Difference between selling and
1. Emphasis on product Emphasis on consumer needs and
2. Company manufactures the product Company first determines customers
first and then decides to sell it need and wants and then decide on
how to deliver a product to satisfy these
3.Mgt. is Sales-volume oriented Mgt. is profit oriented
4. Planning is short term oriented Planning is long term oriented in terms
In terms of today ‘s product and mkt of tomorrow's market and future
5. Stresses needs of a seller Stresses needs and wants of buyers
6. Views business as a goods producing Views business as a consumer satisfying
7. Emphasis on staying with existing Emphasis on innovation in every sphere
technology and reducing cost on better value to the customer by
adopting a superior technology
8. Cost determines price Consumers determine price , price
The basic function and role of selling
Generate sales Earn revenue
S.Mgt is more strategic and of long term as it involves
Controlling of all the selling activities of organization
Selling approach highlights:-
Maintaining good customer relationship
Managing the profitability of a firm
Managing customer complaints
Building brand value in the eyes of the customer
Mgt. of sales force demands attention towards the
emerging roles and functions of the sales person in the
context of an evolving environment
The job of a sales manager is not only to organize sales
but also to carry out management functions such as
guiding and leading a set of people to achieve sales
As the level of hierarchy increases more and more
management functions get added on to the primary
job of selling.
Sales managers at higher levels are responsible for
strategic decisions .
Strategic decisions such as
Organizing the sales force
Determining the sales force compensation structure
Forecasting long term sales
Over all controlling of sales organization
The role of sales manager in an organization has
become strategic. He is looked at as combination of
Duties and responsibilities of Sales Manager
Determining sales force objectives and goals
Finalizing sales force organization, size, territory, and
Forecasting and budgeting sales
Selecting, recruiting and training the sales force
Motivating and leading the sales force
Designing compensation plan and control systems
Designing career growth plans and building
relationship strategies with key customers.
The job of a sales manager is not only to organize sales but also
to carry out management function. The function of SM can be
classified into 2 parts
•More strategic & long term
•Satisfying the buyer’s current
and latent needs.
•Involves planning, organizing,
•Establish and build a
directing & controlling all
profitable & symbiotic
relationship with customer
Personal Selling can be defined as the process of person
to person communication between a salesperson and a
prospective customer in which the former learns about
the latter’s needs and seeks to satisfy those needs by
offering the prospective customer the opportunity to
buy something of value, such as goods or a service.
Characteristics of Personal Selling
It is flexible
It builds relationships
It allows more efficient communication
It can be expensive
It is a form of dyadic communication
Dyadic communication means direct or one on one
communication between two people. This offers the
salesperson an advantage over other form of marketing
It allows for tailoring of the message
Lack of distraction
Personal selling Some important aspects
1. It enhances customer’s confidence in the seller.
2. It promotes long-term business relations through
3. It provides a human touch to business transactions.
4. It helps facilitate the seller to understand each
customer’s need and preferences more clearly.
5. It helps satisfy a customer by modifying the product as
per the customer’s choice and preference.
6. Helps build long term relations between the business
and the customer.
7. It helps keep up with the competition in the market,
based on product customization as per customer’s
8. It is a powerful and effective tool in convincing the
customer about the product
9. Time lag between introducing a product through the
media and actual selling is reduced.
10. It provides prospective customer with a better
understanding of the product and an interactive
opportunity to liaise with the sales personnel.
Setting Personal Selling Objectives
S.Mgt. determines personal selling role in the
promotional program. The marketing planning group
sets personal selling objectives determines
Sales related Marketing Polices
Formulates personal selling strategies
Finalize the sales budget
The combined impact of these decisions constitutes the framework within
which the sales force is managed
Types of personal selling objectives
Depending upon company objectives and the promotion
mix, personal selling may be assigned such qualitative
objectives such as:-
1. To do the entire selling job
2. To “Service” existing accounts
3. To search out and obtain new customers
4. To secure and maintain customer’s cooperation in
stocking and promoting the product line.
5. To keep customers informed on changes in the
product line and other aspects of mkting strategy.
6. To assist customers in selling the product line.
7. To provide technical advice and assistance to
8. To assist with the training of middlemen’s sales
9. To provide advice and assistance to middlemen on
10. To collect and report market information of interest
and use to company mgt.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.