1. Community Gardens, Farmers Markets, Food Deserts & DIVERSITYMAKING THE CONNECTION
2. AFTER THE GARDEN, NOW WHAT? What is food insecurity? True or False: Food insecurity and hunger are the same thing. Is there a link between food insecurity and race/ethnicity? Is there a link between food insecurity and class? Is there a link between food insecurity and geography? What is a food desert?
3. Study of Food Prices Conducted in London Ontario, Canada - Compared cost of filling ONTARIO NUTIRIOUS FOOD BASKET (ONFB) -66 items from all four food groups -Compared prices in 2005 and 2008
4. London Ontario – A Food Desert
5. Key Findings Farmers’ market increased availability of healthy food Residents living in Old East paying only 5.7% more than average supermarket prices NOT EVERYONE shops at the farmers’ market Farmers’ market can significantly decrease costs of living in neighborhood without a supermarket
6. Photos Taken in Birmingham Neighborhoods
7. Birmingham (Ala.). Study of Food Deserts (2010)