2. What is Management The creation of a technical & human environment that supports optimum utilisation of resources and competencies for achieving organisational goals.
3. What is Human Resource Management The people’s dimension of management The management function which aims at ensuring the availability of a competent & committed workforce i.e the right people at the right place & time. It helps recruit, select, train & develop members for an organisation.
5. The Functions HR Planning Job Anaysis & Design Recruitment & Selection Employee Procurement Induction & Placement Training & Development Performance Appraisal Job Evalutation Remuneration Employee Communication Development, motivation & Negotiation with Trade Unions maintenance Industrial Relations Motivation Welfare Safety Health
6. Functions of HRMANAGERIAL OPERATIVEFUNCTIONS FUNCTIONS Planning Staffing Development Organising Compensation Directing Motivation Controlling Maintenance Integration
7. Operative functions of HRSTAFFING Job analysis, HRP, Recruitment, Selection, Placement, Induction, Internal Mobility Competency profiling, Training andDEVELOPMENT development, Performance & potential management, Career management, 360 degree feedback Job design, Work scheduling, JobCOMPENSATION evaluation, Compensation& MOTIVATION administration, Incentives and benefits
8. Operative functions of HR (contd.) Health, Safety, Welfare,MAINTENANCE Social security Employment relations, Grievance,INTEGRATION Discipline, Trade unions, Participation, Collective bargaining
9. The 4 aspects of HRM Personnel aspect – Recruitment, Selection, Transfer, Promotion etc. Development aspect – Training, areer Planning, quality of work life , employee participation schemes. Welfare aspect – Housing, Lunch room, Health and Safety, Transport, education etc. Industrial relations aspect – Union Management
10. Evolution of HRM Influenced by : Taylor’s Scientific management Hawthorne Studies Behavioural School (Maslow, Herzberg, Mc.Gregor) IT sector boom Upto 1930’s : Personnel Mgt. Contemporary : HRM , HRD, HCM India : Pioneered by Udai Pareek & T.V Rao Early adopters : BHEL , SBI, SAIL, ONGC
11. Factors EXTERNAL POLITICAL LEGAL BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT – GLOBALISATION MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS DOWNSIZING /RIGHTSIZING NATIONAL ECONOMY DEMOGRAPHIC Diverse workforce Knowledge workforce / intellectual capital More Women in workforce Changing family structure Contingent workforce
12. TECHNOLOGICAL Occupational Shift (manufacturing ….. services) managing a virtual workforce managing employee alienation training & retraining employees to manage obsolescence providing work life balance IPRs Need based technology – not fads
16. HR SHOULD ACT AS AN ENABLER FOR SOCIAL BUSINESSOn the social business news blog Michael Brito posted about the SHRM surveythat finds that HR would play an increasingly important role in Social Business.However the crux of that involvement focuses on "creating and enforcing a socialmedia policy“A company cannot be asocial inside and social outside.HR has to evolve to catch up with the rest of the organization to embrace social.