Dislike:Rebuild social networkNo easy way to transfer information CirclesNon-intuitiveAsymmetric sharing RepostingHome screen post sizeGoogle+ AppNo hangouts
1. From To Alexandria McAuliffe, Alex Wagenheim, Ashwin Bijani, Shweta Nagpal, Yuval A. Harel
2. Background• Launched on June 28, 2011• First 16 days – 10 million users• Estimated current users – 170-million• Purpose – Personalize Google search using G+ data – Solution to Facebook’s privacy concerns• Failed social networking projects by google – Orkut, Buzz, Google Wave
3. What’s in G+?• Features: – Home – Photos – Hangouts • Video chat • Messaging – Games – Explore • What is hot? – Circles • Share different things with different people
4. What’s in G+?
5. - Hit or a Miss? NOT Vs.
6. What is the issue?Problem Statement: Increase the amount of time that users are actively using Google+ January 2012 average view time 3.3 mins. 7.5 Hrs. Where is the added Benefit?
7. Why not spending time on G+?• Rebuild Social Network CIRCLES• No easy integration • Non-intuitive • Asymmetric sharing • Reposting Home screen post size Mobile App • No Hangout feature • No tablet App
8. How did we find these issues?Interviews & Observations“I would change the way the circles interface works. It is agreat concept in theory but is so confusing to navigate. WhenI click to go to the circles section, it shows 124 people in mycircles yet I didn’t add the strong majority of them. Or maybeI did unintentionally?? Which would be a sign of a terribleuser interface!” Honestly, Id want it connected to twitter and Facebook in some way. The idea that Id have to rebuild the networks I have on those sites in order to get the most out of Google+ is a bit tiring.
9. Any Publicity Is Good Publicity?
10. Solution• Primarily aggregator of information – The Huffington Post business model • Pulitzer Prize – April 16 2012• Aggregate – Eliminate Circles • Social • Professional• Simplify User Interface • Home • Games • Photos • Explore • Hangouts • Circles• Improve App
11. Aggregate• Auto Login• Share Directly – All Social or Professional • Selection with in groups
12. Simplify User Interface
13. Mobile & Tablet App• Add Google maps – Check-in to their favorite places – Post pictures – Comment on posts• Smaller Icons Tablet app All Google+ website features available
14. Execution Contacts at other Networks User Interface ExpertsDevelopmentTeam Leverage Google Products Robust Flagship •Shareholders •Employees
15. Execution• Google+ development team• Contacts at other networks – Facebook – LinkedIn – Twitter• Leverage – Search engine – Google maps• User interface experts – Maintain Intuitive interface• Robust Flagship – Shareholders – Employees• Risk – Networks will not join the Google+ effort