Cloud Computing - Govt. Women's College - Kumbakonam
Basics, opportunities and issues
Web and Portals Group
Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli
Computing Paradigms – History and Genesis
Cloud Computing – intro
Need for Cloud
Cloud in Real time
Pros and Cons
Career Scope & Closing Thoughts
Job Opportunities for
Computer Science Graduates
Computing is everything that you do with computers
Document Creating, Assignment Writing, Programming,
Creating Power Point Presentations, Sending emails,
Browsing, Chatting, Facebook, Uploading/viewing
Photographs, listening to Songs, Watching movies…..
Room Size Computers (1960s)
Desktop/Personal Computers (1960-70s)
Computer Networks (1970-80s)
World Wide Web (WWW) (1990-)
Mobile Computing (2000-)
• The term ‘Cloud’ is used as a metaphor for
• Named after the cloud representation of the
Internet on a network diagram
• Professor Ramnath Chellappa was the first
to use the term "cloud computing" in 1997.
«Computación en internet»
Computing on the Internet
What is Cloud Computing?
Any situation in which computing is
done in a remote location rather than
on your desktop or portable device.
Using the Internet to access data and
• What is stored: Information, data, service….
• Where it is stored: In the Servers on the
• How to Get it: Sent to clients (browser)
temporarily via network
• Clients: Desktops, Tablets, Notebooks, Mobile
Cloud = Network-accessible resource pool
Need for a Cloud?
• A question that we always ask… to buy or to rent?
Pay for everything
• What you use as well as what you don’t use
• And all these at a upfront investment
• Buy a car, A/c, driver, license, maintenance,
parking space, insurance, etc….
Let’s think a bit
Hosting your portal/web application on your own
Server (IBM blade or Sun SPARC), Platform (Linux of
Windows), Connectivity (BSNL or Airtel or Reliance),
Storage, Administrators, Cooling Services, Power (?!), UPS,
Firewall, Network equipment….and then...Upgrades?
Service Provider ?
Connectivity Bandwidth ?
Experts to manage?
Hire a cloud
• Up and running in minutes
• Servers, storage, load balancing
• Scalable, pay-as-you-go pricing
• Control panel and API interface
• Zero downtime, 24 X 7 support
Don’t buy, just subscribe
Unique Identification Authority of
India (UIDAI) – eAadhar
1.2 Billion people
40 Million people –
already connected to
Data Size ?
Current: 5 Peta Bytes
2014: 15 Peta Bytes
2. Privacy ?
Gmail Vs. Microsoft Exchange
• Servers and storage?
• Technical Team?
Cloud Computing Services
• Software As a Service (SaaS)
• Platform As a Service (PaaS)
• Infrastructure As a Service (Iaas)
Example: GMail, Zoho (online office)
PaaS: Facilities necessary to support the complete process of building and delivering web
Example: Salesforce.com, Google App. Engine
IaaS: Delivering the total infrastructure as a service
Example: Amazon’s EC2
The Most Popular - Cloud Services for
business & for individuals
• Amazon Web Services
• Zoho Office
• Amazon EC2
• Gmail/Google Apps
• Chrome OS, Ubuntu Cloud
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud “Amazon EC2”
web service interface that provides resizable computing
capacity in a cloud
designed to make web-scale computing easier for
reduces the time required to obtain and boot new server
space from weeks to minutes
allows developers to pay only for capacity that they actually
Network made up of millions of cheap servers, that would
store staggering amounts of data, including numerous copies
of the world wide web
Makes search faster, helping ferret out answers to billions of
queries in a fraction of a second
Google invests more than $2 billion a year in data
centers for cloud computing.
Google App Engine
What is Zoho Docs?
• Zoho Docs is an Online Document
Management where you can store all your
files securely in a centralized location, and
access anywhere online. It is the homepage
for all your documents, spreadsheets,
presentations, pictures, music, videos, etc. You
can create, edit, share, view and upload any
type of files including Zip, PDF, etc.
Reduced Hardware equipment for end users
Improved Performance & Low maintenance
Flexible & Low cost
Pay for what you use
Cloud Adaptations – TN. Govt.
Plan: to provide cloud computing based Personal
Computers to VAOs & RIs
Purpose: e-District applications & other utility services
To Whome: Krishnagiri, Ariyalur, Perambalur, Thiruvarur,
Coimbatore and The Nilgiris (Pilot)
Budget: Rs.1.70 crores.
Cloud Computing Drawbacks
Security Issues (#1 concern)
You must have an Internet connection
Less control over the data
Connectivity & Bandwidth issues
Security – The #1 Threat
• Richard Stallman says: “One reason you
should not use cloud applications to do your
computing is that you lose control”
• Issue is about the programs that enable cloud
• Amazon’s downtime & Steamload’s collapse
• Our Aadhar – Privacy, Confidentiality,
Security ? (NSA vs Edward Snowden )
• Solutions are emerging – eg. openstack
• Developers: Web services, SOA and SOAP
(.NET and JEE)
• Performance testing engineers
• Infrastructure engineers: Networking
professionals, virtualization and security
experts, Entertainment Computing: Gaming
Rupees 5,00,000 - 8,00,000
UG - B.Sc - Any Specialization, B.Tech/B.E. - Any
Specialization, B.Sc. BCA – Computers PG - M.Sc - Any
Specialization, M.Tech - Any Specialization, MCA – Computers
Cloud Service Developer
Application Programming, Maintenance
More than one year of experience architecting & building
solutions leveraging cloud computing service providers such as
Amazon Web Services. Full lifecycle experience with at least
one cloud migration, data center migration, or server
Skills Required :
• Passionate about driving new technology solutions
• Software development experience in one or more of the following
•Distributed Applications :
• Excellent Technical grasp on Java/J2EE Environment, Agile
Development and Legacy C/C++ Development
• Sun Certified Enterprise Architect (SCEA)
What are things to do for getting a job?
Start learning new technologies such as Virtualization/ Cloud
Computing/ Web Programming etc…
Understand businesses, processes and domains… just don’t be a
Get into high end consulting: Just don’t remain behind the desktops,
move around and look for opportunities
Q and A
Don’t forget to try the examples
Gotomeeting, teamviewer, mediafire
A complete book on cloud computing is in
your digital library
• For clarifications, doubts, resources…
• Write to : firstname.lastname@example.org