2. HISTORY Established in 1978, focusing on development on BIOPHARMACEUTICALS Syngene, India’s first biotech custom research company in drug discovery First company to manufacture human insulin using a Pichia expression system India’s first billion dollar biotech company
3. Beginning Collaborated with irish firm Biocon international Kiran owned 70% and Auchinloss(bioconint.) owned 30% of equity Started Biocon India from her garage. Initial Capital Rs 10,000 Started extracting enzyme (papain) from papaya & isinglass(fishmoss) Export to irish firm Novel product patenting e.g:Enzyme to clarify tea
4. Hurdles Financing regular operations  Approached financial institutions, but turned down, coz: Biotechnology is a new word  No assets for company  Woman entrepreneur is a rare word Recruiting staff  Only well qualified people In1985,  Employees join communist labor union  Kiran automated the whole plan
5. BREAK THROUGH Switched from “uninspiring low technology” to high end technology New technology replaced tray based conventional culture Plafractor Bioreactor: all m.o processes in a computerized closed system Acted as a technology bridge (platform technology) Enabled biocon to cross from ind. Enzymes to biopharmaceuticals Started R&D in immunosuppressants (reduce immune rejections)
6. N R Narayana MurthyFOUNDER & FORMER CEO OF INFOSYS SYSTEMS
7. Background Born at Mysore, graduated from NIT Mysore and post graduated from IIT Kanpur Worked as chief systems programmer at IIM Ahmedabad Started his own company named Softronics in 1976 When company failed he joined Patni computer systems in Pune After settling down in Pune he founded Infosys in 1981, with initial capital injection of Rs 10000 which was funded by his wife Sudha Murthy He was the CEO of Infosys for around 21 years and was succeeded by his cofounder Nandan Nilekani in 2002 Murthy serves as an independent director on the corporate boards of HSBC and has served as a director on the boards of DBS Bank, Unilever, ICICI and NDTV. He also serves as a member of the advisory boards and councils of several educational and philanthropic institutions, including Cornell University, INSEAD, Ford Foundation, the UN Foundation.
8. Circumstances Murthy, a self proclaimed socialist in the mid 70s was jailed for 72 hours in Bulgaria A leader needs to show his or her sacrifice and commitment Trust in God, But Verify with Data Keep the Faith Infosys won a contract from Reebok in the early 90s Hire a Good Accountant, Even if he is Argumentative
9. What he did differently? Decided to share a portion of its equity with employees Leave the Family Out Dont be a Pushover Brand-aid First, Get Clinical Founders Keepers, but Not Forever