On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Getting Started with FirefoxPresentation Transcript
Mozilla Campus Rep
What is Firefox?
• Firefox is a free, open-source, cross
platform and graphical web browser for
Windows, Linux and Mac OS X
developed by the Mozilla Corporation.
• Firefox has features like Pop-up blocking,
tabbed browsing, multiple search engine
support, and built-in RSS support.
• Similar to Internet Explorer, but so
Who made Firefox?
The Mozilla Corporation made the
Mozilla is a global, open source project
a mission-oriented organization
a public beneﬁt company and
40% of code comes from non-employees
20,000+ testing volunteers
over 300 million users
Where can I get Firefox?
• You can download the latest version of
Firefox from the Official Mozilla
• To get previous versions of Mozilla
Firefox simply go to,
Why switch from Internet Explorer?
(for IE users)
Well, Top 5 reasons to switch
Let's have a look at these!
Speed: going from IE to Firefox is like trading
in your minivan for a sports car.
Safety: It's open-source security process means
it address threats faster to keep you safe online.
Easy to Use: Firefox's cutting-edge features
are so intuitive you won't know how you
lived without them.
Customization: It offer literally thousands of
ways for you to adapt Firefox to meet your
unique browsing needs.
Free: They say the best things in life are free,
and Firefox is totally, 100% free of charge.
How can I Import preferences from my
To import your bookmarks, settings, and preferences
from your previous browser. First click on the File Menu
and then click on Import. Now you will be prompted to
select which browser you would like to import your
information from. After selecting the browser, click on
the Next button. The default option in importing is to
import all internet options like Cookies, Browsing
History, Saved Form History, Saved Passwords and
Favorites(i.e. bookmarks). After clicking the Next button,
Firefox will soon tell you that it’s finished.
Parts of Firefox
New Tab Location Toolbar
This Firfox Homepage
How did Firefox become?
• Firefox has developed considerably since its
first release as Phoenix on September 23,
• Pre-1.0 releases suffered many issues with
extensions, as the code for handling them
changed from version to version.
• Throughout its development, Firefox versions
have had internal codenames.
• PC Magazine named it best browser.
Statistics About Firefox?
• With over 25 million downloads in the 99 days
after the initial 1.0 release, Firefox became one of
the most downloaded free and open source
applications, especially among home users.
• On October 19, 2005, Firefox had its 100
millionth download, just 344 days after the
release of version 1.0. Firefox 1.5 was released
with more than 2 million downloads within the
first 36 hours.
• On June 18, 2008, 8,002,530 people
downloaded Firefox 3 in only 24 hours!
• Worldwide market share hovering near 30%
What are add-ons?
Small programs to create your own
unique browsing experience. By using
these add-ons, browsing can be made
faster, more efficient and more enjoyable.
More Than 2,039,501,348
• Weave: synchronizing user proﬁles across several
Firefox instances (including mobile)
• AdBlock+: blocks advertising.
• Flashblock: blocks Flash applets.
• CustomizeGoogle: adds features to Gmail,
remove redirects from search results.
• MassPasswordReset: makes it easier to change
your corporate password.
• BetterPrivacy: removes ad-related tracking
• ThiTan: Shortcut to create a wiki link and puts it
into the clipboard.
Why Firefox succeed?
• For the users.
• By the users.
• Of the users.
How you can contribute?
• By reporting bugs on bugzilla.mozilla.org.
• You can join spreadfirefox.com which is
home of Firefox community Marketing to
promote more and more Firefox to the
• You can be a Mozilla Campus Rep like me
and help Firefox to grow in your Campus.