Soil and water analysis
Dept. Soil Science & Soil
PMAS Arid Agriculture University
Internship In Soil & Water
Testing Laboratory Layyah
31-07-13 to 30-09-13
Introduction About Soil and
Water Sampling and Field Visit
• Soil sampling was not difficult but it was new
experience for me.
• Weather was so hot and I was in field at 12:00
• Without feeling any hesitations I just concentrate
on our work which was assign to the District
Officer Dept. of Soil & Water Conservation
Laboratory Dr Abdul Ghafar.
Infrastructure Of Soil & Water
Testing lab Layyah
• Building of Soil & Water testing lab consist of
1 soil & water testing sample preparation room
1 Soil & Water Testing room
2 room for agriculture officers
1 room for District Agriculture officer
Soil & Water Testing Laboratory
Lab equipment was not in good condition due to lack of
There equipment has become olds and experiment result
are not satisfactory.
Soil testing lab has almost necessary equipment like PH
meter ,EC meter, spectrophotometer, flame photo meter,
All types of glassware is also available in lab.
Establishment Staff Soil & Water
District Agriculture Officer
2 Agriculture Officers
2 Lab Attendants
1 Lab Technician
Experimental Procedures Of Soil planning
• Two sample was taken on one place,first was on 1 to
6 inch and second was 6 to 12 inch.
• Both sample was collected in separate plastic bag.
• On plastic bag number was mention with pointer for
• Almost 7 sample was collected in one plot.
• 70 to 80 sample was collected in farmer field which
was 12 acre
• After drying, granding,sieving the sample they
are used for test.
• Soil organic matter, soil phosphorus and soil
textured ,soil Ec and soil pH was find.
Procedure to find the soil phosphorus
• Weigh the 2.5 g soil.
• Add 50ml NACHO3
• Shake for 30 Mint .
• Filter the soil solution
• Add the 5ml filtrate in 25 ml volumetric flask.
• ADD the 5ml mix reagent in flask.
• Before adding the mix reagent in flask 0.264g
ascorbic acid is added in 50 ml mix reagent.
• Make the volume 25ml.
• Blank is also prepared.
• Then note the reading on spectrophoto meter
. Note the reading check on graph then multiply
• Volume of flask
ppm of p in soil
Volume of soil filtrate Weight of soil
Criteria of P for soil
Soil Texture & Phosphorus
Sandy loam, sandy
Soil Organic Matter
• Take 1g soil
• Add 10ml K2Cr2O7 and shake.
• Add 20 ml H2SO4 and shake.
• Add 200 ml water and shake.
• after cooling add 0.7 g NaF and shake.
• Also put the few drop of indicator.
• Blank is also prepared.
• Titrate by FeSO4 , first blank then sample.
• After titration note the reading.
• We can find the organic matter by using this
(blank – reading)o.698
CO3• TAKE the 10 ml water in conical flask
• Add the few drop of indicator phenolphthalein
• If pink color appear CO3- is present .
• If pink color appears then titrate by H2SO4 until
• 0.8 × reading= CO3-
HCO3• By using the same flask add the few drop of
• Titrate with 0.o1n H2SO4 .
• when brick like color is induce then note the
• by using this formula
• (reading × 0.4)=HCO3-
• Take 10 ml water in petri dish from sample
• Put the 1 to 2 drop of buffer solution.
• Then put 1to 2 drop of chrome black.
• The titration should takes place with burrate, in
burrate EDTA solution is used.
• When the color of water is green blackish.