2. In Vitro Fertilization ( IVF ) In vitro fertilization is an accepted medical treatment formany causes of infertility.“In vitro” literally means “outside of the body”, hence this is areproductive technology in which a female egg is joined with amale sperm cell in a test tube (in vitro). The first IVF baby, LouiseJoy Brown, was born in England in 1978. It is most often triedwhen other, less expensive fertility techniques have failed.Why the procedure is performed ? IVF is done to help a woman become pregnant. It is usedto treat many causes of infertility, including:
3. • Advanced age of the woman (advanced maternal age)• Damaged or blocked fallopian tubes (can be caused bypelvic inflammatory disease or prior reproductive surgery)• Endometriosis• Male factor infertility, including decreased sperm countand blockage• Unexplained infertilityFor IVF to be successful it typically requires healthy ova, sperm thatcan fertilize, and a uterus that can maintain a pregnancy. Due tothe costs of the procedure, IVF is generally attempted only afterless expensive options have failed.
4. What happens if a female dosent produce healthy eggs or if maleis sterile ? IVF may be done with a couple’s own eggs and sperm orwith donor eggs, sperm, or embryos. Some couples choose to usedonor eggs, sperm, or embryos because of genetic concerns.Donor eggs are used in approximately 10% of all assistedreproductive technology (ART) cycles.IVF can also be used with surrogacy where the woman providingthe egg isnt the same who will carry the pregnancy to term. Thismeans that IVF can be used for females who have already gonethrough menopause. The donated oocyte can be fertilized in acrucible. If the fertilization is successful, the embryo will betransferred into the uterus, within which it may implant. There are five basic steps to ivf
5. Step 1: stimulation / super ovulation Medicines, commonly called fertility drugs, are given tothe woman to boost her egg production. Normally, a womanproduces one egg per month. Fertility drugs tell the ovaries toproduce several eggs. During this step, the woman will haveregular transvaginal ultrasounds to examine the ovaries and bloodtests to check hormone levels. Step 2: egg retrieval A minor surgery, called follicular aspiration, is done toremove the eggs from the woman’s body. The surgery is normallydone as an outpatient procedure in the doctor’s office. Thewoman will be given medicines so she does not feel pain duringthe procedure. Using ultrasound images as a guide, the health careprovider inserts a thin needle through the vagina and into theovary and sacs (follicles) containing the eggs. The needle isconnected to a suction device, which pulls the eggs and fluid out ofeach follicle, one at a time.
6. The procedure is repeated for the other ovary. The woman mayhave some cramping after the surgery, but it usually goes awaywithin a day. In rare cases, a pelvic laparoscopy may be needed toremove the eggs.If a woman does not or cannot produce any eggs, donated eggsmay be used.Step 3: insemination and fertilization The man’s sperm is placed together with the best qualityeggs and stored in an environmentally controlled chamber. Themixing of the sperm and egg is called insemination. The spermusually enters (fertilizes) an egg a few hours after insemination. Ifthe doctor thinks the chance of fertilization is low, the laboratorystaff may directly inject the sperm into the egg. This is calledintracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI). Many fertility programsroutinely do ICSI on some of the eggs even if everything is normal.
7. Step 4: embryo culture When the fertilized egg divides, it becomes an embryo.Laboratory staff will regularly check the embryo to make sure it isgrowing properly. Within about 5 days, a normal embryo hasseveral cells that are actively dividing.Couples who have a high risk of passing a genetic (hereditary)disorder to a child may consider pre-implantation geneticdiagnosis (PGD). The procedure is done about 3 -4 days afterfertilization. Laboratory scientists remove a single cell from eachembryo and screen the material for specific genetic disorders.According to the American Society for ReproductiveMedicine, PGD can help parents decide which embryos toimplant, which decreases the chance of passing a disorder onto achild. The technique is controversial and not offered at all centers.
8. Step 5: embryo transfer Embryos are placed into the woman’s womb 3 - 5 daysafter egg retrieval and fertilization. The procedure is done in thedoctor’s office while the woman is awake. The doctor inserts a thintube (catheter) containing the embryos into the woman’svagina, through the cervix, and up into the womb. If an embryosticks to (implants) in the lining of the womb and grows, pregnancyresults.More than one embryo may be placed into the womb at the sametime, which can lead to twins, triplets, or more. The exact numberof embryos transferred is a complex issue that depends on manyfactors, especially the woman’s age. Unused embryos may befrozen and implanted or donated at a later date.Prognosis After embryo transfer, the woman may be told to rest forthe remainder of the day. Complete bed rest is not
9. Most women return to normal activities the next day.Women who undergo IVF must take daily shots or pills of thehormone progesterone for 8 - 10 weeks after the embryotransfer. Progesterone is a hormone produced naturally by theovaries that helps thicken the lining of the womb (uterus). Thismakes it easier for the embryo to implant. Too littleprogesterone during the early weeks of pregnancy may resultin a miscarriage.About 12 -14 days after the embryo transfer, the woman willreturn to the clinic so that a pregnancy test can be done.Call your health care provider right away if you had IVF andhave:
10. • A fever over 100.5 F (38 C)• Pelvic pain• Heavy bleeding from the vagina• Blood in the urineHow successful is in vitro fertilization The success rate of IVF clinics depends on a number offactors including patient characteristics and treatment approaches.It is also important to understand that pregnancy rates are not thesame as live birth rates. In the United States, the live birth rate foreach IVF cycle started is approximately:
11. • 30 to 35% for women under age 35• 25% for women ages 35 to 37• 15 to 20% for women ages 38 to 40• 6 to 10% for women ages over 40What is medical tourism? Medical tourism, also known as health tourism or health travel, isa term that describes travelling to a foreign country formedical, dental, or cosmetic treatment. It involves the benefit ofcost effective treatment, private medical care, in collaboration withthe tourism industry. The concept of medical tourism is fastgrowing in India and people from different part of the world arechoosing India as their desired destination.
12. Why Choose India?Medical tourism is a rapidly growing sector in India and millions ofmedical tourists from all over the world have come here toexperience a world-class healthcare service.In 2010, about 600,000 patients travelled to India from over 30countries for treatment, including the USA, Canada, UK, Russia, theMiddle East and Africa.According to a study by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)on healthcare, after software, the medical tourism industry ispoised to be the next big success story in India. It has predictedthat the industry will grow to earn additional revenue of $2.3billion by 2012 and will soon account for a major share of thecountry’s revenue.
13. There are several reasons behind this tremendous growth:Patients come to India to get specialized treatments notavailable in their home country. Indian hospitals excel inperforming complex cardiac surgeries, kidneytransplants, bone marrow transplants, orthopedicsurgeries, infertility treatments amongst their wide repertoire.India provides world-class quality treatments at a fraction ofthe priceof developed countries. The cost of medical treatmentin India is generally one tenth of western countries and amongthe cheapest in Asia.India has state of the art medical institutes and hospitals ofinternational standards with highly qualified medicalprofessionals.
14. These centers are backed by high quality equipment andtechnology. This fusion of highly qualifiedstaff assisted by the latestequipment gives India the edge over other countries.With hospitals and clinics in every region including urban, semi-urban, or rural parts of the country, India has ample choice interms of preferred destinations.In countries such as Canada and the UK, patients almost alwayshave to wait weeks and sometimes months to avail of medicaltreatments. In India the consultations with the doctors are promptand patients receive a turnaround to their treatment plan at aquicker pace.As English is a commonly spoken language in India, the patient willbe comfortable communicating with the doctors.
15. Medical tourists find that the cost of their treatment (including thereturn airfare, holiday and accommodation) leaves them with atotal bill substantially less than they would have spent just onhaving the procedure in the UK.Why Arman There are several concerns that flicker in the minds of theforeigners who come for treatment to India, particularly for firsttime fliers. The first among them is which hospital to choose fortheir treatment.India is flooded with hospitals, medical centers and hotels whichhave their websites that attract the foreign patients. This makesthem even more confused and the complexity of decision makingbecomes a challenging task.We, at Arman can address all these concerns and issues by actingas intermediary with hospitals, clinics, surgeons, hotels.
16. Arman is a healthcare facilitator that has painstakingly broughttogether highly qualified professionals and hospitals of repute andhealth care providers.We take the responsibility of screening the hospitals by checkingtheir track record, accreditations, associations and have partneredwith the best internationally accredited hospitals in India.Arman update and monitor our network of hospitals on a regularbasis and maintain a database on the hospital’s certifications, typeof facilities and other factors critical in choosing a medical center.Arman also negotiate a lower price from the hospital which foreignpatients would not get by directly approaching the hospitals Thishelps the patient to save a lot on the medical procedure costsWe provide assistance with logistics, documentations, permitsand other travel arrangements required for medical tourism.
17. Our coordinators are highly trained to foresee every need of thepatient and make the entire process hassle free from start to finish.They help the patient plan his medical procedures before leavinghome, and schedules all his appointments, surgery, treatmentsand plans for recuperation.This in turn helps the patient to choose the hospital according tohis convenience and also get a clear picture of the cost oftreatment, accommodation beforehand that helps them toarrange their finance.We are aware that a lot of trust is put in our hands and ensure thatthis trust is well placed by serving each patient individually withcare and comfort.How We WorkPatient query received by the patient himself or his doctor/hospital.
18. This query along with medical reports is forwarded to theconcerned hospitals to get expert opinionsAfter the hospitals respond, we create a package for the patientwhich includes recommendation on the treatments, duration ofstay, and the costs involved.The patient reviews the various options presented to him andmakes a decision based on budget and the line of treatmentrecommended by the doctors. Occasionally, a patient may clarifyhis concerns or questions he may have regarding the treatmentwith the doctor by telephone.In liaison with the patients, Arman representatives will make priorbookings with the hospital, airlines, hotels.Patient travels and checks into hospital to start the treatment. Weprovide assistance through out your stay in the hospital whichinclude pre and post opeartive care.
19. Once fit and able to travel, the patient if wishes can enjoy the vasttourist destinations within India before returning to their homecountry fully rejuvenated. (at an additionalcost)(ebranding/mum/ts/19)Arman Health Care FacilitatorsOUR OFFICE IN INDIA422, Bonanza, B Wing,Sahar Plaza Complex, Next to KohinoorHotel,Andheri Kurla Road, Andheri East Mumbai India 4000059.Contact: land line No: ( 022-28387433 )Email :email@example.com
20. OUR OFFICE IN CONGOArman Health care Facilitators,Gallery Saint-Pierre, 36 localUtexAfrica Advanced ,AV 374 VolonelMondjiba,Kinshasa /Ngaliema,DRC Mobile : +243998290384OUR OFFICE IN KENYAArman Health Care Facilitators C/O Doctor Pharma Kenya LimitedVision Tower, Muthithi Road,Westlands, Nairobi,Kenya.Contact: Telefax:(+254)722330329Email : firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb:-http://www.armancare.com/gynecology_fertility_treatments.html ebrandingindia_s21