2. 1. This mythical character has a service in Karnataka named after it. Identify the character.
3. ANSWER Indra’s elephant Airavata
4. 2. What sporting event ?
5. ANSWER Hammer Throw
6. 3. Who lends his name to this object?
7. ANSWER Bunsen
8. 4 . Where was this picture taken? Or, what are we looking at?
9. ANSWER The tombs of Shah Jahan and Mumtaz within the Taj
10. 5. What are these people fleeing from?
11. ANSWER Locusts
12. 6. The name of which weapon actually refers to this normally unseen part of the mechanism?
13. ANSWER Revolvers, from the revolving cylinder shown
14. 7. Which country? What geographic formation associated with the country do you see in the ad?
15. ANSWER Maldives, atolls.
16. 8. Identify structure. Which country’s first WH site?
17. ANSWER The Tower of Jam, Afghanistan
18. 9. Which explorer was the first to reach both the North and the South Poles?
19. ANSWER Roald Amundsen
20. 10. Which Dutchman has a state in Australia named after him?
21. ANSWER Abel Tasman
22. 11 Portrait of X, In Y’s House in Atlanta, Georgia. Name X and Y.
23. ANSWER Scarlett O’Hara and Margaret Mitchell
24. 7. 12. This Asian capital city was designed by the Greek urban planner Constantinos A. Doxiadis through the 1960s. His plan revolved around the building of the city in sectors, each containing four sub-sectors separated by green-belts and parks. Name city.
25. ANSWER Islamabad
26. 13. Biswajeet was probably the first Bollywood hero to do it—in a film titled Biwi Aur Makan. It proved so popular that he had to repeat it in a film titled Kismat. Others to attempt it include Kishore Kumar in Half Ticket, Amitabh briefly in Laawaris, and Javed Jaffrey, Naseeruddin Shah and Aditya Pancholi in Tehelka. What?
27. ANSWER Dress up in women’s clothing
28. 14. The John Llewellyn Rhys Prize is awarded to a young writer under thirty-five from the Commonwealth nations. The first Indian to win the prize did so for a book titled The Room on the Roof . Who was this writer?
29. ANSWER Ruskin Bond
30. 15. Since 2004, his name figures in the names of two countries. Who? How?
31. ANSWER Bolivia and the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.
32. 5 What common inspiration do these three visuals share? 16. Three separate tributes to which literary work?
34. ANSWER Tributes to Alice in Wonderland
35. 17 Evocative moment from film of the book. Which book ?
36. ANSWER The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand.
37. 10. 18. He did something in 2000 which made him a national celebrity and got him modelling deals with biscuit companies among other things. Who? What did he do?
38. ANSWER Harshvardhan Nawathe, first to make a crore on KBC.
39. 19. Identify this material from the natural world, now known to us as a colour. Also give the Greek word for the material .
40. ANSWER Amber/electrum.
41. 20. Which mythical figure do we see being punished in this stamp?
42. ANSWER Prometheus. He was condemned to have an eagle peck at his liver in perpetuity for the crime of stealing fire from the gods and handing it to men.