No LinkedIn profile? No problem.If you do not have a LinkedIn profile it only takes a little time to create one. There is nocost to create a basic account. And we went through the exercise of creating one withyour colleague Martin Couture (NBAD – Quebec) on Thursday, May 3, 2012.Go to LinkedIn by entering https://www.linkedin.comNote : Always use https:// when accessing Linkedin on your desktop, laptop, iPadand/or mobile device as it is more secure – which is critical when working for afinancial institution.Complete the fields on the Join LinkedIn Today. This link on the LinkedIn LearningCenter for new user is also helpful : http://learn.linkedin.com/new-users/1. Once you enter your name please enter you industry of preference from the drop-downbox.
2. Enter your current title/position at National Bank and when you start typing where youwork a drop down list of options will appear. Please select the correct company name(i.e. National Bank of Canada)3. Enter your current title/position at National Bank
4. Enter the month and year you started your current position.5. Enter other positions you previously held with the correct position title and companyname selected from the drop-down list.
6. Enter the start and end dates (month and year) for your previous positions.7. Select the correct company name from the drop down list. This is important versustyping in the name yourself. If the company name does not appear in the drop down listthen please enter it yourself.
8. Enter the start and end dates with your previous positions.9. Enter your educational accomplishments (Masters, Undergraduate) at a College orUniversity level. Unless you went to a private elite high school (UCC, LCC, Eton) that isknown internationally and has an alumni network – leave that out of your profile.
10. Enter the official degree/diploma that you received and the major if applicable11. Enter when you started and completed your education at that institution.
12. Enter other educational institutions where you studied (where applicable)13. Enter the degree/diploma from those insitutions.
14. Enter the years of start and completion. (Always be honest and accurate in the datesthat you provide.)15. Take a look at how your competitors have created their profiles. Do some researchand leverage their best ideas and concepts. Click on the Company tab at the top of thepage and search accordingly.
16. Enter your skills/expertise in terms of keywords that relate to your industry and whatyour target clients would type if looking for you. You can enter up to 50 of them.
17. Enter the languages that you speak. You can edit this module to specific your degreeof proficiency.18. Always keep an eye on the completion bar for your profile as you should strive for100%. Anything less is unacceptable and impacts your ability to be found by clients onLinkedIn and through search engine such as Google.
19. Go into your settings (click on your name at the top right of the page) and ensure youhave made your profile fully accessible via the search engines. Why? Because thismakes it easier for potential clients to find you. This means more money.20. Click on ‘Profile’ at the top of the page and select ‘Edit Profile’. Select how youwish to be contacted and your contact preferences. It’s a good idea to deselect some.
21. Deselecting ones like « Career Opportunities » and « Job Inquiries » unless yourfunction involves a high degree of Human Resources and/or Staffing work.22. Click on edit profile and select three websites to link to your profiles but use the« Other » option in the drop-down menu. DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT OPTIONSFOR COMPANY WEBSITE or BLOG. Then enter the actual name for that websiteand correct link. Therefore : Other – National Bank of Canada - http://www.nbc.ca/
23. Enter your interests (leave out any content related to sex, religion, politics) and othergroups/associations and relevant awards that interest your target audience.24. Once your profile is complete and you have added a professional photo (such as theone from the Halifax Conference) – you can start adding connections.
25. Send personalized invites (do not send default ones) to your connections in yournetwork. NOTE : The LinkedIn app for iPhone and iPad does NOT allow you topersonalize invites to connections and only sends the default invite.26. You will also be prompted to connect with others in your network. Do not clickconnect as it will send the default invite. Click on their name and then click on theconnect tab in their profile so you can send a personalized invitation.Created : May 9, 2012 (S.Ahmed, M. Couture, F. Robert)