1. or 3rd generation mobile telecommunications is ageneration of standards for mobile phones and mobiletelecommunication services fulfilling the International MobileTelecommunications-2000 (IMT-2000) specifications bythe International Telecommunication Union.Application services include wide-area wirelessvoice telephone, mobile Internet access, video calls and mobileTV, all in a mobile environment.Recent 3G releases, often denoted 3.5G and 3.75G, alsoprovide mobile broadband access of severalMbit/s to smartphones and mobile modems in laptopcomputers.
2. The IMT-2000 third generation mobilestandard enables mobile users toharness the full power of the Internetthrough efficient high-speed radiotransmission, optimized for multimediacommunications.
3. Evolution towards 3G
4. High-speed data transmissions Symmetrical and asymmetrical datatransmission support Improved voice quality Greater capacity Multiple simultaneous services Global roaming across networks Improved security Service flexibility
5. • Wireless Internet• Audio on demand• Electronic postcards• Video conferencing• Secure mobile commerce transactions• Traffic and traveling information - locationspecific3G APPLICATIONS
6. 1. Rapid growth in text, WAP and other data traffic- up to 50% oftotal mobile traffic within 5 years2. Mobile & Internet penetration both growing rapidly3. Mobile penetration likely to exceed PCs & fixed4. Alliances forming between major mobile, IT and e-commerceplayers5. Mobile commerce and multimedia identified as key growthareas - but need bandwidth to deliver
7. 1. 3G mobile is a major opportunity forbusiness, commerce and consumers2.Brings together the two fastest growingmarket sectors3. Mobile and Internet Market, services andstandards evolving from 2G to 3G4. Significant opportunities for value addedcontent and service providers3GSUMMARY