MapFish: Integraler Bestandteil von OpenLayers Mapbender: Optional, Mapbender pflegt noch alternativ einen eigenen WMS-Viewer Wms-Viewer ist sehr schlank, es gibt viele Widgets dafür
1. Download: http://arnulf.us/publications/OSGIS-10_arnulf_christl.pdf ./OSGIS-10_arnulf_christl.odt OSGeo Outlook Presentation Arnulf Christl OSGeo President OSGIS 10 – Nottingham, UK
2. Content <ul><li>Disclaimer
3. OSGeo Presentation
4. OSGeo Outlook
5. Thoughts on the Virtual Nature of Software </li></ul>Reality Check: Something is (still) missing Property rules the World <ul><li>Future Perspectives: Vision, Mission and Goal </li></ul>
6. Disclaimer Who am I to know anything more about the future than you? <ul><li>I have been with OSGeo when it was born
7. I am director and president
8. I am the prophet
9. I am... </li></ul>...just a humble being traveling way too much.
10. Introducing OSGeo <ul><li>OSGeo is a non-profit organization created to support and build the highest-quality Open Source geospatial software.
11. The foundation provides financial, organizational, and legal support to the broader Open Source geospatial community.
12. It also serves as an independent legal entity to which community members can contribute code, funding and other resources, secure in the knowledge that their contributions will be maintained for public benefit. </li></ul>Dor more details see the very good "A not so short introduction to OSGeo" slides at: http://www.osgeo.org/node/764
62. OSGeo-ES (Hispano Hablante) España, Cataluña, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, México, and many more...
63. Canada (Ottawa, Chiqutimi, Victoria, Nova Scotia, ...)
64. United States of America (California, NY, Denver, Boston, …)
65. ...and many more at http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:Local_Chapters </li></ul>
66. Summary <ul><li>Local Chapters are the most important aspect of OSGeo
67. The Incubation process is a highly useful and accepted tool to doublecheck, create and maintain quality software
68. OSGeo Software is recognized as a quality brand
69. New projects emerge between mature existing OSGeo products and link back to mainstream IT </li></ul>OSGeo is here to stay!
70. Thank you for your Attention, and see you at FOSS4G This slide set is copyrighted to the commons Author: Arnulf Christl , Metaspatial 6 th to 9 th September 2010 FOSS4G: The Global Free and Open Source Conference for the Geospatial Domain With friendly support by: Metaspatial
71. ? Wait a moment ...something is missing!
72. What is Missing? Data! ?
73. What's Missing? Data! ?
74. What's Missing? Data! 27
75. Why is that? Because Data is perceived as a property ...as if it were a material thing. Something to sit on in a way that no one else can sit on it. This perception is wrong . Besitz! Eigentum! 27
76. The Nature of Software is Immaterial <ul><li>Software is immaterial ! It is not matter & not physical!
77. As such it can be copied at a very low cost.
78. This is a phenomenal feature because it multiplies by giving away. This is a foreign concept in a material world.
79. Software is the only good that only grows by giving it away! </li></ul>& Data are 27 Software is untouchable
80. The Nature of Software is Immaterial Software can be copied and transported using <ul><li>Tape, Floppy disk, Hard disk, Memory Stick & Card, iPo/ad
81. Wired network, Radio, Microwave, Satellite
82. Email, FTP, HTTP, SCP, SMTP, …
83. pretty much anything… even Printed Paper! </li></ul>& Data are 27 How can you restrict something that cannot be locked away?
84. Legal Restriction: By Proprietary Licenses <ul><li>You are not allowed to copy
85. You are not allowed to modify
86. You are not allowed to give away
87. You are not allowed to improve
88. You are not allowed to install
89. You are not allowed to share
90. You are not allowed to... </li></ul>27 The Proprietary (Software) License Model
91. Political Restriction: By Embargo & Laws The US Export Restriction GeoDRM may be a good thing for: <ul><ul><li>Biological, Chemical, and Nuclear Weapons, ...
92. War, Desease, Terrorism, ... </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Maybe even Money, … ? </li></ul></ul>But, as we have just learned: You cannot prevent Software from spreading anywhere! OpenStreetMap Digital Restrictions Management Maps 27 It does not Work for Software... at all!
93. But: OSGeo is Truly Globalized Therefore OSGeo respects Local Rules and Regulations and Laws and Limitations. <ul><li>OSGeo's Vision is free software and data for a better world
94. OSGeo's Mission is to Educate why this make s Sense
95. OSGeo's Goal is to make Spatial Data Accessible </li></ul>You can join efforts, whether as data Provider , User or Advocate that we 27
96. Thank you for your Attention, and see you at FOSS4G This slide set is copyrighted to the commons Author: Arnulf Christl , Metaspatial 6 th to 9 th September 2010 FOSS4G: The Global Free and Open Source Conference for the Geospatial Domain With friendly support by: Metaspatial 27