View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
1. Create a web presence with mission, services, and current resources, such as DMP Tool (need to
customize interface for VCU), GIS, current data sets, e.g. Social Science Electronic Data Library, open
data sets, e.g. HealthData.gov, data repositories outside VCU.
2. Develop open classes and curriculum-based instruction on DMP Tool for RDM plans necessary for
grants, RDM basics for novice researchers, finding data from open repositories, maybe even an elective
on good research practices.
3. Survey other groups on campus who are interested in or working with data and data management.
4. Develop a database of VCU data resources. This can be added to the VIVO database with eagle-i.
5. Conduct data interviews with groups and individual researchers. Start with heavy data users identified
in initial survey.
6. Analyze the collected data and work with stakeholders to develop policies and services for VCU.
– Is there a need for a data repository at VCU?
– What are the best practices that have been developed at other institutions?
7. Develop programs within VCU and with other institutions to educate librarians and other staff about
data and the research enterprise.
8. Set up an Assessment Plan for services, resources, and educational efforts.
• All of these will be done in collaboration with any interested liaisons, librarians, departments, or other
• My goal will be to create a flexible infrastructure that can adapt to the future needs of the research
enterprise at VCU.
1. Developing a framework for knowledge-based research data services for the
lifespan of research data to the VCU community.
2. Serving as a consultant to researchers on research data issues, providing access
to research data, and working with digital research tools such as DMPTool to
manage, curate and archive research data.
3. Leading the ongoing assessment of researcher data support needs across VCU in
collaboration with the Center for Clinical and Translational Research, the VCU
Office of Research, and VCU Libraries colleagues.
4. Identifying new data management tools and initiatives; maintaining and
promoting existing tools to the VCU research community.
5. Monitoring trends in e-research and data stewardship to inform the design of
innovative services and knowledge creation tools.
6. Representing the library and participating in forging an infrastructure to support
7. Training subject liaison librarians in the use of emerging technologies and best
practices for research services to engage research faculty and students across
the Monroe Park and MCV Campuses.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aliarda/13233151775/ photo by Ali Eminov
1. Experience in Change Management
2. A Strong Set of Campus Relationships
3. A Physical Presence
Library and information professionals:
• need to become more involved with semantic
web or users will reinvent wheel (i.e. ontologies)
• have the interpersonal and subject specialization
for reference/consultation that IT doesn't have
• continue to help users find the information they
Stuart, David.(2011) Facilitating Access to the Web of Data: a Guide for Librarians. Facet
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdsdigital/4537692451/ "Mars Mission" by GDS Infographics
Impact on Library Missions
“I don’t see it impacting our fundamental
mission at all. Our job is to advance discovery
and support our faculty and their work, and
insure student success…”
John Ulmschneider, University Librarian
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-116/html/iss014e09635.html Astronauts Joan E.
Higginbotham (foreground), STS-116 mission specialist, and Sunita L. Williams, Expedition 14 flight engineer,
National Archives http://research.archives.gov/description/285702
Data Education Sites
• DataONE http://www.dataone.org/best-practices
• MANTRA http://datalib.edina.ac.uk/mantra/
• New England Collaborative Data Management
• RDMRose http://rdmrose.group.shef.ac.uk/
• UK Data Archive http://www.data-archive.ac.uk/home
"My Log Cabin 1985" by anoldent http://www.flickr.com/photos/anoldent/576399961/