2. When you take the GED, you will receive a prompt toanswer in an essay. The prompt will be about a generaltopic, and you will be asked to give an opinion or anexplanation of something. To do this, you will need to usedetails that come from your personal observations andexperiences.An example of a prompt:What is one important goal you would like to achieve inthe next few years?In your essay, identify that one goal and explain how you plan toachieve it. Use your personal observations, experience, and knowledgeto support your essay.
3. Another example of a prompt:Why is learning English important to you?In your essay, explain why learning English is important to you. Useyour personal observations, experience, and knowledge to supportyour essay.
4. The basic school essay is composed of 5 paragraphs: I. Introduction II. Body Paragraph 1 III.Body Paragraph 2 IV.Body Paragraph 3 V. Conclusion
5. 1.IntroductionThe introduction should:• grab the reader’s attention so he/she wants to read more.• provide necessary background information.• identify your main idea (answer the prompt).• preview what will come in your body paragraphs.You will identify your main idea and preview the bodyparagraphs in a thesis statement.A thesis statement summarizes the main idea of your essayand supplies a little information about your supportingpoints.
6. What is one important goal you would like to achieve in thenext few years?In your essay, identify that one goal and explain how you plan to achieveit. Use your personal observations, experience, and knowledge to supportyour essay.Let’s say your goal is to find a better job than the one youhave now. The prompt asks you how you plan to achieve it.Your plans to get a better job include: 1) finishing school, 2) preparing aresume, and 3) searching for jobs.Your thesis statement might be:It is my goal in the next few years to get a better job byfinishing school, preparing a resume, and searching for jobs. *OR*A major goal I would like to accomplish in the next few yearsis getting a better job. My plan to do this is to finish school,prepare a resume, and then search for jobs.
7. Your turn!!What is one important goal you would like to achieve inthe next few years?In your essay, identify that one goal and explain how youplan to achieve it. Use your personal observations,experience, and knowledge to support your essay.I. Write down one goal you have.II. Think about 3 things you can do to achieve it.1. ____________ 2. _____________ 3. ___________III. Now, put those together in a thesis statement. (1 or 2sentences)IV. The teacher will come by and check your work.
8. Back to the introduction:After you have a thesis statement, you can work on anintroduction.Remember, the thesis statement identifies your main ideaand previews what will come in your body paragraphs.You will put it at the END of the introduction.Before that, you need to:• grab the reader’s attention so he/she wants to read more.• provide necessary background information.Let’s look at an example of an introduction:
9. Making goals for myself The writer introduces the topic of the essay andand working toward them keeps provides a bit ofme on my toes and makes my life background informationinteresting. There are many goals to make the essay more interesting.that I would like to achievethroughout my life. I have begunworking toward many of them bylooking into going back to schooland thinking about what I’d liketo do for a career. One major goal The thesis statementI would like to accomplish in the starts here. We see one goal the writer wants tonext few years is getting a better accomplish and 3 waysjob. My plan to get a better job is in which he/she plans toto finish school, prepare a achieve it.resume, and then search for jobs."
10. Another Introduction Many people speak The writer introduces the topic of the essay andEnglish around the world, and it provides a bit ofis a universal language. People background informationwho were born in the United to make the essay more interesting.States are lucky, because theygrew up speaking English everyday. I wasn’t so lucky, but now Iam taking classes to improve myEnglish. Learning English is The thesis statement starts here. We see theimportant for me so that I can reasons why learningearn more money, help my family, English is important forand meet new people. the writer.
11. 2. Body Paragraph OneThe first body paragraph should discuss the first point inyour thesis statement.Let’s look at the last thesis statement again:Learning English is important for me so that I can earnmore money, help my family, and meet new people.In this case, Body Paragraph One should explain howlearning English will give the writer the possibility to earnmore money.
12. If I learn English, I can Transition to 1st point in thesis statementmake more money. Right now,my job is to clean homes andoffices. It’s a hard job, and Idon’t make much money. Butit’s hard for me to get anotherjob. My English still needs someimprovements, and when I go to This explains how learning English can helpinterviews, it’s hard for me to the writer make morespeak to the people. When they money.see that I don’t speak goodEnglish, they immediately thinkI can’t do the job. If I learnEnglish, I will be able to get abetter job and thus make moremoney.
13. 3. Body Paragraph TwoThe second body paragraph should discuss the second pointin your thesis statement.Thesis statement:Learning English is important for me so that I can earn moremoney, help my family, and meet new people.In this case, Body Paragraph Two should explain howlearning English will allow the writer to help his/her family.
14. Another reason learning English is Transition to 2nd pointimportant for me is so that I can help my in thesis statementfamily. My husband doesn’t speak English. Example of how it will help family and detailsIt’s my responsibility to speak when we go to Another example andrestaurants, stores, or the doctor. Also, I need detailsto understand letters and notices that arriveat our house. Sometimes they are veryimportant, and if I can’t understand them, wecan have some problems. I also need toknow English to help my daughter. She is in Another example andelementary school now, and I want to help detailsher with her homework when she hasproblems. Also, I need to speak to herteacher, and I want to volunteer at her school.If I can’t speak English, life in the USA ismuch more difficult for my family.
15. 4. Body Paragraph ThreeThe third body paragraph should discuss the third point inyour thesis statement.Thesis statement:Learning English is important for me so that I can earnmore money, help my family, and meet new people.In this case, Body Paragraph Three should explain howlearning English will help the writer meet new people.
16. Finally, I really want to learn more Transition to 3rd pointEnglish so that I can meet new people. I’m a in thesis statementsociable person, and I like to talk to Explanation ofeveryone. The problem is that right now I problemcan only speak to people that speak Spanish.I’m too shy when I must speak English. It isOK to speak to Spanish speakers, but I alsowant to talk to other people, especially DetailsAmericans. I think if I meet new people, itwill help me learn more about the culturehere and also learn more English. Forexample, my cousin has a friend fromGeorgia. They do lots of fun activitiestogether, and my cousin is learning a lotabout American culture and seems happierhere than he did before. I think meeting newpeople is important, but now I sometimesfeel isolated or lonely.
17. 5. ConclusionThe conclusion paragraph ties everything together fromyour essay and restates your thesis statement withdifferent words. When I lived in my country, I Connects to the restdidn’t understand how important English of the essaycould be. I only realized it when I came tothe United States. Learning English is a Restates the thesisnecessity for me now, and I hope that statement, usingwhen I speak English better, I will be able different wordsto make more money, assist my familymore, and make new friends.
18. Let’s compare the thesis statement with thestatement in the conclusion:Learning English is Learning English is aimportant for me so that I necessity for me now,can earn more money, help and I hope that when Imy family, and meet new speak English better, Ipeople. will be able to make more money, assist my family more, and make new friends. They say the same thing, but the words are slightly different. Don’t repeat the thesis statement 100%.