CAHSEE Essay Musts By Mrs. Milis
- You must have a unique properly capitalized title (preferably with a colon)
- Centered at the top of the page.
- Cell Phones: Can’t Live With Them, Can’t Live Without Them
- --a hook that catches the readers attention and leads them into the topic
- --a thesis statement at the end of the paragraph
- The essay needs 5 paragraphs, but can survive with 4.
- 5 paragraphs serves as a guarantee.
- Each paragraph should contain enough detail and elaboration to meet the 7-11 sentence goal.
- 3 sentences or less will definitely not qualify you as a proficient writer.
How to write a 7 sentence paragraph!
- Sentences supporting topic sentence--examples, details, explanations, evidence. (5)
- Concluding sentence!!! (1)
- Begin each body paragraph with a transition word.
- Begin your conclusion paragraph with one of the following transitions:
- Ultimately, To conclude In short, Overall,
- Use a comma after transition words!
- ALL sentences must be complete
- Try to use (only) one semi-colon and one dash
- Maintain sentence variety
- Proofread essay at least 5 times!!!
- ADDRESS ALL ELEMENTS OF THE WRITING PROMPT.
- USE THE PROMPT IN YOUR THESIS TO ENSURE THIS HAPPENS