1. Introduction:• BitTorrent is a Peer To Peer file sharing Protocol used for distributing large amounts of data over Internet.• Accounts for approximately 43% to 70% of all Internet traffic.• BitTorrent is utilized by 150 million active users(Jan ‘12).• This method is the fastest means of downloading media.
2. Brief History:Programmer Bram Cohen designed theprotocol in April 2001 and released thefirst available version on July 2, 2001.It is now maintained by Cohenscompany, BitTorrent, Inc.
3. BitTorrent Terminology:Seed: The one who have the complete file.Leech: The one who is still downloading the file.Peer: Either a seed or a leech. A peer is one instance of a BitTorrent client running on a computer.Torrent file: The special file which has all the information(metadata) about the file to be downloaded.
4. BitTorrent Terminology:Tracker: It is a server, which keeps track off all the peers and assist in communication between them.Swarm: Together, all peers (including seeders) sharing a torrent.P2P: Stands for ‘peer to peer’, is the technology used by bitTorrent. Where each node acts as a both client and server.BitTorrent Client: The program that works on BitTorrent protocol (Ex: uTorrent).
5. What is BitTorrent or simply torrent?• BitTorrent is a way to transfer files of just about any size, quickly and efficiently. Works on P2P technology.• It works by breaking up files into small pieces.• The file is downloaded piece by piece from one or many different sources.• The name BitTorrent is also used to describe the official BitTorrent client.
6. P2P Technology:• A peer-to-peer (abbreviated to P2P) computer network.• In which each computer in the network can act as a client or server for the other computers in the network.• It allows sharing various resources such as files, peripherals, and sensors without the need for a central server.
7. Implementing BitTorrent:What all do we need?• A Client software• Working Internet Connection.• And a small ‘.torrent’ file.
8. Implementing BitTorrent:How to start?• Download and Install the torrent client.• Download the appropriate ‘.torrent’ file for the files to be downloaded.• Click on the ‘.torrent’ file and the download begins in the client.
9. How does BitTorrent work?
10. How does BitTorrent work?
11. How does BitTorrent work?
12. Torrent file:• It has extension .torrent Torrent• A torrent file stores metadata used for BitTorrent.• The only data that the torrent holds is information about the location of different pieces of the target file.• Torrent file contains the URLs of many trackers
13. Torrent file: Torrent
14. Other Techniques used with BitTorrent protocol: PEX DTH
15. What is the maximum speed we can achieve?
16. Advantages:• It’s a efficient way of sending large files with high speed.• We can pause resume and again start sharing• Better technology than sending file by – Email attachment – Online File Hosting – FTP• File can be shared easily over large no. of users without need of Central Data Server.
17. Limitations:• If there is no seeders then there is no download.• That’s why Old or unpopular files are hard to download because nobody uploads them.• At the beginning of the torrents life, download speed is very low.• A newbie might end up in downloading files
18. Video time: Just so we could understand it better BitTorrent Explained