Digital Scholarly Identity
Prof. Bala Iyer
Is digital branding in the new media relevant for
Should you be a scholar on the cloud?
Everything is going digital
• Digital Reputation is
the new currency
Power to the edge
Power Shift from Institution to Individual
Why should we go digital?
• School’s reputation – f(faculty, admin, services, ..)
• Many of our stakeholders are digital natives
• They are learning about us online
• Inbound marketing people find you
• Means to build relationships and attract students
• Digital networks augments social networks
• Sell ideas and influence people impact
• Rating agencies (academia?) keep score
• Reviewing, consulting, speaking and collaboration
The future is already here — it's just not very
• Refers to the way in which a person’s or
product’s standing is shaped by a collective of
end-users making their individual assessment
based on our judgment, knowledge and
• Identity – the extent to which others can
identify you as a scholar online
• Verified identity
• Shared social network
• Shared communities
• Shared interests
• The beliefs or opinions that are generally held
about someone or something.
• Information used to make a value judgment
about an object or person.
• It is based on the summary of one’s past
actions defined within the context of a specific
Net Social Capital = Traditional Social Network + Online Social Network
How do we measure academic
• Scholarly articles and books
• Reference letters
• Awards -- Keynotes
• Impact factor
– Citation counts
• Teaching ratings
• Ratings and reviews
• Content views
• Number of followers
• Likes. Diggs
• Reach of network
• Authority in online communities
How does Andy MacAfee Benefit?
• Keeps the conversation going about his work.
Frequent tweets complement larger, more
infrequent ones (papers, HBR articles, books).
• Considered a specialist on a topic like the Cloud
not just because of his articles alone, but also
because he is a filter. Point to other news /
resources / posts / etc. that you come across
• Inform the community when you've written
something, from a blog post to a book.
• Empire Avenue
Not Perfect for Scholars
Not there yet