house believes that right is more important than peace.
2. This House believes that political correctness is the new McCarthyism.
3. This House believes that space exploration can no longer be justified.
4. This House believes that Islam has had a bad press.
5. This House believes that the blood of East Timor is on Australia's hands.
6. This House believes that there is in this age a dearth of heroes.
7. This House believes that feminism should give way to multiculturalism.
8. This House believes that the West will regret free trade.
9. This House believes that cricket is to sport as Rolls-Royce is to motorcars. (enforced humour
Octo Final: This House believes that the state of the union is stuffed.
Qtr Final: This House would support affirmative action.
Semi Final: This House believes that the Pope should get married.
Final: This House believes that Machiavelli is the way to go.
1. This house would support positive discrimination.
2. This house would support the right to strike.
3. This house believes that sex kills romance.
4. This house believes that freedom of the individual is a myth.
5.Short men cast long shadows while the sun sets. (enforced humour round)
6. This house reveres the memory of the British Empire.
7. This house would out-closet homosexuals.
8. This house rejects consensus.
9. This house would abolish capital punishment.
Octo Final: The problems of the nation are better solved by the private sector than by
Qtr Final: This house would give land for peace.
Semi Final: A Federated Europe will protect the weak from the strong.
Final: Nationalism is a hangover from history.
First Rounds (Thanks to Randal H for this information)
1. The state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation.
2. Kuwait should be freed by military force.
3. Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one.
4. All evils are equal when they are extreme.
5. Democracy is the bludgeoning of the people, by the people, for the people.
6. This House condemns the war on drugs.
7. This House would kiss the sky.
8. Environmentalism will go the way of the hula hoop.
9. To die for an idea is to set a rather high price for conjecture.
This house would not dare lift the veil.