Apple inc. Type public Traded as : nasdaq: apple nasdaq-100 component S&p 500 component Industry : computer hardware computer software computer electronics digital distributionFounded April 1, 1976(incorporated January 3, 1977 as apple computer, inc.).Founder(s) steve jobs. steve wozniak ronald wayne
• Headquarters : Apple Campus, 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, California, U.S.• Number of locations : 357 retail stores (as of October 2011)• Key people : Tim Cook (CEO) Arthur Levinson (Chairman) Sir Jonathan Ive (SVP, Industrial Design) Steve Jobs (Chairman, 1976-1985/2011; CEO, 1997-2011)•Services• apple store • App store• apple store online • iTunes store• ibooks • icloud• Apple Computer, Inc. is an American multinational corporation that designs andsells consumer electronics, computer software, and personal computers•. The companys best-known hardware products are the Macintosh line ofcomputers, the iPod, the iPhones and the iPad.• Its software includes the Mac OS X operating system the iTunes media browser.
Apple history• 1. 1976-1980: the early years.• 2. 1981-1985: lisa & macintosh.• 3. 1986-1993: rise & fall.• 4. 1994-1997: attempts at reinvention.• 5. 1998-2005: return to profitability.• 6. 2005-2007: the intel transition.• 7. 2007-2011: Iphone, ipod touch & ipad.• 8. 2011-present : Steve jobs era.
1. 1976-1980: the early years.• Apple was established on April 1, 1976 by Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Ronald Wayne, to sell the Apple I personal computer kit.• The Apple I went on sale in July 1976 and was market-priced at $666.66.• Apples first product, was sold as an assembled circuit board and lacked basic features such as a keyboard, monitor, and case.• The Apple II was introduced on April 16, 1977 at the first West Coast Computer Faire. 2. 1981-1985: Lisa & Macintosh.• The Model from Apples "1984" ad, set in a dystopian future modeled,after set the tone for the introduction of the Macintosh.• In 1984, Apple next launched the Macintosh.•In 1985 a power struggle developed between Jobs and CEO John Sculley,who had been hired two years earlier…. Jobs resigned from Apple andfounded NeXT Inc. the same year.
3. 1986-1993: rise & fall.• The Macintosh Portable was Apples first "portable" Macintosh computer, released in 1989.• Apple introduced the PowerBook in 1991.• The success of the PowerBook and other products brought increasing revenue.• Microsoft continued to gain market share with Windows, while Apple was delivering a richly engineered, but expensive, experience. 4. 1994-1997: attempts at reinvention.• The Newton was Apples first foray into the PDA markets,as well as one of the first in the industry.• In 1994, Apple allied with IBM and Motorola in the AIMalliance.• Apple introduced the Power Macintosh, the first of manyApple computers to use IBMs PowerPC processor.
5. 1998-2005: return to profitability.• On August 15, 1998, Apple introduced a new all-in-one computer reminiscent of the Macintosh 128K the iMac.• The iMac design team was led by Jonathan Ive, who would later design the iPod and the iPhone.• iMac sold almost 800,000 units in its first five months.• On October 23 of the same year, Apple announced the iPod portable digital audio player. 6. 2005-2007: the Intel transition.• The Mac Book Pro(15.4" widescreen) was Apples first laptop withan Intel microprocessor.• On January 10, 2006, the new Mac Book Pro and iMac became the first Apple computers to use Intels Core Duo CPU.• Apple also introduced Boot Camp to help users install Windows XP or Windows Vista on their Intel Macs alongside Mac OS X.
7. 2007-2011: I phone, iPod touch & iPad.• Apple launched the App Store to sell third-party applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch.• Store sold 60 million applications and brought in $1 million daily on average.• Apple released the fourth generation iPhone, which introduced video calling, multitasking, and a new uninsulated stainless steel design.• Apple announced a large screen, tablet-like media device known as the iPad on January 27, 2010. 8. 2011-present : Steve jobs era.• On Jan. 17, 2011, Jobs announced in an internal Apple memo that hewould take another medical leave of absence, to allow him to focus on hishealth.• Apple became the most valuable consumer-facing brand in the world.• In June 2011, Steve Jobs surprisingly took the stage and unveiled iCloud.• On Oct. 4, 2011, Apple announced the iPhone 4S, One day later, Appleannounced that Jobs had died, marking the end of an era for Apple Inc.
Apple products:• 1. MAC & ACCESSORIES.• 2. IPAD.• 3. IPOD.• 4. IPHONE.• 5. APPLE TV.• 6. APPLE SOFTWARE.
1. MAC & ACCESSORIES.• Mac mini, consumer sub-desktop computer and server introduced in 05.• iMac, consumer all-in-one desktop computer introduced in 1998.• Mac Pro, workstation-class desktop computer introduced in 2006.• MacBook, consumer notebook introduced in 2006.• MacBook Pro, professional notebook introduced in 2006.• MacBook Air, ultra-thin, ultra-portable notebook. 2. IPAD.• On January 27, 2010, Apple introduced their much-anticipated media tablet, the iPad running a modified version of iOS.• On March 2, 2011, Apple introduced an updated iPad model which had a faster processor and two cameras on the front and back.• The iPad 2 also added support for optional 3G service.
3. IPOD.• iPod family, featuring the iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, iPod Classic, and iPod Touch.• The iPod is the market leader in portable music players.• Apple has partnered with Nike to offer the Nike+iPod Sports Kit enabling runners to synchronize and monitor their runs with iTunes and the Nike+ website. 4. IPHONE. • The iPhone features a 3.5-inch (89 mm) touch screen display, 4, 8, or 16 GB of memory, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi. • On June 9, 2008, Steve Jobs announced that the iPhone 3G would be available on July 11, 2008. • On October 4, 2011, Apple unveiled the iPhone 4S. • Apple sold 4 million iPhone 4S phones in the first three days after its release.
5. APPLE TV.• At the 2007 Macworld conference, Jobs demonstrated the Apple TV.• The Apple TV originally incorporated a 40 GB hard drive for storage, includes outputs for HDMI and component video, and maximum resolution of 720p.• In September 2009, Apple discontinued the original 40 GB Apple TV and now continues to produce and sell the 160 GB Apple TV. 6. APPLE SOFTWARE.• Apple develops its own operating system to run on Macs, Mac OS X, the latest version being Mac OS X Lion (version 10.7) .• Apple also independently develops computer software titles for its Mac OS X operating system.• Apple also offers online services with MobileMe (formerly Mac).
purchase of companies.• 1996 - takeover of NeXT for $ 430 million.• July 2009 - takeover Placebase, which is developing on-line maps.• December 2009 - takeover Lala for $ 35 million.• January 2010 - takeover of Quattro Wireless, which specializes in mobile advertising with 274 million dollars. Which is founded for the service iAd• April 2010 - takeover Siri for $ 200 million.• September 2010 - takeover of Polar Rose. The company worked to develop tools to detect peoples faces.• September 2011 - takeover Wi-Gear. Which is engaged in production of wireless headphones for devices with iOS.• December 2011 - the absorption of C3 Technologies. Cartographic company that was developing a new generation of cards.• January 2012 - takeover Anobit Technologies, specializing in the production of memory chips for 400-500 million dollars.
ANALYSIS STRENGTHS WEAKNESSESOne of the oldest hardware Focusing on internal engg.manufacturers. more than marketingControl over the product. High priceHigh quality product. Consumer faced problemsEasy to carry products with faulty batteriesHuge consumer base loyal Had difficulties on some ofto apple its products’ quality controlProduct diversification Not issued dividends
ANALYSIS OPPORTUNITIES THREATSLess expensive new product Pressure from competitors.lines with quality. Substitution effectProduct line is functional andattractive. Technology changes at a rapid rate.Flexibility to its users. Forced to develop newipods are able to communicate. products.New car models with ipodconnectivity.
THREAT OF NEW ENTRANTSStreaming audio and video with v-cast (Verizon)On demand online services (similar to itunes)New entrants with disruptive technology (The “next google”)
VISION AND MISSIONVISION “Man is the creator of change in this world. As such he should be above systems and structures, and not subordinate to theM.”MISSION “apple is coMMitted to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and internet offerings.”
FINANCE• In its fiscal year ending in September 2011, Apple Inc. hit new heights financially with $108 billion in revenues (increased significantly from $65 billion in 2010) and nearly $82 billion in cash reservers. Apple achieved these results while losing market share in certain product categories.
conclusion• Apple is one of the biggest electronic gadgets industry in the world. It has posted revenue of $ 108 billion.• established in 1976, apple has its network around the world. It is the first company to launch iPod and iPad.• It is a public oriented company & has computer hardware and software, electronic industries as well.• Head quarters are at U.S. & has highest services all over the globe• In spite of high strengths, company’s high prices products, faulty battery back ups of laptops and mobile phones prove a drawback for company as well as its products.