1. Chapter 1Getting Started:Writing and Your Career
2. Writing—An Essential Job SkillWriting is a part of every job: It keeps business moving. It allows individuals working for a company tocommunicate with one another and with thecustomers and clients they must serve.
3. Most people need at least 1 hour to write a businessletter.“The cost of a cover letter…might be as much of athird of a million dollars…” (qtd. Kolin 1).Writing Takes Time and Money
4. Using International English Here are some guidelines to help you write internationalEnglish:1. Use clear, easy-to-understand sentences.2.Avoid jargon, idioms, and unfamiliar abbreviations.3.Choose clear, commonly used words.4.Select visuals and icons that are free from cultural bias.5.When in doubt, consult someone from the nativespeaker’s country.
5. Four Keys to Effective Writing Identify your audience Who will read what I write? Establish your purpose Why should they read what I write? Formulate your message What do I have to say to them? Select your style and tone How can I best communicate?Read about the 4Keys in your text!pages 5-12
6. Read CASE STUDY: A DESCRIPTION OF HEPARIN FORTWO DIFFERENT AUDIENCES.Notice how the two descriptions of the same drug vary.Case Study
7. Characteristics ofJob-Related Writing Job-related writing serves six basic functions:1. Providing practical information2.Giving facts, rather than impressions3.Supplying visuals to clarify and condense information4.Giving accurate measurements5.Stating responsibilities precisely6.Persuading and offering recommendationsFor completedescriptions, seepages 14-18.
8. Know your job.Analyze your audience’s needs and expectations.Write clearly and appropriately for your internationalreaders.Respect cultural diversity.Make your written work accurate, relevant and practical.Document everything!Keep your computer safe from viruses.Be prepared to give and receive feedback.Be ethical!Successful Employees areSuccessful WritersFor completedescriptions,see pages 26-27.
9. Before submitting work, go over the REVISIONCHECKLIST on page 27 in your text.PS: It doesn’t hurt to have a copy of this for yourself.Revision Checklist