Plan 2040 april may online public meetingPresentation Transcript
PLAN 2040 Online Public
Meeting: Vision and Goals
April 1, 2010 – May 31, 2010
We will be thinking about this part of the metro Atlanta area
during this meeting.
Gray areas are
for air quality
PLAN 2040 is organized around the following Sustainability
nomy and social
needs are inter-
2040 will address
all three areas
and how they Social Economic
Where are we starting from?
• ARC took a look at the
Regional current state of the
Atlanta region –
Changing focusing on its needs as
well as getting diverse
Water individual opinions.
• These findings lay a
Traffic groundwork for policy
On the bright side…
Our assessment focuses on the needs of the
Atlanta region. However, our region has
many assets working in its favor:
• Headquarters of Fortune 500 companies,
like Coca-Cola, UPS, Delta Airlines and
• The world’s busiest airport and the
intersections of major interstates for the
distribution of goods.
• Superior colleges and universities, like
Georgia Tech, Morehouse, Emory and
• Cultural and entertainment facilities
unmatched in the Southeast.
Here are the 9 major findings:
1. The region is well-positioned for an
economic recovery, but only if
we’re willing to adjust how we live
and do business.
2. The long-term economic success of the region is directly tied
to the availability of water.
3. The region needs significant transportation investments and
increased housing availability in major employment centers.
Findings 4, 5, and 6….
4. The region does not have the financial capacity to expand
further if it expects to meet the needs of its people and
5. The composition of the region’s 8 million residents in 2040
will be very different from the population of today.
6. The new housing market will shift
toward communities that offer
abundant amenities close to
employment and cultural opportunities.
Findings 7, 8, and 9
7. Approximately 75 percent of the
region’s residents have no other
option but to drive to almost any
8. Not only does the region need increased funds for
transportation, but also better management of existing
9. The region must focus on both urbanized areas and
Some reactions we’ve heard to our findings
• Transportation is a key reason why the region is
lagging in some areas.
• Recovery will require new investments and new
• Many dynamic regional issues (water, transportation,
education) must be addressed locally.
• Why are we falling behind our peers in terms of
So where do we go from here?
Plan 2040 links all
these issues and can
include solutions for
If we are to begin
the short term (1-5 addressing these
years) or the long challenges, we need
term (to 2040). a vision and goals to
DRAFT PLAN 2040 Vision
Here’s where you come in… Statement
Please take a look at this • Aggressive Leadership for
draft Vision Statement Sustainable Growth.
• Balance environmental
Is it relevant to the future responsibility, economic
you want for your growth and social needs
community? while maximizing
benefits to all.
What would YOU change – is anything left out?
There is a survey after this presentation where you can
voice your thoughts.
To realize a Vision, Goals need to be attached
See what you think about these
proposed overall Goals.
• Goal #1: Lead as the Global Gateway to the South
(Addressing the economy)
• Goal #2: Encourage Healthy Communities
(Addressing the environment)
• Goal #3: Expand Access to Community Resources
(Addressing social needs)
Are these Goals addressing the Sustainability
principle that we addressed earlier in this meeting?
Please record your thoughts on our
So what can you do next?
1. Check out the other resource material we have available on
the PLAN 2040 website.
2. Record your thoughts on our survey.
3. If you have a question, email or call us –
firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-463-3272.
4. This public meeting will wrap up May 31, 2010. Please
review a report of what you told us that will be posted online
in early June.
5. Online public meeting #2 will begin on June 1, 2010. We
hope you’ll come back to participate again.
What happens next in PLAN 2040?
Results from this
meeting and others will
be fed into the process.
Over this year, the
process will address:
1. strategies for the region
2. testing the strategies
3. reviewing the draft plan