1. How to Enhance Creativity inKids through Reading(4 - 6yrs old)By Ashoo ModgilMasters in English Studies (NUS, Singapore)Masters in English LiteratureTESOL Certificate (RELC, Singapore)Certificate in Accessing Personal Genius (Australia)Accredited Self Development Consultant (Australia)
2. Read Read and Readmake a point to read with your kids daily or atregular intervalschoose age appropriate bookschoose the themes your child likes the bestinvole your child in choosing the books
3. How do I read to my Child-Before ReadingDiscuss the title and picture at the front page of thebookAsk questions related to the people and things andwhat actions they are doing as you look throughpictureswalk through the pictures and discuss them on eachpage to build child’s interest
4. During ReadingRead each page and pause inbetween the lines to askyour child questions .use question words such as “Why do you think thishas happened?”who did it?what will happen next?if you were in its place, what would you do?
5. Read withVaried Intonationvary your pitch and tone as you read to bring outexpression and emotionmimick the character as he or she would speak asyou readcreate an environment of fun, awe and curiosity forthe child
6. Give Positive FeedbackEncourage the child as he participates and answersyour questions through phrases such as” well done”,“I’m proud of you” “Excellent” “I’m so happy youcould answer” “Wonderful” “I like it” “That soundsinteresting “etc.Motivation increases child’s enthusiasm andparticipation.
7. Don’t Show DisappointementNever lose your cool if the child does not know howto answerRephrase your question using simple wordsAnswer on his behalf and ask him if his answer issame or different from yours
8. After ReadingAsk the child if he liked the story and if he liked it,what did he like and if he disliked it, what did hedislikeGive him the book and ask him to show you hisfavourite picture and ask questions like” why is ityour favourite picture?”Show him your favourite picture and tell him why doyou like it.
9. Asking Questionshelps to stimulate child’s interest and curiosity is builtit keeps children motivated as brain learns the bestwhen it is genuinely focused in it’s natural relaxedstatetriggers the creative aspects of your child’s brain ashe is able to imagine the outcome and give responseteaches them to ask questions and expand theircommunication ability
10. Types of Questionsask questions that involve the children such as whatdo you think will happen to the characterwhat will the character do nextdo you think he is a good person? why why notif you were in it’s place, what would you dowhy is he doing it
11. Asking Right questionsEnhances the comprehension ability of the childEnhances the imaginative ability of the childTriggers his creativity to ask similar or differentquestionsBoosts his confidence as he is praised for hisresponses
12. Discipline and EnthusiasmBe regular in bonding with the child over bookreading experiences.Book scanning can be done when you are short oftime.Book scanning involves only looking through thepictures by pointing to the characters by their namesand guessing the story through the pictures.