THEY’RE JUST TOOLS…
Photo by Snapshot4665
Photo by Julia Manzerova
Photo by Bryan Costin
WHICH TOOL IS BEST FOR THE JOB?
Photo by sfllaw/Simon Law
• Put another way
– Who is your audience?
– What do you want to do?
– What do they want to do?
– How do you pair up these goals?
– What tools do you use?
Source – http://blogs.forrester.com/charleneli/2007/12/the-post-method.html
• Who is your audience?
• Who are your colleagues in this space?
• Who are your competitors in this space?
Photo by Auntie P
• What is your audience saying?
• To what extent do X,Y,Z tools resonate with
• What do they want?
• What is their capacity? Will they choose to pay
attention to you?
• What are others (competitors/colleagues)
– How are they doing it?
• Get a feel for the neighborhood
Photo by Nick J Adams
• How do the tools fit with your goals?
– These tools allow for interaction through
the content produced and consumed
• Possible success indicators
– how many people do you reach
– how many people follow you
– how many comments
– how many commenters
– total referrals
– referrals to a given post
– unique tags
– Messages rebroadcast
– Videos viewed
– Resources downloaded
MEASURE – HOW DO YOU DEFININE
Photo by Frédéric de Villamil
BUT WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR
Photo by W2 a-w-f-i-l
You (audience) Photo/video
WE > ME (FOR CONTENT, TIME,
Submitted by Damir
AND HELP PEOPLE KICK ASS
From Kathy Sierra’’s http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2005/06/kicking_ass_is_.html
See also http://blogs.technet.com/b2ix/archive/2007/01/23/games-and-the-flow-state-pertaining-to-agile-product-development.aspx
• Red Cross Social Media Strategy/Policy Handbook: An Excellent Model
• Social Media for nonprofits: Overview http://www.slideshare.net/guestf1e806/social-media-for-
• Social Media for Non-Profits
• How To Think Like A Nonprofit Social Media Genius http://www.slideshare.net/kanter/how-to-think-like-
• Guest Post by Rebecca Leaman: Social Media for Non-Profits: 26 Great Slideshare Presentations You Can
• Facebook for Business Superguide http://www.interactiveinsightsgroup.com/blog1/facebook-for-
• Social Media for Non Profits
• Nten http://nten.org/
• NetSquared http://www.netsquared.org/
• Nonprofit technology links http://del.icio.us/tag/nptech
• Common Craft http://commoncraft.com/
• Full Circle Associates http://www.fullcirc.com/
• Beth's Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media http://beth.typepad.com/
• Eric Pee
• ganessas / Maria
• Kalense Kid / Martin Sharman
• draggin / jason toal
• notmyown2k3 / Kevin Smith
ADDITIONAL IMAGE CREDITS