1965 Creation of Benetton group
1968 Opened first store at Belluno
1969 Started capturing new markets (Paris)
1974 Sisley enters group brand portfolio
1978 Group exports 60% of production
1980 First store in New York in Madison Avenue
1982 First store in Tokyo, collaborated with Olivero
1983 Group enters F1 to sponsor Tyrrel team
1985 Won an advertisement award
1988 The group listed on Milan Stock Exchange
1989 Got listed in New York Stock Exchange
1991 Creation of Colors magazine
1994 Creation of Fabrica, its communication
2003 Took a step back and gave more responsibilty
2005 Presence in 120 countries and 5000 stores.
• Measures of Brand Equity for UCB:
Brand Asset Evaluator
Brand Equity Ten
MEASURES OF BRAND EQUITY
• The method was developed by Young &
• It measures a brand on five fundamental
measures of equity value.
BRAND ASSET EVALUATOR
- The degree to which the brand is seen as
different from others.
- Benetton is famous for its unique concepts.
- The meaning of the logo is Uniqueness.
- The style, color scheme and merchandise is
very different from other brands.
- It has unique in house manufacturing process.
- The brand has always been famous for unique
advertising content. E.g. racism, unhate
campaign are few advertisements.
- It measures the brand’s ability to meet future
consumer’s needs and also to attract new
- Benetton is among top apparel brands
- Although it has lost some of its shine in past
decade to competitors like Zara.
- Still because of its strong brand name and style
statement, Benetton is strong enough to attract
customers towards their offerings.
- It measures the overall size of the brand’s
franchise (not necessarily profitability).
- Benetton has a worldwide presence in 120
countries with 6500 stores.
- The brand is doing well in most of the
countries especially European countries.
- It measures how well the brand is regarded
- Benetton has huge fan following with over 5.5
million likes on its facebook page.
- It is considered as a premium brand and is liked
by teens, youth and even by people in corporate
- It measures how familiar the consumers are
with the brand.
- Benetton is a global brand and is there in the
market since 1960s.
- They are low on promotions and have different
strategy from competitors.
- Because of its strong brand name and
merchandise, they are able to communicate well
with the customers.
BENETTON Brand Strength
(Knowledge & Esteem)
• UCB emerged out as the
most loyal brand. Price
attacks and non-
availability did not deter
the respondents from
• Majority of people (50%) perceive United
Colours of Benetton as an expensive but
affordable brand, only 8 % of the
respondents though that UCB is an
inexpensive brand, 20 % thinks that it is
unaffordable and for 22 % people UCB is a
value for money brand.
• This shows that UCB is considered to be
an expensive brand but this high price is
justified by the quality, the designs they
offer and the variety they offer.
• Thus we can conclude that UCB is the
brands which is considered expensive by
majority (50% ) of respondents and are
considered inexpensive by least (8% )
number of people.
• The extent to which a brand is considered to
provide good quality products is known as
• Perceived quality is high when the quality
offered by the product/brand is a reason to
• This graph shows that UCB
& Levis scored the highest
in terms of Perceived
Quality (Score –99). This
was followed by Reebok
with a score of 93 and then
Pepe Jeans and Spykar with
scores of 89 and 78
• The respondents were asked
to rate the brands on a four
point scale – Superior,
Good, Acceptable and Poor.
These four criteria were
given the weight age of 4, 3,
2 &1respectively. Thus, a
total quality score was
• 30% of the respondents are highly satisfied with
their experience with UCB. Also, 30% of the
respondents are satisfied, 10% of the respondents
are delighted with the UCB experience.
• On the other hand, 20% of the respondents are
dissatisfied and 10% are highly dissatisfied with the
experience. Reasons for satisfaction were good
quality, good in – store experience, variety, good
quality, good in exclusive designs.
• Thus, we can conclude that 70% of the respondents
are satisfied with their UCB experience whereas
30% of the respondents are dissatisfied.
• When asked about how United colors of
Benetton is different from other brands, 30% of
the respondents said that it is the variety which
differentiates UCB from other brands.
• Another important point of differentiation is
Design. 25% of the respondents think that UCB
is different from its competitors because of
designs it offers.
• 20% and 15% think that price and quality
differentiates UCB from its competitors.
• Only 10% of the respondents think that UCB is
not at all different from its competitors.
• From the above chart we can conclude that UCB
enjoys substantial amount of rentietion in minds
of its customer in the sense that 90% of the
brand differentiation in minds of its customer in
the sense that 90% of the respondents think that
UCB is different from other brands in some or
the other way.
• UCB did not fare well and it stood fourth. This
shows that visibility is less and it is not
properly communicated to the consumers
• To know the brand awareness
the respondents were asked to
indentify logo/picture of the
• The awareness was the highest
in case of Pepe jeans(87%).Levi
and Reebook stood a close
second. The awareness of UCB
is bit less(almost 67%) as
compared to other brands
because of visibility factor
• To know the Brand
asked that which brand
would they prefer to
• Interbrand is a UK based valuation firm
• As per them, brand valuation included
o Business prospects of the brand
o Its market environment
o Customer perception.
• The evaluation was done on the basis of 7 criteria
INTERBRAND’S BRAND VALUATION
• UCB is leader in comparison to Levis, Reebok,
etc. in terms of variety.
• UCB founded in 1965 and is having sales
growth till date.