- Smoking has become a very common habit for teens over the years. Teens have become a specific target for tobacco companies and peer pressure. Thus, the goal of our project is to find out :
- the main influence of teenage smokers
- the long term effects of becoming a teen smoker
TEEN TOBACCO USE
- • The onset of tobacco use usually occurs during childhood and adolescence – 90% initiate before age 19.
- In the US,3,900 people age 12-17 years start smoking everyday.
- 1,500 become regular ,daily smokers.
RISK FACTORS FOR INITIATING TOBACCO USE :-
- Parents’ behaviors and attitudes.
- Co morbid psychiatric disorders.
- Anxiety ,ADHD ,substance abuse.
- Concerns about weight gain.
TEENS WHO USE TOBACCO ARE:-
- More likely to be psychologically distressed, abuse other substances.
- Less likely to be attached to parents, do well in school, participate in extracurricular activities, know the adverse effects of smoking.
EFFECTS OF LONG TERM SMOKING
TEEN TOBACCO ADDICTION
- • Those who begin as teens
- Nicotine dependence is more severe if use
- • Are more likely to become dependent
- • Use more heavily as adults
- • Increased vulnerability may be due to still developing brain
WHY DOES TOBACCO USE BEGIN?
- Annual tobacco marketing - $10 billion/years
- • Very effective with youth
- • Promotions lower cost of cigarettes
- • Free tobacco paraphernalia
- • Smoking depicted in magazines, movies
WHAT’S IN A CIGARETTE
ASHISH GOYAL MAHIMA PRAJWAL jaideep REPRESENTED BY: