• The deep Web (also called Deepnet, the invisible
Web, dark Web or the hidden Web) refers to
World Wide Web content that is not part of the
surface Web, which is indexed by standard search
• The deep Web is about 500 times bigger than the
• It was estimated that the deep Web contained
approximately 7,500 terabytes of data and 550
billion individual documents.
Deep Web Contd.
• Surface search results are based on “relevancy
by popularity”, ranked by total “hits” by
users’ simple search queries.
• While search engines can “find” deep data,
their coverage is often random and intermixed
with less relevant (and too much) content.
• To find exactly the content needed, a user
must traverse through “all” content within
each surface site (Google, MSN, etc.)
Federated search is the simultaneous search of
multiple online databases or web resources and
is an emerging feature of automated, web-based
library and information retrieval systems. It is also
often referred to as a portal or a federated search
Deep Web Collections
• Use this link to search for other invisible web
• US government databases
• webLens- Academic resources (this site use
university or academic information as its resources)
• Turbo10: On Turbo10, you'll be able to search more than 800
deep web search engines at a time.
• Business Research: This deep web search scours the business
• Pipl: Pipl brings together profiles, public records, and documents
to serve up relevant information about people.
• GPOAccess: If you're looking for US government information, tap
into this tool that searches multiple databases at a time.
• Free Lunch: Through this database, you can get economic data for
• Tap into these databases to access government
information, business data, demographics, and
• GPOAccess: If you're looking for US government
information, tap into this tool that searches
multiple databases at a time.
• MedNets: This database makes medical
information easily accessible for healthcare
• The Labyrinth: This database from Georgetown
offers resources relating to medieval studies.
No. Google Shortcut Finds Pages That Have…
1. how now * cow the words how now cow separated by one or
2. #...#(search within a number range) nokia phone $200…$300
3. safesearch: (exclude adult content) safesearch:breast cancer
4. related: (related pages) related:www.websearch.about.com
5. book(search book text) book The Lord of the Rings
6. phonebook:(find a phone number) phonebook:Google CA
7. bphonebook: (find business phone bphonebook:Intel OR
8. rphonebook:(find residential phone rphonebook:Joe Smith Seattle WA
9. stocks:(get a stock quote) stocks:ncesa
Google Phone Number Search
• first name (or first initial), last name, city (state is optional)
• first name (or first initial), last name, state
• first name (or first initial), last name, area code
• first name (or first initial), last name, zip code
• phone number, including area code
Free People Search with Phone
Awarded Pc Magazine's Best of the Internet 2004;
allows you to search for businesses, people,
phone numbers, email addresses, and lots more.
• http://peoplesearch.lycos.com/ -
Search not only the white and yellow pages, but
for professional profiles and alumni emails as
99 Resources to Research & Mine the Invisible Web
100 Useful Tips and Tools to Research the Deep
Interesting Videos on Deep Web
For More Information Contact:
INFOSERVE PVT LTD.
1ST FLOOR, 26 VAJIRA ROAD,