Current Awareness MCQs 2012 – Set 2 Follow us:- Fecebook.com/IBPSExamination , Twitter.com/IBPSExaminationThis is the 2nd set of 120 Current Affairs quizzes.These quizzes will equip you to take all competitiveexaminations as well. These quizzes are basedon Corporate, Economy, Sports, Science, NationalCurrent Affairs of India. This will make you betterprepared to face competitive examinations like that ofIBPS CWE, Bank PO, RRB, NABARD, RBI, LIC,Civil Services, MBA etc.1. Oman Investment Fund (OIF), the Sultanate of Oman’ssovereign wealth fund, filed application with thegovernment to buy a stake in which of the softwaresolutions company, IT People promoted exchange?a. Universal Commodity Exchangeb. Agri bourse NCDEXc. Intercontinental Exchanged. National Spot Exchange LimitedAnswer: (a)2. Which company on 27 Deember 2011 mentioned that it would acquire the remaining 51 per centstake from BP Alternative Energy Holdings in the joint venture that it formed with BP?a. Reliance Powerb. Tata Powerc. Adani Power Limitedd. ABB LtdAnswer: (b)3. Which paharmaceutical company announced in December 2011 the launch of Supamovecreamused for treating pain and inflammation in India?a. Ciplab. Ranbaxy
c. Dr. Reddy’sd. Sun PharmaceuticalsAnswer: (c)4. Name the state-run Mumbai-headquartered bank which on 29 December 2011 surprised themarket by cutting its base rate, the minimum lending rate, by 10 basis points, thereby becoming thefirst banker this year to do so when others are waiting for a signal from the central bank.a. State Bank of Indiab. Union Bankc. United Bank of Indiad. Allahabad BankAnswer: (b)5. The $35-billion Aditya Birla group plans to set up a viscose staple fibre (VSF) plant in theAdana Organised Industrial Zone in which of the following countries?a. Tunisiab. Tanzaniac. Turkeyd. TibetAnswer: (c)6. Reserve Bank of India deregulated non-resident external (NRE) deposits on 16 December 2011allowing banks to offer higher interest rates to dollar-denominated accounts. Which of thefollowing facts related to the above statement is/are not true?2. Reserve Bank freed the rates on non-resident external accounts, offering interest as high as9.6% per annum3. Following RBI’s deregulation five Indian banks, including HDFC Bank and Yes Bank on 23December 2011 raised their interest rates on such deposits in order to lure foreign money4. Private lender Yes Bank increased the interest rates on fixed deposits held by non-residentIndians (NRIs) to 8.4 per cent from 3.82 per cent5. The new rates are effective from 24 December for fresh deposits as well as those beingrenewed on maturity.a. 1 & 2b. Only4c. Only 3d. 1 & 4Answer: (c)7. According to the RBI data, Indias foreign exchange reserves fell by what amount to $302.1billion during the week ended 16 December 2011 on account of a fall in foreign currency assets?a. $4.67 billionb. $3.33 billionc. $5 billion
d. $5.75 billionAnswer: (a)8. According to the Tea Board data released in December 2011, tea imports declined by what percent to 9.91 million kg in the April-October period of 2011?a. 10%b. 12.5%c. 14%d. 15.3%Answer: (c)9. Infrastructure sector recorded a growth of what per cent in Novemberr 2011 after touching five-year low of 0.3% in October 2011 due to an impressive growth in cement, electricity and refineryproducts?a. 2.3%b. 3.9%c. 4.6%d. 6.8%Answer: (d)10. Telecom Commission, the decision-making body of the Department of Telecommunicationsrecommended a uniform licence fee of what per cent of adjusted gross revenues (AGR) as againstthe prevalent rate of 6-8 per cent?a. 10%b. 8%c. 5.2%d. 9.3%Answer: (b)11. Theatre director, screenplay writer and actor Satyadev Dubey, credited with introducingexistential and absurd theatre, passed away on 25 December 2011. Which facts about the concernedperson is/are not true?2. he got attracted to the post-1947 theatre and joined Theatre Unit, the theatre group-cum-schoolfounded by Ebrahim Alkazi3. Dubey came into prominence with Dharamvir Bharati’s radio-play Andha Yug that brought tothe fore the pervasive criminal and homicidal tendencies during the times of war.4. He penned screenplays/dialogue of some acclaimed films in the 1970s, including ShyamBenegals Nishant, Ankur, Kalyug and Bhumika5. He won the Filmfare Award for Best Dialogue in 1980 for the film Ankura. Only 1b. Only4c. 2 & 3d. Only 2Answer: (b)
12. Identify the veteran politician and former Chief Minister of Karnataka with the help of thefollowing clues.1. He was the Chief Minister of Karnataka from 1990-92 and died on 26 December 20112. The three time Lok Sabha member represented Bellary constituency3. He was on the national political stage as a Lok Sabha member for three terms in 1996, 1999and 2003.4. He was instrumental in holding the first Indian international film festival in Bengaluru in 1993a. H. D. Kumaraswamyb. J. H. Patelc. S. M. Krishnad. S.BangarappaAnswer: (d)13. India’s infant mortality rate (IMR) showed a 3 point decline, dropping to what number per1,000 live births, as per government data released on 28 December 2011?a. 43b. 55c. 47d. 50Answer: (c)14. Maharashtra government planned to provide free medicare for poor families. Consider thefollowing statements:i) The plan will benefit 50 lakh families.ii) The plan will cover eight districts in state.Choose the right option:a) Both i and ii are correct.b) Only i is correct.c) Only ii is correct.d) Neither i nor ii is correct.Answer: (a) Both i and ii are correct15. Lok Sabha on 27 December 2011 passed the Lokpal and Lokayukta bill, 2011. Consider thefollowing statements:i) The setting up of Lokayuktas by the states would not be mandatory.ii) The constitutional amendment bill fell through.Choose the right option:a) Both i and ii are correct.b) Only i is correct.c) Only ii is correct.d) Neither i nor ii is correct.Answer: (a) Both i and ii are correct16. Name the Mumbai skipper who on 22 December 2011 overtook former teammate as thehighest run-getter in Ranji Trophy by scoring a total of 8242 runs.
a. Wasim Jafferb. Amol Muzumdarc. Amarjeet Kaypeed. Pankaj DharmaniAnswer: (a)17. Who won his first Men’s Singles title of 2011 at the 2011 $120,000 Syed Modi India OpenGrand Prix Gold badminton championship?a. Sourabh Vermab. Taufik Hidayatc. Anup Sridhard. Hendra SetiawanAnswer: (b)18. Which team won both the mens & women’s title in the 10th All-India Invitational volleyballtournament for the Vajpayee Cup?a. Andhra Pradeshb. Punjabc. Keralad. Southern RailwayAnswer: (c)19. Identify the Indian footballer with the help of the following clues.1. This Indian football team defender announced his retirement from international football on 26December 20112. He captained the Indian team in one match (against Malaysia) in November 20113. He had scored one goal against Bhutan in SAFF Cup in 20054. He was part of the Indian teams which won SAFF Cup (2005), Nehru Cup (2007 and 2009),AFC Challenge Cup (2008) apart from the recent SAFF championshipa. Arnab Mondalb. Gurwinder Singhc. Anas Edathodikad. Mahesh GawliAnswer: (d)20. The Indian team finished at the fourth position in the World Womens Team ChessChampionship at Mardin,Turkey on 27 December 2011. Which team won gold and emerged at thetop in the competition?a. Ukraineb. Russiac. Chinad. GreeceAnswer: (c)21. Name the Cyclone, which hit the coast of Chennai and south-eastern coastal areas.a) Thane
b) Nargisc) Ritad) KatrinaAnswer: (a) Thane22. Name the gene, which controls memory in human brain.a) Npas4b) Npas3c) Mpas4d) Npas2Answer: (a) Npas423. WGEEP designated entire Western Ghats as an ecologically sensitive area. What is the fullform of WGEEP?a) Western Ghats expert panelb) Western Ghats environmental panelc) Western Ghats environmental expert paneld) Western Ghats ecology expert panelAnswer: (d) Western Ghats ecology expert panel24. China launched a High-Speed Bullet Train in Quingdao, Shandong. Consider the followingstatements:i) Its speed can reach up to 500 kilometres per hour.ii) The train was launched by China’s largest rail vehicle maker, CSR Corp. Ltd.Choose the right option:a) Both i and ii are correct.b) Only i is correct.c) Only ii is correct.d) Neither i nor ii is correct.Answer: (a) Both i and ii are correct25. Scientists discovered a Way to Transform Ordinary Tissue into Heart Muscle Cells. Considerthe following statements:i) It could pave the way for new therapeutic approaches for making a damaged heart to repair itself.ii) Scientists used a zebrafish system to develop a small and robust molecule, which can transformstem cells into beating heart muscle cells.Choose the right option:a) Both i and ii are correct.b) Only i is correct.c) Only ii is correct.d) Neither i nor ii is correct.Answer: (a) Both i and ii are correct26. People’s national party recently won Parliamentary elections in Jamaica. What is the capitalof Jamaica?
a) New Delhib) Kingstonc) Parisd) LondonAnswer: (b) Kingston27. India and Pakistan concluded their sixth round of talks in__ on 27 December 2011.a) Islamabadb) New Delhic) Londond) ParisAnswer: (a) Islamabad28. USA and Saudi Arabia inked an agreement worth__ US dollars.a) 29.4 billionb) 20 billionc) 25 billiond) 23 billionAnswer: (a) 29.4 billion US dollars29. India approved the acquisition of French advanced missile systems to arm the Mirage-2000fighter jets. Consider the following statements:i) The cabinet committee on Security cleared the contract for the fire and forget MICA with Frenchcompany MBDA.ii) MICA are interception and aerial combat missiles.Choose the right option:a) Both i and ii are correct.b) Only i is correct.c) Only ii is correct.d) Neither i nor ii is correct.Answer: (a) Both i and ii are correct30. The Union government approved Katra-Quazigund Railway line project. The project is locatedin__.a) Jammu and Kashmirb) Biharc) Punjabd) HaryanaAnswer: (a) Jammu and Kashmir31. India became free from bird flu,__.a) H5N1b) H4N1c) H5N2d) H3N3Answer: (a) H5N1
32. Which PSU announced on 2 January 2012 that its board approved in a meeting held on 30December 2011 the switching over to internationally-accepted Gross Caloric Value-based pricingmechanism?a. BHELb. ISPATc. CILd. IOCAnswer: (c)33. Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) entered the media and entertainment sectorby making a major investment in one of India’s largest broadcast companies. Name the broadcastcompany.a. Network18 Groupb. Adlabs Filmsc. Balaji Telefilmsd. Bag FilmsAnswer: (a)34. Credit Suisse upgraded which company to neutral from underperform, citing valuationcomfort at current?a. Essar Energyb. Reliance Powerc. Bajaj Autod. Tata SteelAnswer: (d)35. Which PSU lender called off its plans to set up a joint venture with Visa Inc and Elavon Inc toenter the merchant acquiring business over differences on sharing technology?a. Union Bankb. State Bank of Indiac. Syndicate Bankd. Corp BankAnswer: (b)36. This company acquired Star more than 500 films like blockbusters like Salman KhansDabangg, Ready, Golmaal 3, Tees Maar Khan, Thank You, No One Killed Jessica, Guzaarish,Kites and Raavan from a general entertainment channel owned by the Viacom 18 Group?a. Sonyb. UTV moviesc. Colorsd. Sab TVAnswer: (c)37. Union government raised the ad valorem duty (export duty) on iron ore exports to what percent from 20 per cent?
a. 30%b. 33%c. 41%d. 43%Answer: (a)38. As per the to Commerce Ministry data released on 2 January 2012, India’s exports recordedtheir slowest pace of growth in two years in November 2011. What was the per centage of growthrecorded?a. 4.2%b. 3.8%c. 2.2%d. 0.94%Answer: (b)39. Union government on 3 January 2012 approved Reliance Industries (RIL) investment planfor developing four satellite fields in the flagging KG-D6 block. What was the proposed sum to beinvested for developing the satellites?a. $1.500 billionb. $1.692 billionc. $1.529 billiond. $1.375 billionAnswer: (c)40. The capital market regulator SEBI on 3 January 2012 allowed auctioning of securities throughstock exchanges and introduced a new method for institutional placement of stocks. Which of thefollowing facts related to the above statement is/are not true?1. Under the institutional placement programme (IPP), shares can be sold only to qualifiedinstitutional buyers.2. There shall be at least 25 allottees in every IPP issuance. No single investor shall receiveallotment for more than 25% of the offer size3. The IPP method can be used to increase public holding by 10% and could be offered to onlyqualified institutional buyers with 25% being reserved for mutual funds and insurance companies4. Under the IPP, companies will have to announce the ratio of buy-back, as is done in the case ofrights issues and fix a record date for determination of entitlements as per shareholding on recorddatea. Only 1b. Only 3c. Only 2d. Only 4Answer: (c)41. What is the Finace Ministry’s decision on the rates applicable on small savings instrumentsschemes that would be announced on April 1 each year?a. rate would remain valid till the maturity of the schemeb. rate would change in the first qurter of that respective yearc. rates would change depending on different maturity period
d. rates would remainvalid for six months post the maturityAnswer: (a)42. Scientists for the first time produced mixed embryo monkeys. Consider the followingstatements:i) Scientists produced monkeys composed of cells taken from separate embryos.ii) The cells stay together and work together to form tissues and organs.Choose the right option:a) Both i and ii are correct.b) Only i is correct.c) Only ii is correct.d) Neither i nor ii is correct.Answer: (a) Both i and ii are correct43. Scientists discovered unknown species off the coast of Antarctica. Consider the followingstatements: i) The temperature in this region rises to 380 degree Celsius. Ii) There is plenty of lightin this region.Which of the above statements is/ are correct?a) Only ib) Only iic) Both i and iid) Neither i nor iiAnswer: (a) Only i; There is complete absence of light in this region44. The world’s first hybrid sharks was discovered by the researchers in Australian waters. Thehybrid shark is the result of cross-breeding between which one of the following set of sharkspecies?a) Common black tip Shark and Australian black-tip sharkb) Indian black-tip Shark and Australian black-tip Sharkc) Blue Whale and Common black-tip Sharkd) Blue Whale and Australian black-tip SharkAnswer: (a) Common black-tip Shark and Australian black-tip Shark45. Scientists produced artificial human semen to help infertile men. Consider the followingstatements: i) The scientists grew the sperm by enveloping the germ cells in a special compoundcalled agar jelly. ii) The artificial human semen could help infertile men father their own children.Choose the right option:a) Both i and ii are correct.b) Only i is correct.c) Only ii is correct.d) Neither i nor ii is correct.Answer: (a) Both i and ii are correct46. Health Authorities in Australia recently detected Deadly Disease, Murray Valley Encephalitis.The disease is caused by the__.a) Flies
b) Mosquitoesc) Birdsd) DogsAnswer: (a) Mosquitoes47. Kiro Gligorov, the former president of Macedonia died in Skopje on 1 January 2012. Whichfacts about Gligorov given below are not true?2. Gligorov was the first democratically elected president of Macedonia.3. He joined the partisan movement fighting against the Nazi occupation and was one of theorganizers of the Anti-Fascist Assembly for the People’s Liberation of Macedonia, or ASNOM in19454. Gligorov served four consecutive presidential terms, leading the nation from January 1991 toNovember 20095. The early days his presidency were overshadowed by a bitter dispute with Greece over thenewly independent nation’s name , the dispute that continues till datea. Only 1b. 1 & 2c. Only 3d. 2 & 4Answer: (c)48. Who was presented the Mahatma Gandhi International Award for Peace and Reconciliation on4 January 2011, the fourth day of the ten-day Kalachakra initiations?a. Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lamab. South African leader Nelson Mandelac. Tanzania’s Julius Nyerered. Burmese pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu KyiAnswer: (c)49. European Union agreed in principle to ban import of Iranian Crude oil. Consider the followingstatements:i) The European Union( EU) is one of Iran’s biggest markets for oil.ii) The EU is a political and economical union of 27 member states.Choose the right option:a) Both i and ii are correct.b) Only i is correct.c) Only ii is correct.d) Neither i nor ii is correct.Answer: (a) Both i and ii are correct50. The Israel-Palestine talks, in the first week of January 2012 was held in Amman. Amman is thecapital of__a) Jordanb) Syriac) Iraqd) IranAnswer: (a) Jordan
51. Maldives on 4 January 2012 lifted ban on Spas in the upmarket tourist destination. Consider thefollowing statements:i) The tourism industry is an important foreign exchange earner in the Maldives.ii) Maldives in 2011 received more than 850000 tourists.Choose the right option:a) Both i and ii are correct.b) Only i is correct.c) Only ii is correct.d) Neither i nor ii is correct.Answer: (a) Both i and ii are correct56. India signed MoU( Memorandum of Understanding) on tourism with ASEAN on 12 January2012. The agreement took place in__.a) Manadob) Jakartac) Malaysiad) ManilaAnswer: (a) Manado57. Pravasi Bhartiya Divas-2012 was held in Jaipur. Jaipur is the capital of which one of thefollowing states?a) Rajasthanb) Biharc) UPd) BiharAnswer: (a) Rajasthan58. India and Japan on 12 January 2012 agreed to enhance their cooperation in the ___sector.a) Infrastructureb) Tourismc) Road and Transportd) Coal and MiningAnswer: (a) Infrastructure59. Newly crowned Miss Belgium 2012, Laura Beyne mentioned that she mostly supports gaymarriages. In which year did Belgium become the second country after the Netherlands to legalizegay marriage?a. 2000b. 2003c. 2005d. 2009Answer: (b)60. TiE Chennai (The Indus Entrepreneurs), dedicated to promote entrepreneurship in January 2012launched a book Dream to destiny — the driving spirit of Chennais entrepreneurs in January 2012.TiE Chennai is a _.a. Non-profit organisationb. Committee of Entrepreneurs
c. Multinational organisationd. Entrepreneur arm of the Commerce MinistryAnswer: (a)61. State-run Northern Coalfields (NCL) agreed to surrender land required to mine two blocksattached to the Sasan ultra mega power plant to which of the following companies giving thecomapany the benefit of over Rs 6000 crore over the life of the venture?a. Reliance Powerb. Adani Powerc. Birla Power Solutionsd. DLF PowerAnswer: (a)62. Which car took home the crown of Indian Car Of The Year 2012 in January 2012?a. Toyota Etios Livab. Maruti Suzuki Swiftc. Hyundai Vernad. Hyundai EonAnswer: (b)63. B. D. Park was appointed the President and CEO of this electronic major’s South West AsiaOperations and Managing Director of its India operations. Which electronic major is in questionhere?a. Phillipsb. Videoconc. Samsungd. LGAnswer: (c)64. Maldives authorities allowed Male International Airport operator to collect airportdevelopment and insurance charges from passengers, nearly a month after a local court barred theBangalore-based company from doing so. Name the operator.a. GMR Infrastructureb. International Air Transport Association (IATA)c. Fraport AGd. DIALAnswer: (a)65. Which French construction major entered the Indian market by buying out 100 per cent stakein NAPC, a Chennai-based construction company?a. Sinopec Engineeringb. Uhdec. Vincid. SnamprogettiAnswer: (c)
66. According to the draft sports policy of this state Government released on 11 January 2012, aspecial life-time achievement award, in memory of G.V. Raja, the founder-president of the StateSports Council is to be instituted. Which State is being referred to?a. Karnatakab. Keralac. Tamil Nadud. Andhra PradeshAnswer: (b)67. Which team defeated Uttarakhand 25-22, 25-22, 25-13 in the men’s category to win theNational title for the fourth time, in the 60th senior National volleyball championship, at the BalbirJuneja Indoor Stadium, Raipur on 11 January 2012?a. Keralab. Andhra Pradeshc. West Bengald. Tamil naduAnswer: (a)68. Which team extended their hegemony by defeating Kerala 25-12, 25-14, 25-16 in a one-sidedfinal in the women’s category at the 60th senior National volleyball championship?a. Punjabb. Servicesc. Railwaysd. DelhiAnswer: (c)69. This footballer was awarded the 2011 FIFA Ballon dOr on 9 january 2012 in Zurich. He wonthe award for the third consecutive year for the worlds outstanding footballer. Identify thefootballer.a. Cristiano Ronaldob. Xavic. Sergio Ramosd. Lionel MessiAnswer: (d)70. Foreign direct investment (FDI) into India went up by what per cent to $2.53 billion inNovember 2011, indicating an improvement in investor sentiment?a. 56%b. 49%c. 33%d. 26%Answer: (a)71. As per the Forward Markets Commission data released on 9 January 2012 that the turnover ofthe 21 commodity exchanges in India increased by 66% to what amount till December 2011?
a. Rs 123 lakh croreb. Rs 137.22 lakh crorec. Rs 100.57 lakh crored. Rs 93 lakh croreAnswer: (b)72. Indirect tax collections increased by what per cent to Rs 285787 crore during April-December2011 driven by an increase in service tax mop-up?a. 15%b. 14.56%c. 16.1%d. 16.33%Answer: (c)73. The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) notified that the Commerce Ministry on on11 January 2012 lowered the minimum export price of onions by $100 a tonne to boost exports.What is the changed minimum export price of onion?a. $200 a tonneb. $250 a tonnec. $300 a tonned. $150 a tonneAnswer: (d)74. Prime Ministers Office on 11 January 2012 directed cash-rich public sector undertakings(PSUs) to invest around Rs.1.76 lakh crore to act as a stimulus in the next fiscal 2012-13. What isthe amount to be invested domestically?a. Rs.1.41 lakh croreb. Rs 1.57 lakh crorec. Rs 2.50 lakh crored. Rs 3.19 lakh croreAnswer: (a)75. He was conferred with the first S K Singh Award for excellence in the Indian Foreign Serviceon 6 January 2012. Identify the diplomat.a. Ranjan Mathaib. Shivshankar Menonc. D Bala Venkatesh Vermad. K. RaghunathAnswer: (c)76. Which Ministry prepared draft policy seeking to increase private participation and opens thedoors for foreign direct investors for expanding its network?a. Railways Ministryb. Ministry of Rural Developmentc. Ministry of Commerce and Industryd. Defence Ministry
Answer: (a)77. Six researchers from five science streams were honoured with this prize by the formerPresident, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam in Bangalore on 9 January 2012. Name the prize in question.a. Infosys Prizeb. India Science Prizec. Rolls-Royce Science Prized. Young Scientist AwardAnswer: (a)78. Which one of the following state governments launched Panch Parmeshwar scheme?a) Madhya Pradeshb) Biharc) UPd) KeralaAnswer: (a) Madhya Pradesh79. The Cabinet Committee on Security approved the setting up of NCTC. What is the full form ofNCTC?a) National Counter Terrorism Centreb) National Trade Cooperationc) National Central Terrorism Centred) National Council for Trade CooperationAnswer: (a) National Counter Terrorism Centre80. Which of the following companies infused Rs 520 crore equity into BSES Delhi distributioncompanies as part of Rs 5,100 crore financial package being worked by IDBIa. NTPCb. RILc. Adani Power Ltdd. Birla GroupAnswer: (b)81. Suzlon Energy signed a memorandum of understanding with this State Government as a part ofthe CIIs Partnership Summit that concluded on 13 January 2012. As per the MoU, Suzlon Energywill develop wind power projects totalling 3,000 MW in Andhra Pradesh over the next four years,involving potential investment of up to Rs.18,000 crore. Name the state government with which theMoU was signed.a. Andhra Pradesh governmentb. Gujarat governemntc. Orissa governmentd. Arunachal Pradesh governmentAnswer: (a)82. Name the auto making company which launched three new variants of the Eon-D — Liteplus, Era plus and Magna plus in the Indian market in January 2012.a. Tata Motorsb. Hyundai Motor India
c. Volkswagend. Maruti SuzukiAnswer: (b)83. The Government of which of the following countries acquired 1.09 per cent stake, currentlyworth about Rs.2500 crore, in Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL), the companyslatest shareholding data show?a. Malaysiab. Japanc. Phillipinesd. SingaporeAnswer: (d)84. Which Photography Pioneer filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on 19 January 2012making it likely for the 132-year-old trailblazer to become the most storied casualty of a digitalage?a. Eastman Kodak Companyb. Fujic. Nikond. CanonAnswer: (a)85. Which company retained its top position in Interbrands list of the top 100 global brands in2011?a. Appleb. Coca colac. Microsoftd. GoogleAnswer: (b)86. As per the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) data, industrial production bounced back witha growth of what per cent in November 2011, marking a five-month high in a reversal from thenegative trend witnessed in October 2011?a. 5.9%b. 6.5%c. 7%d. 8.2%Answer: (a)87. India on 13 January 2012 extended for how many years an anti-dumping duty on import offour Chinese products like nylon filament yarn, Saccharin, cellophane transparent film etc?a. 3 yearsb. 5 yearsc. 10 yearsd. 12 yearsAnswer: (b)
88. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 13 January 2012 issued guidelines on compensation ofwholetime directors, chief executive officers and other risk takers in private and foreign banks.Which of the following facts regarding the above statement is/are not true.1. The central bank’s directions are aimed at preventing greed from destabilising the institution.2. The guiderlines include provisions to clawback pay if transactions fail years after origination3. The norms provided also include capping the variable component of the compensation at 48%of the fixed pay in a year4. As per the guidelines issued, banks are permitted to exclude the Employees Stock Option Planfrom variable paya. Only 2b. Only 4c. Only 3d. 2 & 4Answer: (c)89. Which of the following bodies unveiled rules for direct investment in stocks by foreigninvestors, including individuals to put curbs on opaque structures to prevent routing of funds byresident Indians?a. IRDAb. FICCIc. CCId. SEBIAnswer: (d)90. As per the Wholesale Price Index, published by the government on 16 January 2012, Reducedfood prices caused the inflation to dip to a year low at what per cent in December 2011?a. 7.47%b. 7.65%c. 6.33%d. 5.41%Answer: (a)91. Scientists identified a new gene in maize plants called__.a) Meg1b) Meg2c) Meg3d) Meg4Answer: (a) Meg192. Researchers discovered new earthworm species in Port Blair. What is the name of the newspecies?a) Moniligaster ivaniosib) Annelidac) Nematodad) OnychophoraAnswer: (a): Moniligaster ivaniosi
93. Scientists recently developed a new wireless device to detect the presence of termites. Considerthe following statements: i) when the new device detects the presence of termites, it sends an SMSor email to a pest control firm. ii) The device is made of a tiny sensor, even smaller than afingernail.Choose the right option:a) Both i and ii are correct.b) Only i is correct.c) Only ii is correct.d) Neither i nor ii is correct.Answer: (a): Both i and ii are correct94. The scientists claimed that the Meteorite, which fell in Morocco in July 2011, was from Mars.The event happened for the first time in__ years.a) 50b) 100c) 200d) 150Answer: (a) 5095. Scientists found the Extinct Monkey, the Miller’s Grizzled Langur in the forests of___.a) Indonesiab) Malaysiac) Indiad) AfricaAnswer: (a) Indonesia96. 10th PBD( Pravasi Bhartiya Divas) was held at which one of the following Indian cities?a) Jaipurb) Patnac) New Delhid) ChennaiAnswer: (a) Chennai97. Planning Commission of India on 18 January 2012 approved Rudrasagar development scheme.The scheme is related__.a) Tripurab) Assamc) Manipurd) SikkimAnswer: (a) Tripura98. Writer/diplomat Pavan K. Varmas new book set in contemporary India and in the Himalayankingdom of Bhutan, was launched in the New Delhi by Ashi Dorji Wangmo Wangchuck, theQueen Mother of Bhutan in January 2012. The protagonist Anand is wrongly diagnosed withcancer. He quits his high-power job and loses himself in a Bhutanese retreat.
Name the book.a. When Loss is Gainb. Ghalib: The Manc. The Great Indian Middle Classd. The TimesAnswer: (a)99. Identify the photographer with the help of the following clues.1. She was India’s first woman photo-journalist and was the only professional womanphotojournalist between 1939 and 19702. She was commonly known by her pseudonym Dalda 133. She also captured the first flag-hoisting ceremony at the Red Fort on August 16 1947, thedeparture of Lord Mountbatten from India and the funerals of Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehruand Lal Bahadur Shastri.4. The Padma Bhushan Awardee breathed her last on 15 January 2012.a. Ronika Kandharib. Asha Kocharc. Prabuddha Dasguptad. Homai VyarawalaAnswer: (d)100. Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on 11 January 2012 launched the signature tuneof the Indian Customs Pragati ki Dhadkan in New Delhi. The signature tune was composed bywhich of the noted music directors?a. A. R. Rahmanb. Aadesh Shrivastavac. Adnan Samid. Shankar-Ehsaan-LoyAnswer: (b)101. Prime Minister of Trinidad & Tobago visited India from 5 January 2012 to 14 January 2012.Who among the following is the Prime Minister of Trinidad & Tobago?a) Kamla Persad Bissessarb) Hosni Mubarakc) Manmohan Singhd) Naresh GoyalAnswer: (a) Kamla Persad Bissessar102. The fifth edition of the World Future Energy summit began in__.a) Abu Dhabib) New Delhic) Tehrand) DhakaAnswer: (a) Abu Dhabi103. Memogate scandal is related to which one of the following countries?a) Pakistanb) Sri Lanka
c) Chinad) IndiaAnswer: (a) Pakistan104. Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan and International Asociation of Sanskrit Studies jointly organisedthe 15th World Sanskrit conference from 5 to 10 January 2012 at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi.Where was the 14th World Sanskrit conference held?a. Kyoto, Japanb. Beijing, Chinac. Colombo, Sri Lankad. Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaAnswer: (a)105. Identify this politicial with the help of the following clues.1. Leader of the Sandinista movement which overthrew the US-backed Somoza dictatorship in19792. After the Nicaraguan Revolution resulted in the overthrow and exile of the Somozasgovernment in 1979, he became a member of the ruling multipartisan Junta of NationalReconstruction.3. He was elected as the 83rd Nicaraguan president in 2006. He had previously served as the 79thPresident, between 1985 and 1990.4. He made alliances with fellow Latin American socialists and signed Nicaragua up to theBolivarian Alliance for the Americas.a. Enrique Bolañosb. Arnoldo Alemánc. Daniel Ortegad. Hugo ChávezAnswer: (c)106. The Bangalore-based pharmaceutical major, Strides Arcolab, sold its 94 per cent stake inAscent Pharmahealth, a subsidiary with operations in Australia and Southeast Asia, to which of thefollowing U.S.-based pharma companies?a. Watson Pharmaceuticalsb. Abbott Laboratoriesc. Pfizerd. Derma SciencesAnswer: (a)107. The Board of Approval (BoA) under the Commerce Ministry on 24 January 2012 approvedthe proposal of this company to set up a special economic zone (SEZ) at Indore in Madhya Pradesh.Identify the company.a. Reliance Industriesb. Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)c. Hero Motorsd. InfosysAnswer: (b)
108. Which private life insurance company from India on 25 January 2012 launched its firstinternational operations with the opening of its representative office in Dubai?a. Kotak Insuranceb. New India Insurancec. HDFC Lifed. Religare InsurnceAnswer: (c)109. Name the world’s largest biotechnology company, agreed to buy Micromet in a $1.16 billiondeal to gain an experimental leukemia drug.a. Celgene Drugb. B B Biotechc. Dechertd. AmgenAnswer: (d)110. Which channel developed a 52-week special India: Wild Encounters to focuss on Indiasenchanting wildlife s well as take viewers on an exploration spree ?a. Discovery Indiab. Animal Planetc. Sonyd. National GepgraphyAnswer: (b)111. Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy (CMIE) estimated Corporate India’s sales to growby what per cent in 2011-12?a. 21.6%b. 20.8%c. 22d. 23.7%Answer: (a)112. According to the report by Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC)released in January 2012, gems and jewellery exports fell into the negative zone to $3 billion inDecember 2011. What per cent fall did it register in the month in question?a. 10.33%b. 12.17%c. 13.33%d. 15%Answer: (d)113. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 24 January 2012 cut the cash reserve ratio (CRR) by 50basis point. The current CRR stands at what percent?a. 5%b. 5.5%c. 6%
d. 6.5%Answer: (b)114. The Reserve Bank of India on 24 January 2012 also kept the repo rate unchanged for thesecond consecutive time after raising it 13 times between March 2010 and October 2011. What isthe present repo rate?a. 8%b. 7.5%c. 8.5%d. 9%Answer: (c)115. The poor performance of National Pension System, or NPS led the Pension Fund Regulatoryand Development Authority (PFRDA) to change the incentive structure for the distributors. Whichof the following statements in this regard is/are not true?1. The pension regulator on the basis of the recommendation of the G.N. Bajpai committeeconstituted by PFRDA to review NPS, fixed the incentive at 0.25% of the subscription amount2. As per PFRDA’s measures announceds, a distributor will get a flat Rs 50 on initial subscriptionand 0.05% of the initial subscription amount3. Every year on subsequent investments, the point of presence will be entitled to 0.25% of thatamount.4. The minimum that a point of presence can charge is Rs 20 and the maximum Rs 25000.a. Only 1b. Only 2c. Only 3d. Only 4Answer: (b)116. FIPB headed by Economic Affairs Secretary R Gopalan had in a meeting held on 5 August2011 cleared how many FDI proposals of a total worth of Rs 3844.7 crore?a. 31b. 12c. 18d. 23Answer: (a)117. According to the public debt management report released by the finance ministry on 17August 2011, by what percentage did the Centres debt rise in the first quarter (April to June) of thecurrent fiscal 2011-12?a. 5.5%b. 6%c. 6.7%d. 8.1%Answer: (b)
118. According to a report from CRISIL Research, how many additional jobs does India need tocreate by 2015 to maintain the current ratio of employed people to total population at 39 per cent?a. 40 millionb. 47 millionc. 55 milliond. 57 millionAnswer: (c)119. Headline inflation eased to its eight-month low to what percentage in July from 9.44 per centin the previous month?a. 8.20%b. 9.22%c. 7.36%d. 8 %Answer: (b)120. Which regulatory body on 16 August 2011 suggested that the Centre and the Stategovernments should come out with a regulatory framework for the realty sector to protectconsumers from unfair trade practices?a. IRDAb. SEBIc. FICCId. CCIAnswer: (d) Follow us:- Fecebook.com/IBPSExamination , Twitter.com/IBPSExamination Best of Luck for your Preparation Very Useful website for Civil Services Aspirants Visit Now:- www.AllCurrentAffairs.tk www.BharatNewsPortal.blogspot.com