don’t need to use Sir-s or Mdm-s, can just write the name (Patricia’s)
1. + Sec 1 Express English 28th Mar 2012 Informal Letter Writing 1 Arman Alluwie TP2 SHSS
2. + 2 Administration: March Holidays Picture A Dayhttp://armanalluwie.blogspot.com/2012/03/english-march-holidays-picture-day.html Arman Alluwie TP2 SHSS
3. + 3 Feedback: Group Sharing Activity Presentation Skills crucial for Polytechnic/ Junior College/ ITE helps when your already working Listening Skills Respecting the speaker Rowdy – Herding Mentality To be a good speaker, we must first know how to be a good listenerArman Alluwie TP2 SHSS
4. + 4 What did we do last week? Introduction to Informal Letters “the greatest love story ever told is your own” Read a good example of an Informal Letter 1. Audience who is the letter written to? who else would I write an informal letter to? 2. Purpose why was the letter written? what else can I write about in an informal letter?Arman Alluwie TP2 SHSS
5. + 5 What did we do last week? Introduction to Informal Letters 3. Context what makes the letter sound informal? what other ways can I make the letter sound informal?Arman Alluwie TP2 SHSS
6. + 6 What do we know about.. Informal Letters Audience Purpose Context Uncle Samuel to thank the Uncle for Dear Sir/ Mdm the offer/ opportunity Yours Sincerely to be sent „abroad‟ “Love” Parents share feelings eg. Ask about feelings eg. when abroad “I hope this letter finds you well” Friends to talk about not “Thanks” serious topics Teacher “much delight” with credits to …Arman Alluwie TP2 SHSS
7. + 7 Teacher- Student Expectations: Secrets of Success 1. Know what is coming out for the examinations 1. Often teachers give hints during the lesson 2. Informal Writing will be coming out for the Mid Years 2. Read up course content before coming for class 3. Pay attention to the lesson and take notes of points or examples not mentioned in the textbook/ worksheets etc. 4. Class Test (Informal Letter Writing): 11th April 32 more days to Mid Years!Arman Alluwie TP2 SHSS
8. + 8 Lesson Objectives By the end of the lesson, I would have understood the various elements of an informal letter understood what the introduction, main body, conclusion and the signature block contains. practiced writing an informal letterArman Alluwie TP2 SHSS
9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGr1lQAREB0 9
10. + 10 Elements of Informal Letters: Place both the “Sample Letter” and the “Format of an Informal Letter” on the table Do not turn over the pages until your instructed to do soArman Alluwie TP2 SHSS
11. + 11 Elements of Informal Letters: Address Address is your own eg. 123, Tampines Central 7 #03- 111 Singapore 520123 Format Block, Street Name (Line 1) neighbourhood Unit Number (Line 2) postman Postal Code (Line 3) post office No short forms/ abbreviationsArmanAlluwie TP2 SHSS
12. + 12 Elements of Informal Letters: Date spell the month out 6th March 2012 written in fullArman Alluwie TP2 SHSS
13. + 13 Elements of Informal Letters: Address, Date, Salutation Complete page 2 of the handoutArman Alluwie TP2 SHSS
14. + 14 Elements of Informal Letters Introductions Turn over to page 3 and complete the page Underline the parts of the paragraph where you find the answer “Pleasantry” noun [C usually plural] formal a polite and often slightly humorous remark, usually made to help other people feel relaxed
15. + 15 Introductions: Purpose of Letter I hope this letter finds you well. The letter you wrote me last week, offering to send me to vacation language school in England, was received with much delight in our household, but none are more excited and thankful than myself. I cannot begin to tell you how delighted I am at the prospect of spending six weeks in England at language school! Thank you for the wonderful offer, Uncle Samuel. Needless to say, I am more than happy to take you up on the generous offer and am writing to tell you that I would be happiest attending the Belleview School in North England for the six-week course.
16. + 16 Introductions: Exchanging Pleasantries I hope this letter finds you well. The letter you wrote me last week, offering to send me to vacation language school in England, was received with much delight in our household, but none are more excited and thankful than myself. I cannot begin to tell you how delighted I am at the prospect of spending six weeks in England at language school! Thank you for the wonderful offer, Uncle Samuel. Needless to say, I am more than happy to take you up on the generous offer and am writing to tell you that I would be happiest attending the Belleview School in North England for the six-week course.
17. + 17 Introductions: Exchanging Pleasantries I cannot believe that two weeks have gone by.. Thank you for such a great and wonderful time.. I cannot thank you enough for such a great time in.. It seems ages since we last saw each other… Thank you so much for giving me such a wonderful time.. Thanks a lot for spending time with me..
18. + 18 Elements of Informal Letters Main Body Let‟s take a look at the sample informal letter Underline the main point of each paragraph from paragraph 2 to paragraph 4 Do you notice anything similar or different?
19. + 19 Elements of Informal Letters: Conclusion Turn over to page 4 and complete the page
20. + 20 Elements of Informal Letters: Conclusion Uncle Samuel, thanks again for giving me this marvellous opportunity. As long as you have no objections, my choice is the Belleview School, and I cannot wait to visit you while I am there! Mum and Dad send all their love, and we would love for you to come to Singapore for a visit with me after the course in England ends. Thanks again Uncle Samuel! Take care and write back soon.
21. + 21 Elements of Informal Letters Signature Block Yours Truly Yours Affectionately Love XOXO
23. + 23 Letter Writing Practice Refer to Student HandoutArman Alluwie TP2 SHSS
24. + 24 Lesson Objectives Have I understood the various elements of an informal letter? understood what the introduction, main body, conclusion and the signature block contains? practiced writing an informal letter?Arman Alluwie TP2 SHSS