1. Contents 02 BIZ China 04 Sourcing All Around China 20 Trade Fairs 28 Amazing China 30 Silk Road 33 Royal City 34 Scene China 42 Cuisine 44 Tea House 48 What to Eat in Four Seasons 50 Culture 52 Beijing Opera 54 Chinese Wedding 56 Kongfu 57 Painting and Calligraphy 58 Han Costume 59 Traditional Chinese Medicine 60 Nicely Made in China 62 Porcelain 64 Textile 66 Chinese People 70 FAQ A liated to Made-in-China.com Published by Focus Vision MagazineADD: 8-12F, Block A, Software BLDG., Xinghuo Road, New & Hi-Tech Development Zone, Nanjing, China, 210061 TEL: +86-25-66677777 FAX: +86-25-66670000 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Senior Designer: Lu Zhimin Photos by China Foto Press
2. BIZ CHINA
3. 4 BIZ CHINA SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA BIZ CHINA 5 TIPS DONGGUAN Recommended Trade Fair: The 13th Dongguan China Shoes·China Shoete 2011 2011.4.28-4.30 Dongguan.Houjie GD Modern International Exhibition Center The 13th Dongguan China Shoes·China Shoete is widely supported by international and regional associations. These associations will organize pavilions and bring their members to exhibit at the show. Special Zones will be set up as a highlight of the fair. Other Manufacturing Industries Packing/ Electronic & Communication/ Tin Boxes Products/ Toys/ Electric Machine & Equipment/ Garments & Fiber Products Recommended Companies Dongguan Topleader Import & Export Co., Ltd. o ers high-quality, energy-efficient and environmentally friendly LED lighting products, RV-air conditioner units, and other high-technology products and services. Showroom: http://topleader.en.made-in-china.com Dongguan GuanHong Packing Industry Co., Ltd. is specialized in the R&D of adhesive tapes. Being in this line for more than 13 years, GuanHong Basic Facts Dongguan Shoes has been one of the leading manufacturers of adhesive tapes in China. "Made in Dongguan", a new term which is popular D ongguan cur rently has near Baocheng International Group, the biggest Showroom: http://dgguanhong.en.made-in-china.com within manufacturing circles and has become 1,200 leather shoes manufacturers transnational shoes group in the world, prestigious throughout the world. with over 300,000 employees. Of established Yu Yuan Shoes Factory in Dongguan, the yearly production of 1 billion and set up Yu Yuan Industrial Park in 1988, Dongguan, located in the Mid-South of Chinas moving 10 of its subsidiary modernized factories pairs of shoes, 536 million pairs are Guangdong Province and at the core of Pearl of large scale including Bao Tai Shoes Factory, exported with an export value of River Delta as well as in the center of Guangdong- Bao Liang Shoes Materials Factory, etc. into the US$843 million. The yearly demand Shenzhen-Hong Kong economic belt, is the Industrial Park Zone. for shoe materials and shoe-making gateway for water and land transportation between equipment exceeds a total value of Guangzhou and Hong Kong and is the important 5 billion RMB. More than 10% of the economic corridor between the two regions. global shoe products are imported Dongguan ranks behind only Shenzhen, Shanghai from Dongguan, with a coverage of and Suzhou in exports among Chinese cities. over 100 countries and regions.
4. 6 BIZ CHINA SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA BIZ CHINA 7 FOSHAN Other Manufacturing Industries Sanitary Ware/ Furniture/ LED lights/ Textile/ Plastic Products TIPS Guangfo (Guangzhou-Foshan) Metro, Recommended Companies Guangfo Line, connects Guangzhou and Foshan. It is the first par t of Foshan Room Sanitary Ware Co., Ltd. is one of the top manufacturers Guangfo Metro Line with the length of in Guangdong province for two kinds of products: bathroom cabinets 20.5 kilometers (12.7 miles), running and shower enclosures. Advantages include a strong quality guarantee, Basic Facts between Kuiqi Road in Foshan and competitive prices and a professional sales-team. Xilang Station in Guangzhou. Guangfo Foshan is a city located centrally in Guangdong Province, southern China. The town of Foshan is many line is the whole ground floor of the Showroom: http://laahome.en.made-in-china.com centuries old, and is famous for its porcelain industry. Now, the third largest city in Guangdong, it city’s first rapid rail transit line, and is has become relatively a uent compared to other Chinese cities, and is home to many large private also the rst subway line, Foshan City. enterprises. In Guangdong, Foshan is one of the regions with fast economic growth, high gross amount of economy and powerful economic strength. Foshan Ceramics Foshan, the capital of ceramic, which accounts for more than half production output in China, has gathered over 60% amount of ceramic brands. In 2009, exports of ceramic reached 2.2 billion dollar, accounting for 77% of total exports in Guangdong Province and 55% of total exports in the whole of China. From the beginning of 2010 to November, exports of ceramic in Foshan reached 2 billion dollar, increasing 36%. Adapting new trend of energy saving, ceramic companies in Foshan independently produced ceramic board and o cially introduced in mainland China the rst high aluminum low carbon ultra-thin brick series, which is less than half the thickness of ordinary brick but 30% solider than that. Sienhua Electric Fan Co.,Ltd. Guangdong provides Lighting,Ceiling Fan & Bath Fan at a competitive price and high quality. At present, its products have a very good sale of exporting to volumn importers and retailers worldwide. Showroom: http://sienhua.en.made-in-china.com
5. 8 BIZ CHINA SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA BIZ CHINA 9 TIPS ZHONGSHAN Recommend Trade Fair: China (Guzhen) Lighting Fair and the LED Application Fair October, 2011 Guzhen Lighting Plaza The fair is held by Zhongshan Municipal Peoples Government of Guangdong Province, China Lighting Association, China International Trade Promotion Committee Organisation for Light Industr y. "Let Lighting Capital be brighter, be greener" was last year’s theme, helping to promote the concept of the green LED. Other Manufacturing Industries Basic Facts Electronic & Communication/ Textile/ Elevator/ Game Zhongshan was the birthplace of Dr. Sun Zhongshan (Sun Yat-sen), the great revolutionary and the founder of Kong Min Tang. Zhongshan City stands in the middle of some other famous cities, Guangzhou to its east, Zhuhai to its south, Jiangmen to its west, with Hong Kong and Macao nearby. Since the reform and opening up, Zhongshan City has developed rapidly. Infrastructure facilities has progressed enormously, with developed communications and transport on land and waterways. Currently, Zhognshan is proving to be an attractive city for investors from both home and abroad. The world Fortune Top 500 has set up more than 20 enterprises in the city. Recommended Companies Hengli Lighting Co, . Ltd. is an OEM/ODM enterprise specialized in designing and manufacturing lamps and lanterns, including various Zhongshan Lighting lamps for home decoration, such as Chandelier Lamp, Bracket Light decoration in Zhongshan covers half domestic production and sales market, and also export to Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan region, Southeast Asia, Lamp, Wall Lamp, Table Lamp, Floor Lamp. Japan, US, Europe and so on, over 130 countries and regions. Showroom: http://henglilighting.en.made-in-china.com Zhongshan old town has a high concentration of light decoration industry, keeping a elaborate division of production progress and holding complete matching facilities. By the end of 2009, the number of lighting accessories Zhongshan Sunview Lighting Co.,Ltd. is a leading company in LED companies in the whole town was far beyond 4000, with lighting products, major products include Tube, Spot, Bulb, Down nearly 10 lighting accessories markets and more than 3000 light and more. stores including. Light decoration and accessories industry accounts for 70% of the whole town’s manufacturing Showroom: http://sunviewlighting.en.made-in-china.com industry. The industry cluster of light decoration there has formed a perfect manufacturing chain and so called “regional economy of scale & accessories economy of scale”, which largely reduced the internal and external transaction cost and thus efficiently reduced the total cost of light decoration producing, consequently to transform to strong competitive advantages.
6. 10 BIZ CHINA SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA BIZ CHINA 11 JIANGMEN Basic Facts is now becoming a city with the highest output and performance in national motorcycle field. Jiangmen is located to the west of the Pearl River Delta on It was awarded the first "demonstration base of Chinas motorcycle industry," the first batch the coast of the South China Sea, adjoining Foshan in the of selected industrial clusters of upgraded Recommended Companies north, Zhongshan and Zhuhai in the east, Zhaoqing in the demonstration area in Guangdong Province. west and Yangjiang in the south and adjacent to Hong Guangdong Yatu Chemical Co., Ltd. is ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certi ed Kong and Macao. In 2009, industrial output value of the citys company, established in 1995, specializing in manufacturing complete motorcycle was totaled 24.97 billion yuan with ranges of high quality automotive re nishing products. Jiangmen was selected as a pilot city for a nationwide 4,141,600 vehicle output, accounting for about information program. It was also chosen by the Pacific Showroom: http://yatu-car-paint.en.made-in-china.com half the output of Guangdong Province, 1 / 6 of Economic Cooperation Council (PECC) as a trial city for the national output. It is estimated that vehicle the Regional Integration for Sustainable Economics (RISE) production in Jiangmen city will reach 7 million project. Among various indicators, Jiangmen excelled in with total industrial output value reaching 50 infrastructure, low labor redundancy, proportion of joint billion yuan in 2015. ventures in all rms, informal payments to government, taxation, productivity and the investment rate. Other Manufacturing Hongsu Adhesive Products Industrial Co., Ltd. is a professional company Industries specializing in manufacturing and exporting a full range of adhesive tapes and acrylic water based glue. Household Appliances/ Electronics/ Food Processing/ Synthetic Fibers/ Showroom: http://hosttape.en.made-in-china.com Garments Jiangmen Motorcycles Jiangmen motorcycle industry started since the early nineties of last century and then speeded up since the mid-nineties with an average annual growth rate of 30% from 1996. It has grown rapidly into R & D, manufacturing base with rise of the attention among peers. Jiangmen
7. 12 BIZ CHINA SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA BIZ CHINA 13 Recommended Companies After rapid development for over 10 years, Union Source has become a large General Merchandise export group, which covers widely product range for customers all around the world. Showroom: http://unionsource.en.made-in-china.com NINGBO Basic Facts Ningbo is located in the middle of the coastal line of the Chinese Mainland and to the South of the Yangtze River Delta, and enjoys one the most developed economies in China. Other Manufacturing Renowned as one of the most important windows of opening up to the outside world in China, Industries Ningbo is an important foreign trade harbor city. In 2009, the import and export trade volume of Ningbo reached USD 60.81 billion, with an increase of 20.1%; the export volume was USD 38.65 billion Mould/ Auto Par ts & Accessories/ and the import volume was 22.16 billion. Ningbo’s import and export volume ranked the 2nd position Consumer Electronics/ Lights & Lighting Xiangshan Huatai Plastic Electric Appliance Co., Ltd., is specialized in among the nation’s 5 specially designated municipalities and the 3rd position among the 15 sub- supplying and exporting of all kinds of Auto Parts & Accessories Products provincial cities. including auto part, plastic fastener and exhaust manifold and has many years experience in this eld. Showroom: http://huataiinc.en.made-in-china.com Ningbo Stationery As the city of "China Stationery Capital", Ningbo has created a large number of well-known brands such as "BEI FA", "GUANG BO", "DE LI" with more than 2700 di erent kinds of stationery enterprises. You can nd a comprehensive range of varieties of stationery products in Ningbo with 11 major categories and tens of thousands of various products covering writing instruments, paper products, notebooks, stationery of hardware table. In 2009, sales of stationery in Ningbo amount to 36.3 billion yuan, the export delivery value of which is 22.1 billion. Stationery industry comes at the top ten major industries in Ningbo City; it serves as an important role for Ningbo city in setting up an advanced manufacturing base, it has become more and more obvious that the rapid growth of the industry has taken e ect in economic development in Ningbo.
8. 14 BIZ CHINA SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA BIZ CHINA 15 TIPS Opened on 29 November, 1995, Binwang Market is one of the three main markets of this China Commodity City. It is located in No 158, Binwang Road, Yiwu City. Binwang Market, consists of ve trade districts and one international trade center, has more than 9000 booths, over 20,000 employees. The main business lines cover commodities of 16 different industries including apparel, knitting underwear, neckties, woolen yarn, towels, leather, textiles, lace, beddings, non-staple foods, dried fruits, confection, roasted seeds & nuts, grocery and furniture etc. YIWU Basic Facts Yiwu is a city of about 1.2 million people in central Zhejiang Province near the central eastern coast of China. The city is famous for its small commodity trade and vibrant free markets and is a regional tourist destination. Although Yiwu is a county-level city under the jurisdiction of Jinhua, it is more well-known than Jinhua nationally and internationally. Recommended Companies Established in 1993, Zhejiang Jiayan Daily Commodity Co., Ltd. is one of Chinas largest Yiwu Small Commodities and most professional manufacturers specializing in plastic straws and wet tissues. The commodity industry has been leading They are able to output 800 containers of plastic straws and 200 containers of wet industry in the regional economy. The Yiwu tissues per year. market has been an international commodity Showroom: http://jyrypgs.en.made-in-china.com distribution center and the important base for foreign merchants to purchase commodities. Currently, the Yiwu commodity market covers an area of 1.5 million m , and has 40,000 stores, comprising 28 categories and about 200,000 varieties of daily goods. The industrial economy is rapidly strengthening, and currently has developed and is exploiting Yiwu VIFA Imp. & Exp. Co. Ltd. o ers extensive best selling quality dollar items and stocks to industrial park areas of 64 square kilometers, dollar store owners, importers, supermarket chain stores to over 20 countries ranging from with more than 1300 enterprises. It has also automotives accessories, electronics gifts, household, hardware to kitchenware, outdoors, cultivated a group of predominant industries, pet items, and stationery. scale enterprises and famous products of socks, ornaments, zippers, cosmetics, shirts, cultural Showroom: http://vifachina.en.made-in-china.com articles, pen-making, toys, etc.
9. 16 BIZ CHINA SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA BIZ CHINA 17 Wuxi Electric Vehicle The electric car industry enjoyed a great period of rapid development between 2000-2004. It went into large-scale development which leads to three major industrial clusters: Wuxi, Zhejiang, Tianjin in accordance with the di erences between north and south (South luxury, north simple). Wuxi electric car industry has become Chinas most important production base of electric vehicles accounting for one third of the market with unmatched advantages of industrial clusters comparing to other regions. Among them, Xishan District, which Wuxi City electric car industry is concentrated in, is the main production base whose production capacity accounted for a quarter of the country with 186 existing manufacturers of electric vehicles supporting more than 480 companies which employ 5 million people. Xin Ri electric car is a leading enterprise in Wuxi with its largest output of electric car for 5 consecutive years in the world, serving as the designated supplier of electric vehicles at 2010 Shanghai World Expo. Other Manufacturing Industries Industrial Equipment & Components/ New Energy/ Biomedicine Recommended Companies Wuxi Angell Autocycle Co., Ltd. was bought by NASDAQ listed company ABAT. Its major products are: Hybrid scooters, electric vehicles, leisure e-products and some key parts for e-vehicle like motor, controller, meter, and plastic. WUXI Showroom: http://wxabat.en.made-in-china.com Basic Facts Jiangsu Fuyuan Energy Conservation Electrical Equipment Co.,Ltd. Wuxi is an old city in Jiangsu Province. Split into halves by Lake Tai, Wuxi borders Changzhou is a professional manufacturer of solar products. Customers provide to the west and Suzhou to the east. The northern half looks across to Taizhou to the north over Fuyuan with reputable feedback due to its good quality and after- the Yangtze River, while the southern half also borders the province of Zhejiang to the south. sale service. Wuxi earned its nickname "Pearl of Lake Tai" because its built on the shore of Lake Tai with beautiful sceneries. Wuxi was also dubbed "little Shanghai" because of its close proximity to Showroom: http://wxfuyuan.en.made-in-china.com the city and its fast urbanization and booming economy.
10. 18 BIZ CHINA SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 SOURCING ALL AROUND CHINA BIZ CHINA 19 TIPS Huqiu Wedding Gown Street is a famous production base of wedding dress in the north of Suzhou Tiger Hill Road, near Tiger Hill Scenic Area. There are located mostly self-employed hand-made wedding workshops usually using low price and style wedding dress to win new customers. The supply of wedding products can hardly keep pace up with the demand SUZHOU during spring and autumn wedding seasons each year. Basic Facts Other Manufacturing Industries Suzhou is located in the southeast of Jiangsu Province , bordering Plastic Machinery / Electrical & Electronics/ Textile/ Biomedicine/ Precision Instrument Shanghai on the east, Zhejiang Province on the south, the Lake Tai in the west and the Yangtze River in the north. Old sayings describe Suzhou as a “Paradise on the Earth” and the "East Venice of the World”, referring to its natural beauty, classical gardens, bridges and waters, traditional operas and soft dialect tone. Recommended Companies Apart from its natural beauty, splendid history, cultural heritage, Suzhou’s economy represents the highest growth and the fastest expansion in the past 5-10 years in the region and in China. More than 80 Fortune 500 corporations have established o ces in the town. Suzhou Wedding Dress Sinzu Wedding Dress Co., Ltd. Suzhou is lying in the famous scenic spots - Tiger Hill of Suzhou, located in the most famous wedding dress of domestic market - rose elds. Suzhou is one of the two major wedding industry bases; it has grown in It is specialized in supplying and exporting of all kinds of wedding dress products the years of eighties from the initial 3 bridal wedding stores to now more which have many years experience in this eld. than 1,000 enterprises and businesses with a stable customer base in the country and around the world. Su Zhou is undoubtedly the leader of the Showroom: http://xinzujack.en.made-in-china.comt Southeast Asian wedding industry with annual sales of 10 billion yuan, and the share of sales accounted for about 70% of the country. Suzhou Huqiu Wedding Gown Street and Huqiu Divine wedding Boutique Square are among one of the famous production bases of wedding dress Suzhou DERUN Machinery Co., Ltd. is a professional manufacturer in full set of liquid in China. It brought together nearly a thousand self-employed manual lling equipments. It focuses on research and development. It is also one of the key workshops, factories and wedding shops. Divine Wedding Boutique enterprises which is doing well in production, technical services and marketing sales. Square sells top-grade wedding products, the prices of which range from hundreds to hundreds of thousands. Huqiu Wedding Gown Street is Showroom: http://derun llingmachine.en.made-in-china.com focused mainly in the low-cost based wedding dress.
11. 20 BIZ CHINA TRADE FAIRS FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 TRADE FAIRS BIZ CHINA 21China Import and Export Fair (also renowned as the Canton Fair) has become"China’s No. 1 Fair" and a well-known exhibition in the world. The Canton Fair is acomprehensive tradeshow of international trade, boasting: the longest history,the highest quality, the largest scale, the most complete variety of exhibits, thelargest buyer attendance, the broadest distribution of buyers’ origin and thegreatest business turnover in China.The 108th Session of China Import and Export Fair concluded successfullyon November 4 at Canton Fair Complex. 200,612 overseas buyers from 208countries and regions around the world attended the 108th Canton Fair,basically the same with 107th Canton Fair with only 2.38% decrease, however anincrease of 5.7% over the same period last year.
12. 22 BIZ CHINA TRADE FAIRS FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 TRADE FAIRS BIZ CHINA 23 CHEN CLAN ACADEMY SUN YAT-SEN UNIVERSITY Add: No. 7, Zhongshan Road, Liwan District Add: No. 135 Xingang Xi Road, Haizhu District The Chen Clan Academy was built in 1890 during the Qing Dynasty. It is one Sun Yat-sen University, of the scarce clan ancestral temples in China. originally known as Kwangtung University, was founded in 1924 by Dr. Sun Yat-sen. For more than eight y years since its inception, the university, inspired by the pioneering spirit of Dr. Sun Yat-sen. He has been dedicated to the pursuit of academic excellence and produced a significant number of outstanding professionals. In the later part of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), a man named Chen achieved the third place in the highest imperial examination and was given LOCAL a distinguished o ce title which made the Family Chen well-known. Many years later someone suggested that all the Chens families raise money to build a temple to pay respects to the ancestors and encourage their GUANGZHOU o spring to study hard. Therefore, the temple was nished in 1894 with the SHANGXIAJIU WALKING STREET money donated by Chens families in 72 counties of Guangdong Province as well as some overseas family members. Add: Shangxiajiu Road, Liwan District Since Shangxiajiu road opened as the first business street of Guangzhou in DR.SUN YAT-SENS MEMORIAL HALL September, 1995, this pedestrian shopping street has ranked the rst among others in Guangzhou for its length of more than 1200 meters and its more than 300 shops. Add: No. 259, Dongfeng Zhong Lu, Yuexiu District Dr. Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall is one of the most symbolic buildings in Guangzhou. It is a major site for great convention and performance as well as a tourist attraction for both Chinese and overseas visitors. The most impressive attractions in the temple are various superb carvings Dr. Sun Yat-sen (1866 - 1925) was a revolutionary political leader that re ect the beauty of nature. They are made from a variety of materials who played a key role in overthrowing the Qing Dynasty. He is such as wood, brick, pottery, stone, and limestone. regarded as the Father of Modern China. HUANGPU MILITARY ACADEMY This shopping area had developed Add: Changzhou Island, Huangpu District its own business culture "the Western Guan Culture". It is a showcase of The Huangpu Military Academy, also called Army Military College, was traditional Cantonese architecture, and set up in 1924 by Sun Yat-sen with the aim of training military o cials for is especially pretty at night when lit up. revolution. All the shops here are Qilou or sotto From 1924 to 1927, Huangpu Military Academy o ered four terms of study porticos (a building structure of South- to 4,981 students. Those graduates took the lead to form the revolutionary Chinas construction style), which army and took part in the battle for unifying Guangzhou and the Northern make the open market weatherproof. Expedition War.
13. 24 BIZ CHINA TRADE FAIRS FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 TRADE FAIRS BIZ CHINA 25 MACHINERY LIGHT China Yiwu International Commodities Fair 2011 2011 Shanghai Intl Printing & INDUSTRY & Date: 2011.10.21 - 10.25 Venue: Yiwu International Expo Centre (No.301, Binwang Road, Yiwu City, Zhejiang Province) Packaging Products Trading Fair Date: 2011.7.6 - 7.9 DAILY USE With 5,000 booths in an exhibition area of 120,000 square meters, the fair will attract more than 2,600 domestic and Venue: Shanghai New International Expo Centre foreign enterprises. Yiwu Fair has become one of the largest, (No.2345 Long Yang Road, Shanghai, P.R. China) most influential and productive commodities fairs in China. It Shanghai Intl Printing & Packaging Products Trading Fair aims to building China International Consumer Goods Fair is estimated that over 120,000 professional traders will visit the fair, including 18,000 foreign traders and 80 trade groups from six platforms for China’s printing industry to exchange the services Date: 2011.6.8 - 6.11 overseas. trading, information, talents, science & technology and enterprise image. Venue: Ningbo International Convention & Exhibition It was the rst specialized printing and packaging products fair in China. Center Hall (No.181, Exhibition Road, Ningbo City, Zhejiang Province) China International Consumer Goods Fair (CICGF) is the largest professional international consumer goods fair in China, ranking second only to Canton Fair among all the exhibitions sponsored by Ministry of Commerce. The 2011 show will cover 100,000 m . CONSUMER ELECTRONICS China Hi-Tech Fair Date: 2011.11.16 - 11.21 Venue: Shenzhen Convention & Exhibition Center (Fuhua San Road, Shenzhen) PTC ASIA 2011 China Hi-Tech Fair (CHTF) is the largest and most in uential exhibition for high Date: 2011.10.25 - 10.28 technologies in China. Incorporating trade in hi-technologies, product exhibition, Venue: Shanghai New International Expo Centre high-level forums, investment invitation and information exchange, CHTF is the (No.2345 Long Yang Road, Shanghai, P.R. China) No.1 Technology Show in China. The PTC ASIA and CeMAT ASIA 2010 again triumphed as one of the leading exhibition platforms for the international power transmission/ fluid power and materials handling industry, helping to build new momentum for the industry. Over the four days of the show, October 25th to 28th, PTC ASIA and CeMAT ASIA gave positive exposure to the 1,609 exhibitors with a total display area of 95,000 m .
14. 26 BIZ CHINA TRADE FAIRS FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 China International Consumer Electrics Show Date: 2011.7.7 - 7.10 Venue: Qingdao International Convention Center (No. 9, Miaoling Road High-Tech Zone Qingdao, Shandong Province) SINOCES is the abbreviation for the China International Consumer Electronics Show. Since 2001, SINOCES has evolved into the most prominent international fair for consumer electronics professionals in the Asia-Paci c region. CONSTRUCTION, DECORATION & TOY Construction & Decoration The 13th China (Guangdong) International Building Decoration Fair Date: 2011.7.8 - 7.11 Venue: China Import & Export Fair Complex (NO.380, Yuejiang Zhong road, Guangzhou) CBD 2011 will continue the brilliant results of CBD 2010. With the total area of 300,000 SQM, CBD 2010 is the largest event for building decoration industry in Asia. Toys & Gifts MEGA SHOW Date: 2011.10.20 - 10.23 Venue: Hongkong Convention & Exhibition Centre (1 Expo Drive, Wanchai, Hongkong) MEGA SHOW is the most important sourcing exhibition for the gift, housewares, premiums and toy industries in the Asia-Pacific region, and takes place every October at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
16. 30 AMAZING CHINA SILK ROAD FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 SILK ROAD AMAZING CHINA 31 SILK ROAD Trading Center : Dunhuang Dunhuang lies at the western end of the Gansu Corridor. The name Dunhuang originally meant "prospering, ourishing"-- a hint that Dunhuang must once have been an important city. The Silk Road, or Silk Route was an important path for cultural, commercial and technological exchange between traders, merchants, pilgrims, missionaries, soldiers, nomads and urban dwellers from Ancient China, Ancient India, Persian Empire and Mediterranean countries for almost 3,000 years. Foreign merchants and monks from the West as well as officials and soldiers from central China brought their own cultures to Dunhuang and made the trading center a cultural "melting pot." Many economic, military, political and cultural activities took place at this cross-road. The Beginning: Xi’an Xian sits on an ancient site. The land is fertile, renewed yearly by the silt from the Yellow River. The world-renowned Mogao Grottoes, also known as the Caves of a Thousand Buddhas, is the largest and richest ancient art treasure in the world. The Han emperor, Wudi, needed allies to guard against threat from a strong neighbor. So in 119 B.C. Wudi sent Zhang Qian to form an alliance. Zhang Qians travels took him toward India. When Zhang Qian returned and told Emperor Wudi of what he had seen in these western states. He was sent back with a large delegation and items to trade. Silk was an immediate hit.
17. 32 AMAZING CHINA SILK ROAD FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 ROYAL CITY AMAZING CHINA 33 ROYAL CITY : BEIJING King Wu was the rst to declare Beijing the capital city in 1057 BC. Subsequently, the city has gone by the names of Ji, Zhongdu, Dadu, and nally Beijing when the Ming Dynasty Emperor ChengZu chose the name in 1421. Before 1949, Beijing was known as Peking by the Western world. A Beautiful Pasture Land : Urumqi During the 22nd year of the Zhenguans reign in the Tang Dynasty, 648 A.D., the Tang government set up the town of Luntai in the ancient town seat of Urabo, which is now 10 kilometers away from the southern suburb of Urumqi . Chinas Import and Export Data in 2010 In 2010, the total value of import and export nationwide amounted to USD2.9727 trillion, up 34.7% year- on-year. Export reached USD1.5779 trillion, up 31.3%; import USD1.3948 HUTONG is a typical lane or small street in Beijing that originated during the Yuan Dynasty (1271- trillion, up 38.7%. The trade surplus 1368). People say that the real culture of Beijing is "the culture of hutong" and "the culture of stood at USD183.1 billion, down courtyard". Where there is a hutong, there is a story. 6.4% from the same period last year. The Ancient Luntai Town, which played quite a signi cant role on the new northern route of the Silk Road in the Tang Dynasty, was a center for tax collection, management, and supply. BEIJING 798 ART ZONE was once occupied by a factory. Many art organizations and artists came to rent the vacant plants and transformed them, then gradually formed a district of galleries, art studios, cultural companies, fashion shops etc. SUMMER PALACE is the largest royal park of the Key Cultural Relics Protection Sites of China. In December 1998, UNESCO included the Summer Palace on its World Heritage List. It declared the Summer Palace "a masterpiece of Chinese landscape garden design.
18. 34 AMAZING CHINA SCENE CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 SCENE CHINA AMAZING CHINA 35 HEAVEN ON EARTH : CAPITAL OF SIX DYNASTIES : HANGZHOU NANJING Nanjing is located in the Yangtze River Delta. With history of over 6,000 years, Nanjing has become a famous historical and cultural city since it was established 2,500 years ago. It was once the nancial center of the Far East. Hangzhou is the capital of Zhejiang Province. It has been one of the most renowned and East China prosperous cities of China for much of the last East China is a geographical and a 1,000 years, due in part to its beautiful natural loosely-defined cultural region that scenery, with the West Lake as its most well- covers the eastern coastal area of known location. China. Metropolises like Shanghai, Hangzhou, Nanjing are located The West Lake came from a shallow bay in in this area. It is one of the most ancient time where Qiantang River ran into the important and fast-growing regions sea. Among 60 cultural relic sites of state, the in China. most classic is the Ten Scenes and the New Ten Scenes at the West Lake. Longjing Tea is one of Chinas best teas and is The Mausoleum of General Yue Fei is one reason for Hangzhous international fame. Xi located at the southern foot of Qixia Hill near The Confucius Temple is not only a Hu Long Jing has more than a thousand years of the West Lake. Yue Fei was a famous patriot and memorial place for the Great Sage in China recorded history and was mentioned in the rst military general. Since his death, Yue Fei has but has a surrounding area bustling with ever tea book (Cha Jing) by Lu Yu during the Tang evolved into the standard model of loyalty in shops, restaurants and a snack street housed in Dynasty. Chinese culture. traditional Chinese architectural buildings.
19. 36 AMAZING CHINA SCENE CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 SCENE CHINA AMAZING CHINA 37 LAND OF MILK AND HONEY : FAIRYLAND : HUANGSHAN CHENGDU Huangshan occupies the southernmost part of Anhui Province. Huangshan means Yellow Mountain in Chinese and the city is named after the famously scenic Yellow Mountains. The citys current jurisdiction covers much of the historical and cultural region of ancient Huizhou. Chengdu is located on the edge of the fertile The city of Chengdu is home to Chinas living plains of the Red Basin in Chinas Sichuan treasures the Giant Panda. The Chengdu Province. Chengdu is also one of the most Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding important economic centers, transportation and is a non-pro t research and breeding facility for communication hubs in Western China. giant pandas and other rare animals. For centuries, limited farmland in Huizhou area drove local people to travel out to make a living, bringing about the legendary success of Hui merchants who dominated the Chinese business world up until the 19th century. Hui carvings. The prefecture-level city of Huangshan administers 7 county-level divisions, including 3 districts and 4 Jinli Ancient Street is part of the old city of counties. The Hongcun village in Yixian county is one of the most beautiful villages around China. Chengdu; it features hotels and small stores in old-fashioned style. It is very popular among Development in Central and both tourists and locals, especially at night, with West China many bars, restaurants, and nightclubs. In 2010, foreign trade in central and western China increased at a rate of 45%, which was higher than the growth speed in East China, 25% around. Companies such as FOXCONN, have transferred from southeast coastal regions to central and western regions like Henan, Hubei, Sichuan or other provinces. This trend will probably bring new competitive advantages to foreign trade or industry in China. Chengdus local cuisine is world renowned for its delicious spiciness.
20. 38 AMAZING CHINA SCENE CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 SCENE CHINA AMAZING CHINA 39 BEST NATURAL BEAUTY : A TOWN OUT OF TIME : GUILIN FENGHUANG Guilin situated in the northeast of the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region on the west bank of the Li River. Guilin is surrounded by two rivers and four lakes and studded with sheer sided Karst mountains. The scene of Li River is printed on the back of ¥20 bank notes. Yangshuo, 65 kilometers to the southeast of Guilin, is the paradise for backpackers, highly recommended in Lonely Planet guide book. Fenghuang is located at the southwest ridge of Generations of local people have stepped on the central Chinas Hunan Province. Fenghuang is lanes and worn them down bit by bit. Chinese for phoenix, the mythical bird which is a good omen and symbolizes longevity. Fenghuang gets its name from a legend that two of these fantastic birds ew over the town and found the town so beautiful that they hovered over it, reluctant to leave. Rice Noodles are the most famous local cuisine in Guilin. The rice noodles are cooked in broth and served in a bowl of soup made from pork, beef, garlic, peanuts, peppers, and radishes, etc. This ancient town has a history of 1,300 years. Mist envelopes the town in the early morning Visiting West Street, you will be surrounded by an array of traditional folk and amazing international elements. or after a rain, creating a charming picturesque scene of Southwest China.
21. 40 AMAZING CHINA SCENE CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 SCENE CHINA AMAZING CHINA 41 WATER TOWN : XITANG NAKHI OLD TOWN : LIJIANG Xitang is a famous town with thousands of years of history, lying in Jiashan County in Jiaxing City, Zhejiang Province. Its The town in Yunnan province has a history going back more than 800 at terrain is marked by a quiet, natural environment with rivers running through it. years and was once a centre for trade along the old tea horse road. The old town of Lijiang differs from other ancient Chinese cities in architecture, history and the culture due to the in uence of its traditional residents the Nakhi people. Walk around, watch people, shop, drink and eat. There is a bon re at around 7PM at Si Fang Jie, the central plaza. Many local folks dance there, entertain themselves. Tourists are welcomed to join in. The covered corridor is the most well known scene in Xitang. It is also the most distinctive feature this historic town o ers compared with other water towns. Water Towns in China Chinas water towns, often referred as Venice of the East, are famous for their ancient buildings, bridges, canals, and ways of life that have not changed in centuries. They are idyllic destinations to unwind from the hustle and bustle of Chinas cities and can offer visitors glimpses into Chinas ancient past. In addition to the covered corridor the lanes there are another eye-catching areas in Xitang. Lijiang was first known by westerns through There are many lanes here, long and short, wide a book, Lost Horizon, written by an American and narrow. The ancient houses are themselves commissioner who traveled in and out of of great cultural value, but also display cultural Yunnan Province in late 19th century. Shangrila relics such as woodcarvings or roof eave tiles was also mentioned in that book and became collected by the house owner. famous.
23. 44 CUISINE TEA HOUSE FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 TEA HOUSE CUISINE 45 TEA HOUSE IN TEA HOUSE IN GUANGDONG BEIJING AND TIANJIN The Cantonese have a custom of drinking tea with dim sum in their leisure time or at business meetings. The tea drinking tradition can be traced back over a hundred years to the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). Unlike Kongfu tea in South China, the tea houses in Beijing and Tianjin use green tea or jasmine tea instead of Wulong tea. They don’t have the same level of ceremony that is used for Kongfu tea. Lao She Teahouse is a famous teahouse in Beijing. Lao She Teahouse is named after the famous drama "Teahouse" by Lao She. The real tea-drinkers preferred to kill time with one pot of fragrantly hot tea and two plates of snacks. In the past, businessmen came here to exchange information as well as to enjoy a little bit of life over a cup of tea with some snacks. Teahouses in Tianjin have the professional performance of Chinese folk art called “Xiangsheng” which can be likened to a “talk-show” in the west. Kongfu tea (Kongfu cha), the "espresso" of Chinese teas with a formidable kick, is still ourishing and remains an important part of social etiquette in Chaozhou, Guangdong Province.
24. 46 CUISINE TEA HOUSE FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 TEA HOUSE CUISINE 47 TEA HOUSE IN SICHUAN TEA HOUSE IN Sichuan has teahouses in towns and cities everywhere. There is a saying, "China has the best SOUTH OF YANGTZE RIVER teahouses in the world and Sichuan has the best teahouses in China." It is a custom for Yangzhou people to have morning tea in teahouses, which is part of Yangzhou culture and also an indication of rich Chinese food culture. Pingtan, a form of storytelling accompanied by music, is also popular in tea houses in south of Yangtze River. Located on the streets in Sichuan Province, teahouses serve unique local cuisine and are home to the true local living style. Teahouses have been an impor tant home for social interaction and gathering place since ancient time. Chinas Tea Export The history of tea in China is long and complex. The Chinese have enjoyed tea for millennia. According You can also watch Chuanju Opera in tea houses. to legend, tea was first discovered by To attract the audience, Chuanju masters the Chinese emperor and inventor developed a unique sense of humor and Shennong in 2737 B.C. China performance skills, such as mask changing and exported 302440 tons of tea valued knife play. at 78416.9 million US dollars in 2010. Whichever tea house you go into, you can appreciate the strong style of Sichuan: the bamboo chairs, the square tables, the particular tea sets, the cooper teapots and the special skill Dim sum generally refers to steamed buns, thin of lling water by Dr. Tea, the name given to the tofu noodles in broth, giant soup dumplings, and tea waiters in Sichuan. fried fritters.
25. 48 CUISINE FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 CUISINE 49 WHAT TO EAT IN Autumn The Zhongqiu Festival, also known as the Moon Festival or Mid- FOUR SEASONS Autumn Festival, is a popular harvest festival celebrated by Chinese people. It is held on the 15th day of the eighth month in the Chinese calendar. This festival is also known as the Moon Cake Festival because a special kind of sweet cake (moon cake) prepared in the shape of the moon. Spring The rst month of the Chinese calendar is called "yuan" month and in ancient times people called night "xiao". The fifteenth day is the first night to see a full moon, therefore the day is called Yuan Xiao Festival (Lantern Festival) in China. According to Chinese tradition, at the very beginning of a new year, when there is a bright full moon hanging in the sky, there should be thousands of colorful lanterns hung out for people to appreciate. At this time, people will try to solve puzzles on lanterns, eat yuanxiao (glutinous rice ball) and enjoy a family reunion. Yuanxiao is made of glutinous rice flour, filled with red bean paste, chopped peanuts and sugar, sesame paste (ground black sesame seeds mixed with lard), rock sugar (which would create a hot, melting caramel-like lling), etc. For generations, moon cakes have been made with sweet llings of nuts, mashed red beans, lotus-seed paste or Chinese dates, wrapped in a pastry. Sometimes a cooked egg yolk can be found in the middle of the rich tasting dessert. Summer Duanwu Festival, also known as Dragon Boat Festival, is a traditional and statutory holiday associated with Chinese and other East Asian and Southeast Asian societies as well. The festival occurs on the 5th day of the 5th Winter month of the lunar calendar. The focus of the celebrations Laba Festival falls on the eighth day of the twelfth month in Chinese calendar. includes eating the rice Chinese People always regard Laba as the sign that Spring Festival is just around dumpling Zongzi , drinking the corner. On this day, each family will cook Laba Rice Porridge, a thick, sweet realgar wine Xionghuangjiu, porridge of glutinous rice, green beans, candied fruit, peanuts and lotus kernels. and racing dragon boats. It is said that the Buddha Sakyamuni begged alms with an earthen bowl and was The traditional food for the given a variety of di erent foods to appease his hunger. To commemorate him, many Dragon Boat Festival, Zongzi is a kinds of rice and beans are used every year on that day. glutinous rice ball, with a lling, wrapped in corn leaves. The llings can be egg, beans, sweet potato, walnuts, mushrooms, meat, or a combination of them. They are generally steamed.
27. 52 CULTURE FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 CULTURE 53 BEIJING OPERA Beijing opera or Peking opera is a form of traditional Chinese theatre which combines music, vocal performance, mime, dance and acrobatics. It arose in the late 18th century and became fully developed and recognized by the mid-19th century. Cultural Exchange In recent years, China has actively Dan conducted cultural exchanges with other countries. On Oct. 7, 2010, The Dan refers to any female role. Dan roles were Italy and China inaugurated one originally divided into ve subtypes. Old women year full of celebrations featuring were played by Laodan, martial women were hundreds of artistic events aimed Wudan, young female warriors were Daomadan, at further spreading knowledge of virtuous and elite women were Qingyi, and the Chinese culture in Italy. High- vivacious and unmarried women were Huadan. standard comprehensive exchange In the early years of Beijing opera, all Dan roles activities demonstrate the favorable, were played by men. vigorous image of China in the ongoing reform and opening-up, and promote the exchange and mutual understanding with related countries. Sheng Beijing opera features four The Sheng is the main male role in Beijing opera. This role has numerous subtypes. The Laosheng main types of performers. is a digni ed older role. Young male characters are known as Xiaosheng. The Wusheng is a martial character for roles involving combat. They are highly trained in acrobatics, and have a natural voice when singing. Jing The Jing is a painted face male role. Depending on the repertoire of the particular troupe, he will play either primary or secondary roles. Beijing opera boasts 15 basic facial patterns, but there are over 1000 speci c variations. Each design is unique to a speci c character. Chou The Chou is a male clown role. The Chou usually plays secondary roles in a troupe. The name of the role is a homophone of the Mandarin Chinese word chou, meaning "ugly". This reflects the traditional belief that the clowns combination of ugliness and laughter could drive away evil spirits.
28. 54 CULTURE FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 CULTURE 55 CHINESE WEDDING In China, marriage is considered to be one of the three most important things in ones whole life. Chinese wedding is a ceremonial ritual within Chinese societies that involve a marriage established by pre-arrangement between families. Then the bride and groom will leave her home and proceed to meet the grooms parents for a Tea Ceremony. The couple needs to serve tea to both parents and guests. In return, they will be presented with jewelry and money placed in red envelopes. When the wedding day comes, the bride’s and groom’s families perform "hair dressing" ritual for the bride and "capping" ritual for the groom, which symbolizes their initiation into adulthood and are impor tant par ts of the wedding preparations. The bride wears auspicious and festive red clothes, and the bridegroom would wear a special wedding suit accompanied by a procession to pick up his bride. The feast or wedding banquet is an important part of the wedding. Wedding banquets are to thank family and friends for the kindness they have shown throughout the years. Most feasts will serve a twelve course meal including delicacies like roasted pig. The night of the wedding, the bridal room will light dragon and phoenix candles to drive away the evil spirit, the newlyweds will drink wine from two cups tied together with a red string, arms crossed with each other.
29. 56 CULTURE FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 CULTURE 57 KONGFU PAINTING AND CALLIGRAPHY Chinese painting and calligraphy has a long history. Chinese characters evolved from pictures and signs, and the Chinese art of calligraphy developed naturally from its unique writing system. Through the ages, great calligraphers developed representative calligraphic styles of their times. Bruce Lee Wax Figure at Madame Tussauds. Chinese Kongfu is classified into various styles The Shaolin Monastery or Shaolin Temple is long In years past, the mountains of Wudang were according to di erent regions, di erent schools famous for its association with Chinese martial known as an academic centre for the research, and families, as well as different fighting arts and particularly with Shaolin Kongfu. Of the teaching and practice of Chinese martial arts. techniques. There are two most famous Kongfu tens of thousands of Kongfu and wushu styles, Wudang Taiji, also known as shadowboxing, scenic spots: Shaolin Temple in Henan Province several hundred have some relationship to is another major division of Chinese martial and Wudang Mountain in Hubei Province. Shaolin. art. Now it becomes a practice that promotes relaxation and relieving stress. Chinese Artwork Auction The values of Chinese antiques are rising even outside the country’s own art market, which is now second only to the U.S. A Qianlong- Painted by Zhang Daqian. dynasty scroll painting sold in March in France, for a record 22.1 million The roots of Chinese painting can be traced euros ($31 million), the latest in a back to paintings on Neolithic pottery six or series of big- ticket auction prices seven thousand years ago. Since similar tools pledged by Asian bidders keen to and lines were used for the earliest painting and buy back Chinas heritage. writing, painting is said to have the same origin as calligraphy. Thus, Chinese paintings usually integrate poetry or calligraphy with themes that Painted by Xu Beihong. include figures, landscapes, flowers, birds and other animals.
30. 58 CULTURE FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 CULTURE 59 HAN COSTUME TRADITIONAL Han costume or Hanfu is the traditional dress of Han nationality in China. Han costume has a CHINESE MEDICINE history of more than three millennia. From the beginning of its history, Han costume (especially in elite circles) was inseparable from silk. A complete Han costume garment is assembled from several pieces of clothing into an output: Yi ( ): Any open cross-collar garment, and worn by both sexes With a history of 2000 to 3000 years, Traditional Pao ( ): Any closed full-body garment, worn Chinese Medicine (TCM) has formed a unique system to diagnose and cure illness. The TCM In TCM, the understanding of the human body only by men in Han costume approach is fundamentally di erent from that of is based on the holistic understanding of the Ru ( ): Open cross-collar shirt Western medicine. universe as described in Daoism, and the treatment of illness is based primarily on the Shan ( ): Open cross-collar shirt or jacket that is diagnosis and di erentiation of syndromes. worn over the Yi The TCM approach treats Zang-Fu organs as the Qun ( ) or Chang ( ): Skirt for women and men core of the human body. Tissue and organs are Ku ( ): Trousers or pants connected through a network of channels and blood vessels inside human body. People are also able to accessorize with tassels and jade pendants or various ornaments hung from the belt or sash, known as Pei ( ). Acupuncture is a technique of inserting and manipulating ne needles into speci c points on the body with the aim of relieving pain and for therapeutic purposes. According to traditional Chinese acupuncture theory, these acupuncture points lie along meridians along which Qi, the vital energy, ows.
31. NICELYMADE IN CHINA
32. 62 NICELY MADE IN CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 NICELY MADE IN CHINA 63 PORCELAIN Porcelain is generally believed to have originated in China. Porcelain manufactured during the Tang Dynasty period (618–906) was exported to the Islamic world, where it was highly prized. By the Sui (about 580 AD) and Tang (about 620 Porcelain Capital: Jingdezhen AD) dynasties, porcelain had become widely produced. Jingdezhen is located in Jiangxi Province. Jingdezhens porcelain has been famous not only in China but also in other countries. It became known internationally for being "as thin as paper, as white as jade, as bright as a mirror, and as sound as a bell". Jingdezhens natural resources include kaolin, coal, manganese, and lime, but it is the kaolin that has made the city famous in China and the world. For over a millennium, its unique kaolin has enabled Jingdezhen to make high- quality porcelain. How to make porcelain? Forming Pottery can be produced in three basic forming traditions: handwork, wheel work, and slip casting. It’s very common for wheel-worked pieces to be nished by handwork techniques. Glazing Decoration Unlike their lower- red counterparts, porcelain ware does not Porcelain ware may be decorated with need glazing to render them impermeable to liquids and for under glaze using pigments that include the most parts are glazed for decorative purposes and to make cobalt and copper or over glaze using them resistant to dirt and staining. coloured enamels. Firing In this process, green (unfired) ceramic ware is heated to high temperatures in a kiln to permanently set their shapes. Porcelain is red at a higher temperature than earthenware so that the body can vitrify and become non-porous.
33. 64 NICELY MADE IN CHINA FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 NICELY MADE IN CHINA 65 TEXTILE China is one of the earliest countries in the world to begin the production of Compared with modern textile machines, with the exception of power intensity, spindle number and running speed, China’s textiles. According to legends, the Yellow Emperors wife Lei Zu invented the ancient textile machinery operated basically on the same principle in terms of either machine structure or power transmission. textile technology. From the Xia Dynasty to the Spring and Autumn Period and Warring China Textile Industry States Period, textile technology experienced great development. The output of China textile industry Through long-term refinement, the combination textile tools increased steadily in 2010. Total evolved into primitive reeling machines, spinning wheels and looms. industrial production value of statistics-worthy China textile The Nanjing "Yunjin" silk brocade is one of the three brocades well-known in China and abroad. Its enterprises increased by 1.31 times elegant and re ned design with beautiful colors makes it look like clouds in the sky. So its named from 2005 to CNY4765.0 billion "Yunjin"(cloud brocade or cloud silk). in 2010. In 2010, Chinas textile and apparel export was on their way to recovery, as it was rapidly returning to its pre-crisis export level. According to China Customs, the exports value of Chinas textile and garment amounted to $206.5 billion in 2010, increasing 75.72 percentage points from 2005.
34. 66 CHINESE PEOPLE FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 CHINESE PEOPLE 67 CHINESE PEOPLE China enjoys with a vast territory and abundant resources, it shows di erent types of local customs and practices. Beijing Pekinese is provided with its own unique sense of humor, and passion, which fundamentally embodies on Beijing taxi drivers who can chat and heat up with passengers from different places with Pekinese put it, this is called "Kan Da Shan" meaning “chew the fat”. Pekinese is very pragmatic; no matter what they do, they always leave people with a feeling of pragmatism. They advocate genuine relationships; sincere with others, scorn treacherous false style with a gentleman style. The relationships among Pekinese is one of the most "humane", and in old Beijing courtyard, we can find several families with no genetic relationship living in the same space, care, share bliss each other when in trouble with the friendly harmony. Shanghai Shanghai is Chinas most developed city and is very easy for people to adapt to, but the prevalence of Shanghai dialect makes it more difficult for outsiders to get used to. Shanghai people enjoy good taste; they are reasonable, polite, very particular about life, and very trustworthy, law-abiding, work fine. The products in shanghai enjoy the highest quality. Shanghai businessmen are shrewd experts with a quick wit and they can tell good products from bad ones while arguing strongly on just grounds.
35. 68 CHINESE PEOPLE FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 CHINESE PEOPLE 69 Zhejiang Sichuan Zhejiang businessmen pay attention to Chengdu Plain has the reputation of the starting business in small scale. They will land of abundance with one of the best spare no effort even for a single dime. brewing technology in China; many famous After accumulating enough capital, they alcohols can be found here. Residents here would try to make the product from care to enjoy life; they have unique view of simple one to sophisticated one that is point with a wealth of folk wisdom. They from buttons to clothing and shoes, from love "Long Men Zhen" meaning “playing electronic components to the complete mahjong”. As in the basin, Sichuan is slightly sets of electronic devices, from small closed compared to the coastal provinces daily used items to high-tech products. due to con ned basin culture. They are more and more involved in real estate, finance industry. Where there is the forefront of Chinas economy, there is Zhejiang. Jiangsu Shandong Shandong was the birthplace of Chinese culture. Jiangsu is called a land flowing with milk People from Shandong are honest men with and honey. As Jiangsu is rich in water kindness and integrity, known as "Chinese resources, people tend to be soft just like among the Chinese people." “Qi Lu” culture as the water of Jiangsu. the traditional Orthodox culture in Shandong, a People in Jiangsu are mostly small concept rooted deep in foster loyalty is still with especially for women; men are the soft- the orthodox ideas, "loyalty" and "justice" serve spoken with reserved behavior. People as fundamental human values in Shandong. from Jiangsu are quick minded with good The so-called "justice", shall mean take a moral business, financial skills, even literary responsibility of the state and the friends from talent is also very outstanding. a moral principle, Shandong businessmen are honest, contract abided, trustworthy. Canton Most areas in Guangdong are along the coast of southeast sea of China, since ancient time most people are living by Northeast (Heilongjiang, Jilin, fishing. In the sea, many people need to cooperate through storms every day, Liaoning) which prompted the formation of a The highlighted civilization in the Northeast people brave Cantonese character and strong is hero worship, brave, strong, hard-working, and so team spirit. Cantonese is also wild, full of the quality of recognition. There is also a feature of the creativity, daring to dare. In modern times, Northeast people, which is they are warm, generous the trend may be repeated in Guangdong, and helpful. Chinese singer Xue Cun had sung a song from the Northern Expedition to the "We the Northeast people are all living Lei Feng ", which reform and opening up, many far-reaching is the best explanation for this character. (Lei Feng, events are opened by the Cantonese. 1940-1962, helped numerous people in a very short life.)
36. 70 FAQ FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FAQ 71 QUESTIONS ABOUT SOURCING FROM CHINA Finding manufacturing high quality samples to the buyer but the a representative office to manage China Examples of fraud. How to nd reliable suppliers Negotiating contracts and quality of the real end product is very poor. sourcing operations. You can also nd quality online? partners, In order to avoid poor quality, you should Chinese manufacturers online or on trade fairs. Trading with fake companies. Fake check agreements scams. Poor product quality. Sometimes buyers Provide clear requirements regarding product keeping it SIMPLE and undertake quality and inspection before send free samples to suppliers but they are not quality, material speci cation, and dimensions ordering, during the production process and What are the most important SAFE just before the shipment leaves. the same as the nal delivered products. etc. Obtain quality certificates including things when negotiating with material composition reports, independent How to make sure goods brought quality repor ts and other evidence of Chinese people? How to protect my IP Rights? into my country meet all national testing and inspection. Obtain samples Organization, detail, politeness, a strong will Register your intellectual property right(s) regulatory requirements? for assessment. If possible visit the factory. and a healthy dose of patience. What precautions should I take Should I be wary of over generous Provide suppliers with detailed feedback (IP rights) under your countrys law. You can Goods that dont meet requirements can be protect your Logo(s) and Slogan(s) under the before making the nal payment? o ers? about the product and how they can improve stopped at the border or result in future legal Chinese Anti Unfair Competition Law. Try to You should use the services of a credit suits. It is highly recommended to consult a Yes, be wary of potential partners who offer their service. register your IPR(s) in China as well. Small and institution that checks the background good customs broker before placing any orders. an especially high or low price. It is easy to be medium enterprises should therefore always tempted by such offers, but they are often Is there a strong emphasis on of manufacturers before you make your use written agreements addressing the issues attempts of fraud. In business, the expression hierarchy in Chinese business final payment. Always remember: No final surrounding know-how, trademarks, IPR, non- payments unless you are certain you will culture? "you get what you pay for" is often painfully How to source on Made-in-China. competition and con dentiality. receive the goods. true. Be especially diligent to check the Yes, ensure you bring a senior member of your Why is it best to see the factory for com? contact information, identification and any organization to lead the negotiations on your myself? Search products and suppliers by keywords, claims a suspicious trade partner makes. If it behalf. The Chinese will do the same. Good relationships (or guanxi in Chinese) or send inquiries to suppliers. You can post sounds unbelievable, it probably is. play a crucial role in business in China, so it is o ers too. Registration is free. How to make sure my supplier is What has to be done if the an authorized reseller? advisable to meet the suppliers before placing suppliers do not deliver goods? an order. And you can inspect manufacturing Contact the owner of the brand to con rm if When failed in communicating with the areas to get an idea of raw material quality, How to find who makes the final they are an authorized reseller. supplier, keep a record of contact emails, workers’ skills, production capabilities and the Is there any possibility that some decision? What are Audited Suppliers from payment bills and other valid documents to internal QC process of the manufacturer. fraud may not actually be fraud? Made-in-China.com? Since the hierarchy within a Chinese report the case to the police and also voice Yes, some fraud may not actually be fraud but organization is complicated, treat everybody a complaint to local trade committee or S G S , t h e wo r l d s l e a d i n g i n s p e c t i o n , problems occurring due to misunderstanding with equal respect and be prepared to department of commerce. ver ification, testing and cer tification How to protect trade secrets and and miscommunication and the lack of present your material to many different company, personally and individually tests processes? How about after-sale service of understanding of each others’ culture. Many people at varying levels of authority. and audits Audited Suppliers from Made-in- When outsourcing manufacturers you may Chinese suppliers? of these issues can be avoided by seeking China.com to make sure they meet world class consider separating your designs, ideas and trade information from Chinese related standards. At present, a lot of excellent Chinese suppliers know-how amongst various manufacturers When should I be suspicious? provide comprehensive after-sale service, government institutions. to ensure that no one manufacturer is able to If the supplier avoids giving you substantive set up repair centers overseas or authorize How to exchange business cards? steal your trade secrets and know-how. This information about its company. They may cooperation partners to offer after-sale The Chinese are keen about exchanging works like a puzzle, distributing each single act excited but vague, emphasizing what a service. It includes consultation, products piece to another location to eliminate the What are Audit Reports of Made- business cards, so be sure to bring a plentiful great opportunity this is for you. The supplier maintenance, accessories replacement, etc. How to source online? in-China.com? supply. Present your card with two hands. chances of putting the pieces all together. asks you for up-front payment. If they request Educate yourself about how to source online When receiving a card place it in a case or bag payment options other than Letter of Credit, Audit Reports are produced by SGS, the by reading resources offered by Made-in- rather than in a wallet or pocket. T/T or Western Union. worlds leading supplier cer tification china.com and other resources. Every day new company. An SGS audit report contains the What problems do most people suppliers register with B2B websites such as following information: general information, How to assure product quality? complain about? Made-in-china.com. When sending an inquiry foreign trade capacity, product research & Sometimes a buyer may receive poor quality to a supplier, make sure you state your request What should I print on my Failure to send the correct products. Sending development capacity, quality management products after payment has been made, How do I structure the relationship in detail. Let the supplier know: exactly what business card? product of inferior quality than the samples. system and product certi cation, production but the supplier refuses to compensate with my China sourcing partner? you are looking for, the quantity you require, Your professional title, especially if you Failure to deliver on time. Failure to disclose all capacity & quality control, financial position, the importer or does not even respond to Some companies use a full-service relevant information about a product or terms your location, expected price range, delivery working environment & energy saving and have the seniority to make decisions. If your complaints. Sometimes a supplier may send China sourcing agent and others set up of the sale. time requirements, and etc. photos. company is the oldest or largest in your
37. 72 FAQ FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FAQ 73 country, or has another prestigious distinction, Are contracts sometimes flexible in China. Especially in 2009, a large amount nothing else but low-price products to buying How are the environmental Whats the ASEAN-China Free ensure that this is stated on your card. in Chinese business culture? of exporters were facing challenges of a ones of high quality or ones with high ratio protection products developing in Trade Area? possible reshuffle in trading field. After of performance to price. Global buyers are China? Yes, sometimes the stronger your relationship The ASEAN–China Free Trade Area (ACFTA), is a crisis, companies with out-of-date industrial becoming more and more strategic. They with the other party, the more likely the In recent years, most Chinese suppliers are free trade area among the ten member states structure and production mode became tend to merchandising different products in contract will be followed as written. It is taking developing low carbon products and of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations obsolescent, while lots of excellent, advanced only one region in order to save expense of How to say NO in china? important to not solely rely on the contract to eco-friendly products seriously, switching (ASEAN) and the Peoples Republic of China. companies sur vived and stepped onto prophase research; merchandising innovated Negative replies are considered impolite in protect you. Establishing a strong relationship to Green industry. Chinese government The free trade area came into effect on 1 a higher level. Finance Crisis is not only a products which have market potential; China. Chinese people won’t say "no" to a and having proactive involvement in product also released several strategies and laws January 2010. It is the largest free trade area in challenge but also a great opportunity for cooperating with Chinese suppliers that proposal. They will say "perhaps", "Im not sure", QC is the key to getting the product you to improve public conscious awareness of terms of population and third largest in terms Chinese enterprises. have completed support facilities and are "Ill think about it", or "Well see" instead. desire. of nominal. professional in trading procedure; making environmental problems. Exporting products factors such as currenc y appreciation with high energy consumption and high and rise of labor costs part of their inquiry carbon emission will be largely cut off in government planning. Chinese markets Chinas top international trade consideration to sign replying clauses. What are the economic bene ts of Whats the meaning of “No big cities. problem” or “The problem is not the ASEAN-China Free Trade Area? serious”? Economy of China in 2010. Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and Tianjin. The free trade agreement reduced tariffs on It usually means “There are still problems”. China is the worlds second largest economy Nanjing, Suzhou, Zhangjiagang in Jiangsu What is the new trend of Has price rise in uenced 7,881 product categories, or 90 percent of Always investigate the situation fully to obtain after the United States. It is the worlds fastest- Province. transformation of Chinese foreign exporting? imported goods, to zero. This reduction took facts. growing major economy, with average trade enterprises? e ect in China and the six original members Guangzhou, Foshan, Zhongshan, Jiangmen, Over these days Chinese suppliers are growth rates of 10% for the past 30 years. of ASEAN: Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Quanzhou, D ongguan in Guangdong The development of foreign trade under pressure of rise in the RMB, in raw Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. The Province. competition ability in developing countries material cost and in labor cost. Under the remaining four countries will follow suit in experiences 3 stages: The first stage is the circumstance, price rise is a helpless but 2015. Hangzhou, Ningbo, Wenzhou, Yiwu, and Why are Chinese people renowned Taizhou in Zhejiang Province. period of labor resource advantage, which logical result. However, quite a lot of Chinese for being tough negotiators? Chinas top trading partners. has already passed over; the second one is suppliers began to develop high value-added Chinas top trading partners are Europe, Xiamen and Fuzhou in Fujian Province. the currently on-going progress of technical products to resist price rise crisis. Chinese businessmans primar y aim in United States and Japan. improvement and stick-to-card production; negotiations is “concessions”. Always bear this Qingdao in Shandong Province. What are the hot spots of the third stage covers independent in mind when formulating your own strategy. investment in China at present? innovation, technology suppor t, and You must be willing to show compromise and sales ability development – only a few of Electronic Information, Technology, Media, ensure their negotiators feel they have gained Compared with India, Vietnam, Chinese enterprises have stepped onto this Telecom, Clean Energy, Healthcare, Public major concessions. What are the main products for Chinas potential international stage while most of them still remain in an Philippine, what are the Service, Real Estate. export in China? trade cities. advantages of Chinese suppliers? intermediate state. In 2010, export of electromechanical products Advantages of Chinese suppliers mainly Chongqing. rose to 933.43 billion dollar, rising at 30.9 lie in industrial comprehensive matching Whats the biggest di erence percent. This occupied 59.2% of total export Yangzhou, Nantong, Lianyungang in Jiangsu capacity. After several decades’ development between Western and Chinese volume in China, among which export of Province. What are the current situation of How is brand consciousness of in the fields of manufacturing industry investment and construction in business culture in decision electronic products accounted for 388.79 and foreign trade, China has now formed making? billion dollar, rising at 29.1% and export of Jiaxing in Zhejiang Province. Chinese enterprises? China? complete industrial chains in regions such Quick decisions are alien to Chinese. Rapid mechanical equipments accounted for Chengdu in Sichuan Province. In the past, there is not a world famous As a result of a big market in China, low labor as Guangdong, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Fujian, decision making, incorporating quickly 309.83%, rising at 31.4%. brand in China. While in recent years, lots cost, complete matching facilities, many Shandong, Shanghai, Tianjin and etc., and gathered and processed information, is a sign of Chinese enterprises began to build their foreign investors choose China as their target has a complete, mature industrial matching of an aggressive, highly competent manager own brands, and even took brand building place for investing and building factory. In system as well. in the West. But to Chinese, haste is the sign What is the new trend of purchasing and global promotion as one of their long 2010, 27406 foreign companies got o cially of an idiot. The Chinese prefer to deliberate What is the impact of nance crisis in China? strategic targets. Most enterprises started approved to enter China, demonstrating a longer so you need to be patient. on Chinese suppliers? from improving quality, updating services year-on-year increase of 16.94%. And the At present, global buyers have developed and maintaining corporate image and till now top 10 countries and regions of investment their used way of purchasing from buying Finance Crisis largely affected global trade have obtained positive results. in China are as follows: Hong Kong, Taiwan,
38. 74 FAQ FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 FAQ 75 Singapore, Japan, US, Korea, UK, France, What’s “geimianzi”? Is there anything I should avoid should always be wrapped, but avoid plain Why do Guangdong people tap youd better have one. They can save you Netherland, Germany. when having dinner with Chinese black or white paper because these are the the table when someone pours tea money on tickets of museums and can help It means giving face, showing respect for people? colors of mourning. Don’t expect them to for them? you get good prices at the markets. a persons feelings. Simple ways of "giving unwrap the gift in front of you, rather it may face" could be sitting in the correct place at a Leaving a "clean plate" means that you are not It means THANK YOU. just be put aside. This does not mean they are What is the current situation of meeting or dinner, o ering an appropriate gift given enough food, which makes the host lose face. not grateful. electronic business in China? to a person, or giving praise and compliments. How to tell a cab driver where to At present in the field of Chinese electronic Dont tap on your bowl with your chopsticks. go when he or she cant speak b u s i n e s s, B 2 C , C 2 C t r a d e i s g ro w i n g When do Chinese people usually English? Sticking your chopsticks straight up in your take a long vacation? vigorously, and B2B occupies an absolute rice bowl is considered rude because in this Which kind of gifts is popular What’s “meimianzi”? Ask someone to write down the address in share in the market. The annual Chinese Spring Festival comes position, they resemble the joss sticks that are among Chinese? Chinese to show the cab driver. Never get in It means losing face. Face can be lost through used in Chinese religious rituals. every late January or early February, almost an unmarked taxi cab, or you will be charged Popular items include cigarette lighters, wine, every Chinese person takes vacation for at a public insult or public contradiction or by more than you should. Make sure they always the exotic coins, local traditional ornaments or least 7 days. failure to receive the proper level of respect. It use the meter. food etc. What is the situation of B2B is not really the act that causes a loss of face but market in China in 2010? the fact that the act is public, and there is public Should I arrive earlier when Never give clocks to Chinese. humiliation or loss of prestige involved. hosting a banquet? In 2010, B2B market in China kept a steady growth, and the volume of business reached Why do younger Chinese give up a Can I drink tap water in China? Yes, you should arrive at least 30 minutes seat to elders on bus? 3.8 thousand billion, increasing by 15.8% year- before your guests. No, usually tap water is not drinkable. You are on-year. Why do Chinese people Chinese people respect for elders. So dont be recommended to drink bottled water instead. What’s “liumianzi”? sometimes refuse my gift? offended if younger Chinese offer you an arm Always boil the water if your only choice is tap going up stairs or other assistance if you are older. I t means giving someone a chance to Chinese do not usually accept a gift, invitation water. regain lost honor. It can be very important in What does “Have you eaten?” or favor when it is first presented. Politely building long-term business relationships and mean? refusing two or three times is thought to re ect friendships. modesty and humility. Accepting something The question “Have you eaten?” or “Where Culture and customs in haste makes a person look aggressive and Does every Chinese learn Kongfu? What are the emergency have you been?” are mentioned in China as well as “How are you?” Its just a superficial greedy. So it may sometimes take a few tries to Of course not. telephone numbers in China? What’s “guanxi”? inquiry that does not require a literal-minded, get the person to accept the gift. 110--Police, 119--Fire, 120--Emergency, Why do Chinese suppliers invite detailed answer. 114--Directory inquires and information, Guanxi in Chinese means "relationship" or me to a business dinner? Does it social networking. Its regarded as the central 121—Weather. mean their products are not so idea in Chinese society. "Guanxi" can take on good? Do I need to tip in China? many forms. It does not have to be based on Do I need to give business gifts to Travel Tips money. The kernel of guanxi is doing business No, Chinese business dinners are based on No, tipping is not practiced and almost no one through value-based relationships. Chinese tradition. If done properly, the business banquet Chinese? When are the peak tourist asks for tips. people feel obligated to do business with is one of the best ways to demonstrate ones How to learn Chinese for free in seasons? Unlike many countries, gift-giving does not their friends first. Right guanxi can ensure a knowledge and appreciation of Chinese culture China? carry any negative connotations when doing Chinese New Year: Date varies but generally success. to current or future business associates. business in China. Gifts should always be Many Chinese, especially young students, are late January or early February. China National exchanged for celebrations, or thanks for eager to improve their spoken English. This Whats is the order of Chinese Day: First week of October. assistance. situation is ideal, as language exchange with names? a native speaker of Chinese is one of the best Avoid travelling during these periods. Whats the seat etiquette in ways to learn the language. What’s “mianzi”? The family name always comes first, and Chinese business culture? only family members or close friends use rst Mianzi, which means face in English, is a combination of dignity, pride and public Generally, the seat in the middle of the table, What should I know about names. reputation. Managing mianzi is an integral facing the door, is reserved for the guest business gift-giving? Can I bargain in China? par t of Chinese etiquette. It can be so of honor. The host sits directly to the left. Do I need a local guide during my Open air markets, privately run stores are Give a gift to the entire company, rather than important that Chinese may sweep aside Everyone else is seated in descending order of an individual, and present the gift to the tour? best for bargaining. Remember to establish business to keep it. status. leader of the Chinese negotiating team. A gift If you want to do lots of touristy or shopping, a friendly rapport first. You are creating a
39. 76 FAQ FOCUS ON CHINA / 04 / 2011 relationship with the merchant, not a price war. Basic Chinese Phrases How to open bank accounts in China? Opening a Chinese bank account is actually an easy process. The only actual needed document for a basic account is your passport. How to get drivers license renew? Conditions: 90 days before the drivers license expires. Drivers license has not been put in a suspended, canceled or revoked state. Required documentation: Drivers license application form. Applicant and, if applicable, authorized agents original identification document. Original health examination certificate issued by hospital of county level or above. Original drivers license (Applicants should provide a translated version if it is not in Chinese). Three 1-inch color photos with a white background. How to see a doctor in China? The Chinese medical system comprises mostly of public and private hospitals. Small and personalized clinics are still uncommon. If you’ve decided to see a doctor in a public hospital, register first. Treatments are mostly Western medical techniques including diagnosis, medication, injection or the necessary scans. Your doctor may give you a prescription for you to buy medicine in a drugstore, most of the time at the lobby of the out-patient section building. If possible have a Chinese person accompany you as the system can be confusing and often the hospitals are quite crowded.