one rupee be entitled to inspect any such account and on payment of such fee as
may be fixed by the Election Commission in his behalf be entitled to obtain
attested copies of such account or of any part thereof’.
14. Under s.78 of the Representation of People Act, ‘Every contesting candidate at
an election shall, within thirty days from the date of election of the returned
candidate or, if there are more than one returned candidate at the election and
the dates of their election are different, the later of those two dates, lodge with
the district election officer an account of his election expenses which shall be a
true copy of the account kept by him or by his election agent under section 77’.
15. Hindustan Times, 1 May 2008; [http://www.hindustantimes.com/storypage/
16. See the original paper I circulated at [http://www.indiapolicy.sabhlokcity.
17. See [http://www.aec.gov.au/Parties_and_Representatives/Political_Disclosures/
Current_Funding_Rate.htm] and [http://theage.com.au/articles/2004/11/02/
18. It is assumed as before that Mr Harishchandra expects to poll one vote more
than one-sixth of the votes polled, and therefore will not forfeit the security
1. Speech in Chicago, Illinois, 29 September 1952.
2. In his 2003 oration – see Jha, Raghbendra, ed, The First Ten K R Narayanan
Orations: Essays by Eminent Persons on the Rapidly Transforming Indian Economy, ANU
E Press, The Australian National University, 2006. Available for downloading
5. John Halligan (University of Canberra) in ‘The Australian Civil Service System’, a
paper prepared for presentation at Civil Service Systems in Comparative
Perspective, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, 5–8
April 1997. See [http://www.