• PROFILE OF HSBC
• INTRODUCTION TO THE CASE
• ILLUSTRATION OF ADDS (CONSUMER
PERSONALITY & MOTIVATION )
• CULTURE & CONSUMER
Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation
British multinational banking and financial
Headquartered in London , UK.
Started in 1991.
Originated from Hong Kong in 1865.
Global product lines – HSBC net , HSBCdirect
, HSBC advance , HSBC premier.
• Information oriented society: Importance of
Research and development.
• Commercialism of goods and services.
• Persuasive messages.
• Consumer research
- It tries to identify socio- demographic and
psychographic profile of consumers.
- It looks into the motivations and
personalities of an individual.
HSBC Print ads :
Consumer Personality and
• Personality :“[a] person’s consistent ways of responding
to the environment in individual in terms of consuming
or which he or she lives”
• Motivation:“an inner drive that reflects goal-oriented
• Motivation differs from personality.
- Motivation : represents consumer behavior at micro
- Personality : represents consumer behavior at macro
• HSBC launched its campaign on
multiculturalism, entitled “Business
Connections,” carrying with it the
slogan “Never underestimate the
importance of local knowledge”.
• Salient points from the analysis:
- to generate themes that depict the
buyer or service-oriented consumer,
-influence of motivation and
PRINT ADVERTISEMENT- 1
HUNGARY : BAD LUCK
• USA : GOOD HEALTH
• Effective display of