“Sun silk Gang of Girls”
ASHA PRIYA GOUD
GITAM INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT
• Unilever 1930 , British soap maker
• Hindustan Vanaspati manufacturing company
• Former name: HLL
• Merged to form HUL
Industry - Consumer goods
Key people- Harish Manwani (Chairman),
Nitin Paranjpe (CEO and MD)
• Sunsilk India launched a social networking
site called Gang of Girls
• offered its users to access to a variety of local
and global experts
• various hair care needs through its content,
blogs and live chat room.
Launch-17th June 2006
What’s unique about this initiative
• Topics of interest
• Presence in college festivals
• Hair problems solutions from popular hair
• 1st company to take such a initiative of taking
the brand name in social networking.
Meant for: girls
1.Various feature including blogs
2.Advice on hair care and fashion from experts
4.Upload photograph and get an online
makeover on fashion
5.Engage in a group activities
Popularity: registered crossed the half million
mark ,with about 30,000 gangs
Sunsilk - Gang of Girls
Sunsilk - Gang of Girls
• Interactive Micro site
• Updated very regularly
• ‘Girls’ hang out as the topics are relevant to their lives
• Contest and Games/Chatting/ Blogging
• Celebration section
HIGH POINTS of Sunsilk - Gang of Girls
Large portion of youth have moved from
traditional channels due to reasons like…
1. Increase in disposable income
2. Double income families
3. Booming in BPO sector
‘Catch them young’
More time on internet, mobile phone, hanging
Youth make up 2/3 of 37millions surfers in
Surveys in 2006…
BW Hansa Youth survey
53.25% of youth buy products by reference
IAMAI(Internet and Mobile Association of India) report
12mill women logged on to the internet
2.5 of 30 mill members in Orkut are from India.
Shampoo market in India…
Life style product
Decrease in excise duty( 120-16%)
HUL vs P&G
HUL(Sun silk, clinicplus, all clear)
P&G(pantene, Head & shoulders)
70% of market on sachets
HUL(1+1 clinic plus)
Pantene(16% price cut)
Clinic plus( 23% price cut)
P&G Rejoice( competitive price)
50 p sachet
Cavin care ltd(chik and Nyle)
Dabur(Ayur and Vatika)
• Beauty( Sun silk)
• Health ( Clinic plus, Pantene)
• Anti-dandruff( Head & shoulder, Clinic All
• Natural Shampoo( Ayur, Vatika)
1.Creative and innovative
2.Big brand name
3.User friendly site.
4.Strong R&D department.
• 1.competitor has strong
• 2.customers are offered
better alternatives by
• 3.absences of cult appeal.
1.Penetration level of
shampoos in India was
2.Rural areas still a large
3.Growing importance of
print media and internet to
show explosive growth.
In house :clinicplus &
3.Frequent changes in
• Sunsilk, renowned for its product development initiatives, saw
stiff competition from new players in the shampoo market.
• Therefore the Sunsilk planned to adopt new strategy for
promoting its Brand.
• On June 17, 2006, HLL launchedSunsilkgangofgirls.com which it
claimed was India's first "online all-girl community". The site was
a branded space promoting Sunsilk while at the same time
providing a social networking space for girls.
• Social networking sites had become very popular with young
adults. Sites such as Orkut, hi5,Facebook, and MySpace etc., were
all dominated by this age group.
• Gang of Girls is a sucessful online girls‘ community created by
Sunsilk in India.
• It could not attract most of the girls in India.
• It was unable to reach the girls in rural area
where the consumer of Sunsilk shampoo were
• It targeted only girls between 16-24 age
&neglected the other group.
• Every girl may not have the facility of Internet.
Youth was the targeted segment
Hair treatment ideas
Adv(hair experts for promotion)
Sponsership(Miss India events)
• Promoting by mobile phones
• Social networks
• Target customers