METRO is a multimodal, full-service transit agency created to help meet the mobility needs of the Greater Houston region. METRO has evolved into a regional transit system that provides a wide array of services to everyone within METRO’s service region and beyond. Over the years, Houston transit authority has built an impressive fleet of modern vehicles, supported by state-of-the-art technology and well-trained staff to provide quality service to all its customers.
METRO FACILITATES EFFORTS TO REDESIGN COMMUNITIES TO PROVIDE MULTI-PURPOSE DEVELOPMENT, SAFE PEDESTRIAN NETWORKS, AND FREQUENT, RELIABLE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SERVICE. ALL THESE OBJECTIVES ARE CRITICAL STEPS IN DEVELOPING MORE TRAVEL OPTIONS FOR OLDER ADULTS. BUILDING MORE “LIVABLE COMMUNITIES” AROUND, AND WITH EASY ACCESS TO OUR TRANSIT SYSTEM IS A FIRST BIG STEP TO EXPANDING MOBILITY FOR OLDER ADULTS. CREATE A SENIOR FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE -- CLEAR AND CONCISE MESSAGES/INSTRUCTIONS FOR SENIORS-- PROGRAMS AND SERVICES THAT OFFER CONVENIENCE EXAMPLE – SENIORS NO LONGER HAVE TO VISIT THE RIDE STORE FOR THEIR SENIOR DISCOUNT Q CARD.--ACCESSIBILITY – ALWAYS BE MINDFUL OF PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS IE. VISION, HEARING, LIGHTING.--SAFETY – LIMIT THEIR EXPOSURE TO ANY POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SITUATIONS AT TRANSIT FACILITIES, AND ON BOARD THE BUS OR RAIL
PROVIDING EASY ACCESS TO OUR TRANSIT SYSTEM REMAINS A TOP PRIORITY FOR METRO. THE EXPANSION OF METRORAIL REPRESENTS A GIANT STEP TOWARDS THAT IMPORTANT GOAL. OLDER ADULTS STAND TO BENEFIT SIGNIFICANTLY FROM METRO’S TRANSIT EXPANSION IT LEADS TO GREATER TRANSIT CONNECTIVITY AND AN OVERALL IMPROVEMENT IN TRANSIT SERVICE. PERSUADING OLDER ADULTS TO USE TRANSIT SERVICES CAN BE A CHALLENGE; HOWEVER, WITH THE RIGHT SET OF MIND, AND PROPER ASSISTANCE, WE ALL CAN MOTIVATE SENIORS TO GIVE TRANSIT ANOTHER LOOK. BUS RIDING IS A POSITIVE CHOICE:It is safe, affordable and easy way to stay connectedIt is a ticket to independenceIt can improves Quality of Life for Older Adults
MESSAGE OUTLINE - PERSUADING OLDER ADULTS TO RIDE METRO--METRO IS NOW 100% ADA ACCESSIBLE--CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ALWAYS THERE TO HELP OLDER ADULTS--PAYING TRANSIT FARE HAS NEVER BEEN EASIER
METRO's fixed-route buses are now 100% accessible requiring no advanced notice to ride. We encourage persons with disabilities to take advantage of the freedom, independence, flexibility, and reliability that is provided by our accessible bus network.Some of the accessible features include:Ramps or lifts on all of our buses for riders using wheelchairs or scooters or ambulatory riders who have difficulty reaching the first step. Two priority seating areas for elderly and people with disabilities, equipped with an easy-to-reach stop call bell and special securement belts designed to secure patrons who use a wheelchair or scooter. Automated announcements of major stops, main intersections and transfer points along the route and external announcements of bus route numbers and name at bus stops. And many more accessible features.
SIGNIFICANT TIME AND EFFORT HAS BEEN INVESTED IN CUSTOMER SERVICE TRAINING FOR METRO EMPLOYEES.PROVIDING CUSTOMERS WITH CONVENIENT AND RELIABLE SERVICE IS THE KEY TO SERVING OLDER ADULTS
TECHNOLOGICAL FEATURES INCLUDING SMART CARD TECHNOLOGY IN THE FORM OF THE Q CARD MAKES RIDING METRO EASIER THAN EVER. METRO BUSES AND TRAINS ARE EQUIPPED WITH THE LATEST TRANSIT INNOVATIONS WHICH BRING COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE TO TRANSIT SERVICE.
MOSTSEASONED BUS RIDERS KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF TRAVELING VIA METRO. IT IS ALWAYS VERY HELPFUL TO SHARE SOME OF THAT KNOWLEDGE WITH NEW, LESS EXPERIENCED RIDERS ESPECIALLY OLDER ADULTS TRYING METRO FOR THE FIRST TIME, OR USING TRANSIT SERVICE AGAIN AFTER MANY YEARS. HOPEFULLY, THEY TOO WILL SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE WITH OTHER SENIORS ONCE THEY LEARN EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT METRO.
1. Bridging the Gap: Transportation Options for Older Adults<br />October 17, 2011<br />
2. Expanding Mobility for Older Adults<br /><ul><li>Build more “Livable Communities” around, and with easy access to transit system.
3. Expand the coordination of transit and social service support networks in our region.
4. Identify critical partnerships and funding opportunities.
5. Integrate local transit services on a regional scale through mobility management programs.
6. CREATE A SENIOR FRIENDLY TRANSIT ATMOSPHERE </li></li></ul><li>Bus Riding is APositive <br />Choice for Older Adults<br /><ul><li>Transit is a safe, affordable, and easy way to stay connected to family and to the community around them
7. Transit is a ticket to independence and control
8. Transit enhances the quality of life for many Older Adults</li></li></ul><li>Key Points About <br />METRO Service<br /><ul><li>METRO is now 100% Accessible
9. METRO Customer Service is always there to help Seniors
10. Paying Transit fares has never been easier</li></li></ul><li>METRO Service is 100% Accessible<br />
11. Customer Service is Always There <br />To Help Older Adults<br />
12. Paying Transit Fares <br />Has Never Been This Easy<br />
13. Travel Tips for Seniors<br /><ul><li>Wear Comfortable Clothes
14. Carry Umbrella at all Times
15. Write Down Important Information such as Destination and telephone numbers.
16. Confirm Bus Route and Stop with Bus Operator </li></li></ul><li>Thank You<br />