Tanjore means from Thanjavur , a
place in Tamil Nadu.
• Originated in the reign of Chola
dynasty as seen in temples like
Brihadeeshwara built in 1010AD by
• The style of Tanjore paintings are
Painting on wall of Brihadeeshwara
• Artform dates to 1600AD during rule of
Nayaks when they encouraged art chiefly
classical dance and music.
• Later in 18th century Gupta period also
encouraged and almost every house had a
• The painting decorated palaces and temples.
• Tanjore paintings are known for surface
richness, vivid colours, compact composition.
• Main feature- Gold foils are used.
• Previously rubies and precious stones were
• Today semi-precious stones and glass is used
• They are panel paintings done on solid wood
• Cloth is spread on wooden plank usually of
• Limestone paste to smoothen surface and gum to
stick the cloth.
• A sketch of painting is made on cloth.
• Semi-precious stones are stuck
• Embossing and relief work is done.
• Gold foil is applied
• Colours are then added.
Figures are usually well-rounded.
Usually red and green used for background
Yellow for Goddess
Blue for Vishnu
White for Nataraja