1. Life in the Deserts What is a desert ?Desert -: It is an aridregion characteriesed byextremely high or lowtemperatures and hasscarce of vegetation
2. Types of desertThere are 2 types of desert :- ********** 1) HOT DESERT 2) COLD DESERT
3. Hot desert - Sahara
4. The Sahara desert lies in North Africa. It isthe world’s largest desert with an area of8.54 million sq. km . It touches 11 countries– Chad, Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Mali,Mauritania, Morocco, Niger ,Sudan, Tunisia &Western Sahara
5. ClimateThe climate of Sahara desert is scorching hotand parch dry. It has a short rainy season. Thesky is cloudless & clear. Days are hot & thetemperature may soar as high as 50 degreesCelsius.Heating up the sand & the bare rocks , whichin turn radiates heat making everythingaround hot. The night may be freezing coldwith temperatures nearing zero degrees.
6. Flora & FaunaVegetation in the Sahara desertincludes cactus, date palms &acacia. In some places there areOASIS, green islands with datepalms surrounding them. Camels,hyenas, foxes, scorpions and alsomany varieties of snakes & lizardsare prominent animal species livingthere.
7. PeopleThe people here are mainly tribes such asthe Bedouins and tauregs who rearlivestock such as goat, sheep, camels&horses. These animals provide them withmilk, hides from which they make leatherfor belts, slippers, water bottles; hair isused for mats, carpets, clothes & blankets.They grow crops like rice, wheat, barley &beans. They wear heavy robes as protectionagainst dust storms & hot winds.
8. Locationof Sahara desert
12. This Power point presentation is by – Karan Kamath