Mr. AZIM PREMJITHE INDIAN ENTRPRENUER BEHIND THECONGLOMERATE • Ajay Singh IIT Delhi
• The Enterpreneur 1/ 2Born 24 july 1945Residence Banglore , IndiaNationality IndianEthnicity KutchiEducation Stanford UniversityOccupation Chairman of WiproNet Worth US $ 15.9 billion Azim Hashim Premji
2/2 Transformed from vegetable oil company to leading IT services. An Indian business tycoon and philanthropist. Richest person in the country From 1999 to 2005 (Forbes) . Third richest Indian (currently) . Left out his engineering in CS in 1966 and completed in 1999 in EE .
• Personality traits • Value-oriented person. • Down-to-earth personality. • High on action. • Believes in professionalism. • Prefers solitude to the spotlight • Always believes in work.
• Early life • Initial education St. Marys School, Mumbai •Left Engineering from Stanford University, California (because of sudden death of his father ) •Took family business of hydrogenated cooking fats & diversified .
• As a business personality his journey towards success • He had took over the reign of his family run business at the young age of 21 in 1986. • The biggest hurdle was to win the confidence of the shareholders. • Diversification of family run business into a large empire. • From vegetables oil business to one of the largest IT service provider and software behemoth “Wipro” .
• The Journey of Wipro 1/5 • Initially Amalner-based “ vanaspathi manufacturing ” company • The Company began manufacturing light bulbs with General Electric • consumer products including soaps, baby care products, shampoos, powder etc. • In 1975, Wipro Fluid Power business unit manufacturing hydraulic cylinders and truck tippers was started.
2/5THE TURN1980s Wipro entered the IT field, taking advantage of theexpulsion of IBM from the Indian market in 1975 . Thus,Wipro became involved in manufacturing computerhardware, software development and related items, undera special license from Sentinel.NOWWipro has grown up as India’s biggest and most competitiveIT company based in Bangalore.
vanaspathi 3/5manufacturing company Wipro Products Ltd Wipro Technologies IT Sector Wipro corporation
Products/services 4/5 Socials vanaspathi (Education) manufacturing 6 1manufacturing light bulbscomputer with Generalhardware, 5 2 Electricsoftware productsdevelopment andrelated items. 4 3 Wipro Fluid other consumer Power products like soaps, business unit baby care products, shampoos, powder etc
5/5• A large percentage of the company’s revenues are generated by the IT division.• Wipro works with leading global companies, such as Alcatel, Nokia, Cisco and Nortel and has a joint venture in Medical Systems with General Electric company.• Net earning of wipro is US$ 15.9billion (2012).
Premji’ 1/ 2 Premji’s s Secret story Of of succes success sPremji is an absolute workaholic and according to him workis the only way to success and survival in a competitiveenvironment. Premji strongly believes that ordinary peopleare capable of extraordinary things and that the key to this iscreating highly charged teams. And some other points of his
2/2Secret of his success are :• determination and perseverance, when coupled With knowledge• clear vision and proper planning• enable one to reach the peak of success and leadership.• looking forward for applying thoughts .
• Style of Entrepreneurship 1/ 2 Leadership about ‘enabling others’ and applied to all walks from family to corporation Built Wipro as a ‘family owned’ company Grow outside’ approach where senior executives quit to become Entrepreneurs Never believed in the media & never accessible for media personnel Strong value system for making success more
2/ 2Entrepreneurial qualities commitment and determination leadership opportunity obsession tolerance of risk creativity ability to use failure experience as a way of learning self-reliance and ability to adapt motivation to excel.
• Honours and awards 1/ 4 • Richest person in the country from 1999 to 2005 by Forbes. • Asia week magazine voted him among the 20 most powerful men in the world in 2000. • Business man of the year 2000 by Business India. • In 2000, Honorary Fellowship by Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers. • member of the Prime Minister’s Advisory Committee for Information Technology in India.
2/4• Featured among the 100 most influential people in the world by Times magazine in 2004.• Awarded Padma Bhushan in 2005 by Govt. of India.• In 2006, “ Lakshya Business Visionary ” by National Institute of Industrial Engineering, Mumbai.• Member of the Prime minister’s Advisory committee for information-technology in India.• "Global Vision" award by US-India Business Council .
3/4• In 2007, Featured in the business week all-time top 30 entrepreneurs of the world.• Conferred ‘Doctorate ’ by Wesleyan University USA , IIT Roorkee, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Aligarh University and Visveswaraya Technological University..• Awarded Padma Vibhushan by the Indian Gov. in 2011.• non-executive Director on the Board of the RBI .
4/4Other Honours• The "Legion of Honour" in 2011 by the Republic of France .• first Indian recipient of the Faraday Medal (In 2005).• XLRI, Jamshedpur has conferred the Sir Jehangir Ghandy Medal for Industrial and Social Peace.• Membership of the Indo-UK and the Indo-France CEOs forum.• His Foundation was recognized as the Corporate Citizen of the year by the Economic Times.
• Impact of entrepreneurial - thoughts The journal Foreign Policy listed him as one of the “ top global thinkers” in November 2011 . Forbes (March 2003) listed him as one of ten people globally , who have the most "power to effect change". Business Week (October 2003) featured him on their cover with the sobri sobriquet "Indias Tech King" . Financial Times listed him in the global 25 people who are "dramatically reshaping the way people live, work or think"
1/• Premji As a philanthropist 2 • In 2001, Premji established the Azim Premji Foundation, a not-for-profit organization with a Vision of significantly contributing to quality primary education for every child. • The Foundation has reached out to over 2.5 million children in more than 20,000 schools across India. • 2006, the Foundation was recognized as ‘the Corporate Citizen of the year’ by the Economic Times.
2/ 2• Established University and multiple field level institution to improve education and research.• In December 2010, Premji pledged to donate $2 billion for improving school education in India through his foundation.• Azim Premji also established the Wipro Equity Reward Trust to all wiproite.
• Premji’s view : message for us “ If people are not laughing at your goals, yours goals are too small” .“We have an absolutely unique opportunity today but it comes with the Set of challenges. The first big challenge comprises ecological sustainability And tackling climate change. The second is that of reducing poverty and inequality In the world ”.
It was a real pleasure to understand the person and the contribution that he has made for India